52 coaches online • Server time: 20:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

swilhelm73 wrote:
How is this really different from writing something in the match record for all to see anyway?

You have to happen to click that particular match report to see it. On top of it, there is a replay everyone can check, right there, and judge themselves what the situation was.

-Mnemon
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I foul... i have dps. I use claws, i want claws rsc players, and im generally unpleasant to play... or at least some times Very Happy i dont apologize for killing players, i laugh at my own players deaths, or at least try to. Dont expect anything from anyone, and dont agree upon anything. Fouling is fine. i dont drop names of ppl who foul in turn 8, allthough i do find it a little rude, sometimes grudges can be made in games. Its a game... play it like it is, and dont get huffed and puffed about it... you will ruin your own fun...

On a brighter note, i do love that guy who piled on with 4 norse blitzers and started yelling at me in spanish when i fouled him continually Wink gotta love that!
cthol

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

<Calling someone names will poison the atmosphere for sure.>

there's a difference between calling someone names and stating what their declared strategy is.

"this guy is a XXXXXXX i XXXXXX hate him, don't play this XXXXXXXXXX" is not on, but i think "this guy fouled me on turn 16 (which is true, people can verify this), so just bear that that in mind before playing him" is, i think, perfectly legit.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't play this guy he tries to score touchdowns and to win the game specially last turn touchdowns where i don't have enough time to score back on him.

If someone fouls you in turn 16 just live with it, its perfectly fine and within the rules, just like scoring a touchdown. Sure its not nice but the fact is your comments in the chat regarding the play style is just a frail cover for your real point which is moaning about it and basically telling others not to play that coach.

Put it in your match report if you wish, there is nothing stopping a coach thinking of playing someone to look at their match history and find out that way. If its in there and they don't check then play said coach and get turn 16 fouled then its their own fault. There is no need to actively make comments in the chat about it.

So stop moaning about something thats well within the rules and the rulebook.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, although I'm not sure I buy the counter arguments entirely, I guess enough of the Admins don't want such things discussed in chat for the sake of keeping it civil that I will try to avoid it in the future and just keep my list in match reports or my coach info or something.

*sigh* I suppose I will just have to find something better to moan about...or just go back to playing paintball, where if someone does something legal but dirty you can then proceed to shoot them 'till they cry next game...then all your friends know who they are by the welts, and you don't have to say a word! Twisted Evil
Cyco

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I concider myself to an open minded coach. Who by the way dont foul unless my oppnent do so first - even if I get the ref. And I dont like getting fouled. One or two tactical fouls, sure. I dont mind, but then I might not agree with my opponent about what is tactical or not. So I think its better do dont start doing it. I dont combine basy skills either. I prefer playing without having to destroy my opponents team. But thats my way of playing, I dont tell anyone to play like me - or even like my way of playing. Enough about me. I think this was really interesting reading. With some highlights...

BunnyPuncher wrote:
While I have a reputation as a bit of a fouler, its rather undeserved as I only foul heavily with two of my 15 odd teams. But for the most part I think people enjoy playing me and when they do play these two teams they know what they are in for.

Insults, dropping, and slow play are what tick me off... fouling is a part of the game in my view so I don't mind being fouled... in fact losing a star to a foul helped change my view of how attached I get to players (thanks wuhan!) and now I can happily watch one of my uber-players get caned and laugh about it... So the next time you are fouled.. give a chuckle.. and kill his wardancer.

Just because a coach fouls with the team you are playing, it doesnt mean he do so with all of his teams.

Mnemon wrote:
Simple point to this is, name dropping in the public channel simply should not happen, no matter in what form. Mention it to the coaches you like to play with, but do so in private. The simple reason for that is, that even if it is true, the chance of that and that many people just trying to black mouth coaches for some personal grudge is just as high. How to defend yourself against an accusation like that if it is distorted by the perception of the coach that was on the receiving end?

Some coaches might be wronfully accused. And I bet you wouldnt like to be accused. I have played matches where my opponent think Im an idiot and sometimes Im praised. I depends on so many thinks; My mood your in for the day, what the dice rolls are and your oppinion about how the game should be played and many more things. So to be judged by one game can be very wrong.

Barash wrote:
My opinion: if someone fouls in turn 8 of the 2nd half, you know you can break an etiquette rule of your opponent. If you foul in the last turn don’t complain about that would break an etiquette rule in chat, it’s really pathetic and hypocrite. Be a man, be known for your deeds on and off the field. So don't start whining if your actions good or bad are shared with other coaches in chat.

I think that is very well said. No more comment about it.
------------------

Thats worth giving a thought. Wink

-CycoD
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
Don't play this guy he tries to score touchdowns and to win the game specially last turn touchdowns where i don't have enough time to score back on him.

If someone fouls you in turn 16 just live with it, its perfectly fine and within the rules, just like scoring a touchdown. Sure its not nice but the fact is your comments in the chat regarding the play style is just a frail cover for your real point which is moaning about it and basically telling others not to play that coach.

Put it in your match report if you wish, there is nothing stopping a coach thinking of playing someone to look at their match history and find out that way. If its in there and they don't check then play said coach and get turn 16 fouled then its their own fault. There is no need to actively make comments in the chat about it.

So stop moaning about something thats well within the rules and the rulebook.

Nuff said.
Doowa

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO the FUMBBL irc channel isn't the place to warn ppl against other players. Some ppl might get offended as they have another view of the situation then you. All thought you and I don't think fouling is a 'clean' action, some do. The point is that a bad comment about someone might cause more bad then intended.
Bad reputation or even single comments spread like rings in water...

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
...and just keep my list in match reports or my coach info or something...

Match reports seems like the idea location for notes like this. It's not intrusive and yet anyone who wants to know about a coach (either you or your opponent) can easily find it.

So long as you aren't saying anything too offensive*, it's pretty much your place to say whatever you want. I leave notes for both my opponent and anyone else who may be looking into the match record of a player.

Why? Because it's like open mic night for me. It's my own little soap box.

* - such as referring to every little thing doesn't go your way as a particularly violent, invasive and brutal crime - you know who you are Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL it is PURELY whine (i bet ur player died of the foul) -_-

i think that you do whatever you please Razz Rolling Eyes
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

jonis wrote:
LOL it is PURELY whine (i bet ur player died of the foul) -_-

i think that you do whatever you please Razz Rolling Eyes

Actually, it was a catcher who already had a niggling injury (and who didn't die) who I was planning to replace either after that game or the next, as soon as I could afford another fouling target. I meant Wardancer.

I thought I was pretty clear about this not being a thread to complain about fouling (I even told the coach I would play him again, although perhaps not with my softest teams) but to clarify IRC etiquette, but I now see the folly of using the 'F' word as an example...

In any case, you are correct that I WILL do as I please, and therefore take this opportunity to point you to a website:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun.html

It's full of nifty ways to make your scathingly brutal posts a bit more... entertaining for the rest of us. Just try to avoid the more profane stuff, ok?
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
swilhelm73 wrote:
How is this really different from writing something in the match record for all to see anyway?

You have to happen to click that particular match report to see it. On top of it, there is a replay everyone can check, right there, and judge themselves what the situation was.

-Mnemon

I read just about every match write up I see go by when I am logged in. Personally I am far more likely to see a match write up then a complaint in the chat room. Further, the match report is there nominally forever - and at times I will look at the past games of my opponent and read all the write ups their team has....

Further, one can easily say coach X did this...here is the replay http://blah........com in the chat room too.

As long as the complainer/whiner is both honest and polite I don't see the problem. The former can be resolved with a link as mentioned above and the latter is already in the rules of the chat room.

Generally speaking, turn8 foulers are certain coaches who revel in it (and may even add said whining to their coaching profile Smile )and have a reputation for doing such or newer players who aren't used to the open format (and spp-less fouling rules of the LRB).
MacLeod

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouls are part of the game and within the rules. My human team (before retired) never fouled. My orc team (before retired) fouled all the time...orcs, go figure. Now I have an undead team.....hmm, do the living dead cheat? I have a dwarf team....hmmm, probably no fouls there, but there are the troll slayers with the frenzy skill...frothing at the mouth fouling....COOL!

It's a game folks, just a game.
Geez, my human team lost seven in a row...partly because of pitiful luck...partly because of lack of skill on my part.

I guess I should complain then that the luck is unfair in the last turn of a half, or maybe I should complain to get a stand-in coach for my last turns so I can fairly compete...

Ranting done,
soapbox returned,
BACK TO THE PITCH!
Mac