54 coaches online • Server time: 23:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dfunkateer

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer it if this podcast was expressed through the medium of dance.

Failing that, a contents list or suchlike on some interweb site would be good.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

xxx

Last edited by dfunkateer on May 09, 2012 - 21:01; edited 1 time in total
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Were_M_Eye wrote:
What is wrong with with you people! It is radio on the internet, you don't read radio. It is for entertainment!

Don't you have a couple of minutes when you don't do anything, driving to work, taking a walk or painting miniatures? Or maybe while you waiting for a game. Put the shit on your mobile phone and listen to it when you got nothing else to do. Or just don't listen at all.

generally the times of my day i spend devoted to BB is:
surfing the forums while at work
trying to find a game while at home
playing a game while at home

i imagine my use-case is the same as for the vast majority of other gamers the world over

I can't listen to the podcast at work
I would rather listen to music while looking for a game and ideally the process should be short
I would find a BB podcast distracting while in-game

I get the bus to & from work, and tend to read books on the way

Without transcripts to lure me in, I have nothing to motivate me to the effort of putting the podcast on my phone to listen on the bus instead of reading my book

I've literally changed the music on my phone less times than I have had phones. its not even hard, I just can't be bothered.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

So. If you want a transcript... make one. Post it here.

Sp00keh wrote:
generally the times of my day i spend devoted to BB is:
surfing the forums while at work
trying to find a game while at home
playing a game while at home

You have just described my life. =)

Last edited by the_Sage on May 09, 2012 - 11:29; edited 1 time in total
johnnih

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Without transcripts to lure me in, I have nothing to motivate me to the effort of putting the podcast on my phone to listen on the bus instead of reading my book

I've literally changed the music on my phone less times than I have had phones. its not even hard, I just can't be bothered.

I think this is the real reason why then. You could easily fit the podcast into your everyday routine, but aren't motivated enough.

Personally I love podcasts as I listen to stuff all the time. While I commute, while I relax, and while I work. I am one of those who tries to do two things at a time all the time. With mixed results.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

i read one of Garion's player guides the other day, got to say I dont have time to read them all, reading isnt really my thing ( i dont read books either) i'm not allowed to read at work (is reading at work easier to get away with than listening to soemthing? seems to me if you're not allowed to do one you probably shouldnt be doing the other but just dont get caught?)

Garion can you make it into a podcast for me please? It wont take you that long.
kthanks
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 11:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

johnnih wrote:
Personally I love podcasts as I listen to stuff all the time. While I commute, while I relax, and while I work. I am one of those who tries to do two things at a time all the time. With mixed results.

I love podcasts but can only find a few that are half way interesting. Got any recommendations?

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

blocknroll wrote:
is reading at work easier to get away with than listening to something? seems to me if you're not allowed to do one you probably shouldnt be doing the other but just dont get caught?

Wink

If you must know I spend the vast majority of my working day on conference calls, so listening to the radio wouldn't be possible. Reading on the other hand I can do, and still listen the call and contribute Smile

I don't think anyone seriously thinkgs they will transcribe the show, but transcribing a short segment could actually be advantageous to them. It could get people interested, then have a button below that says if you like what you have read CLICK HERE to listen to the whole show. It wouldn't suprise me if it actually helped draw a few more listeners which is surely the point Smile
johnnih

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
johnnih wrote:

I love podcasts but can only find a few that are half way interesting. Got any recommendations?

Sure. I mostly listen to Danish news/debates and nerd hobby stuff. I'll give some recommendations from the latter category.

Irrational Interviews from Irrational Games. Nice interviews of people in the gaming or film industry. Sometimes it is a look behind the scenes other times it is more of an discussion on general concepts like how a game is designed to be fun.

Joystiq. Podcast about games. Guests are mostly game reviewers reviewing games, but it has interviews of creative designers and such as well.

threediceblock. You know this.

Please share if you know of any gems. I agree there are many mediocre casts out there.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 12:43
FUMBBL Staff

I listen to the mainstream comedy ones. Kevin Smith the director does a bunch that i like and Keith and The girl can be good my fav gem at the moment is Weird Things.... listen from the begining super nerdy super geeky funny show.

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
I listen to the mainstream comedy ones. Kevin Smith the director does a bunch that i like and Keith and The girl can be good my fav gem at the moment is Weird Things.... listen from the begining super nerdy super geeky funny show.

Listening right now and almost through episode one. Weird Things is great! Kinda hardx to exlpain what it is about though. A story telling/thought experiment/morale debate with lots of references to geek subjects. Different, smart, and comical.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Yea, I could listen to it without huge amounts of trouble, but why am I going to?

It hasn't been sold to me. i don't have much idea of what you're going to talk about - apart from what I gleaned from the OP which was "dungeonbowl! cyanide guy interview!"
or which bits i am going to like etc

it needs sold better. i am unlikely to want to take the effort of listening, without knowing more about it.

Also, one of the things that puts me off about podcasts in general is that you can't really skip through to the good bits, the equivalent of skim reading.

so if not a transcript, then a detailed breakdown of what is contained, notated by the minute

eg

0:00 intro and welcome
2:31 dungeonbowl explained
5:53 dungeonbowl example match run-through
11:23 cynaide interview
13:54 probing questions about future releases
etc
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:

Yes! Kevin Smith's SMODCAST is good as is the sex-chat podcast on his Smod-Network called "Having Sex with Katie Morgan"... she's an ex "adult" star and her and her husband (and usually a guest co-host) answer listener emails about ... well... you can guess. Its adults only, but is funny in a OMFG way.

If you're into Sports Video Games (with a USA bent, such as Madden and NBA2K etc), then I highly recommend 4th String. They mix chatting about sports video games with current real-life sports news (mostly NFL) and stupid jokes.

I listen to all the Blood Bowl ones and they all have their styles... they're all enjoyable.

I listen to alot of podcasts as I drive 250km a day to and from work (I live in Dubai, work in Abu Dhabi) and hence I get through about 2.5hrs a day of listening. Sure beats the Top 40 radio here in the Emirates.

I save my reading for the bathroom Smile
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 16:54
FUMBBL Staff

Ohhh Clay atleast you get Radio 1 there. Is emma B still on? "Whats in emmas box?"

all we get is QBS i dont know if you can get it over there... i hope not. 97.5

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Yea, I could listen to it without huge amounts of trouble, but why am I going to?

It hasn't been sold to me. i don't have much idea of what you're going to talk about - apart from what I gleaned from the OP which was "dungeonbowl! cyanide guy interview!"
or which bits i am going to like etc

it needs sold better. i am unlikely to want to take the effort of listening, without knowing more about it.

Also, one of the things that puts me off about podcasts in general is that you can't really skip through to the good bits, the equivalent of skim reading.

so if not a transcript, then a detailed breakdown of what is contained, notated by the minute

eg

0:00 intro and welcome
2:31 dungeonbowl explained
5:53 dungeonbowl example match run-through
11:23 cynaide interview
13:54 probing questions about future releases
etc

Yeah, I mean since they are charging you $4.99 to listen to it they really do need to sell it better.

Rolling Eyes
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: May 09, 2012 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Yeah, I mean since they are charging you $4.99 to listen to it they really do need to sell it better.

Rolling Eyes

The way you market something is just as important as the quality of the "product" you're trying to market, for example;

There's a list of like 15 different things that are discussed in the podcast, but there's no indication of how much time will be used to discuss those subjects, or the relevance of those subjects. I mean I'm intending to listen to a Blood Bowl podcast, I don't want to sit and listen to some guys talk about bronies and the kama sutra for 20 minutes... or maybe they only spend 20 seconds mentioning them? I have no way of knowing. Is the list of stuff mentioned in the episode in chronological order? How much time am I going to spend jumping around trying to find the bit I really want to listen to?

Currently the only Blood Bowl podcast I listen to with any regularity is 3 die block. The blurbs are simple but effective. They're going to discuss X, then Y, then spend the last few minutes discussing Z.

For what its worth my advice would be to keep the blurb about each episode short and concise; focused on the BLOOD BOWL subjects as that's what I'm assuming people are tuning in to listen to. I'd personally be a lot more likely to listen to a podcast if just the main topics are listed, I don't need to know about every single pop-culture reference that comes up.

That probably all sounds really picky and fussy, but sometimes I think less is more. Smile
 Jump to: