50 coaches online • Server time: 15:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Varlak

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2017 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, long time without playing real life blood bowl and now I live in UK, so I don't know where to buy paint or what brand to use, users in UK or europe: where do you buy the paint for your miniatures?
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2017 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

despite what people say, Gamesworkshops paints are pretty good. The main alternate is vallejo http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/146-vallejo-paint-sets

You can go to art supply shops, or WHsmiths is good for basic brushes for undercoats and dry brushing, a lot cheaper than GW.

Last edited by Garion on Apr 26, 2017 - 14:32; edited 1 time in total
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2017 - 14:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Way up north in Sweden, I buy paints from Games Workshop. I find their paints really high quality, but the paint pots are far from the best (e.g. they dry out if left standing).
Edit: The drying out part is mainly my experience from the past. They have changed the type of container many times in the past and I have no personal long-term experience with the current model of container. It may be better these days.

Vallejo paints are also pretty popular, and they have better designed containers that keep the paints better over time. You may find these in generic hobby stores. I have a few of these, but in general the range of colours aren't quite as good as the GW ones.

I have also heard good things about the Ral Partha line of paints but have no personal experience with these. In fact, I haven't seen them in any stores around here (but it's not like I've been looking super close either to be fair).
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2017 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I use a mixture of GW paints from the past 3 decades, Coat D Arms, P3 and Vallejo. Certain companies do some colours better (good golds, yellows and reds are hard to find) and I like to see what the paints look like in person.

GW paints are decent and come with a wide variety of types (base, layer, was etc), there are plenty of guides on which colours to use produced by GW too. However they are the most expensive and you'd don't get a lot of paint in them (12ml)

Coat D Arms is a good company to buy from if you liked GW's old colours since they used to manufacture them. They are a lot cheaper than GW and use the old larger pot style (20ml) that help paint last for decades. You will have to make sure you close them when not in use though.

Vallejo are good, though I'd suggest going for the Model range rather than the Game range. You'll need a palette and have to shake them a lot as they tend to separate so are less suited to wet palettes if you want to keep a mix for a bit. They are 17ml as standard.

P3 from Privateer Press use the same pots as Coat d Arms (20ml), but are a bit more expensive. I've only bought a few of their paints but have liked them.

Haven't used any others so can't comment.

One thing to consider is being able to see the colours as photos can often be misleading if there is a local gaming shop that stocks them that is always helpful. You can then just get the colours you need and mix anything else.
If you have a local GW then they can be good for tips and lessons though you'll probably have to buy something off them. Or if you have mates or a gaming club that will let you use their paints that can help you decide what to get.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2017 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know of a Coat D Arms distributor in the US?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 03, 2017 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

When I painted I used Coat D Arms. It's what I'd recommend, but I don't think it's the best to be honest. In that some other paint manufacturers have moved forward in the last 20 years, where as CDA haven't really.

I used it because 1. I was used to the paint (being the old GW paint). 2. It's good value for money.

If you're in the US it's likely not going to be that good value for money and if you haven't used it in the past.......probably no point starting, with better paints on the market.

That said they do do a few colours that no other manufacturer seems to make. For example their metalics are a bit different and they do a dark red (I would call vampire cloak red) that nobody else seems to do.

I believe that Foundry paints are (or were) made in the same factory (although not as cheap) and I definitely remember buying paints for another game systems with the game system on the pot that were certainly CDA paints............I'm think 'Ikon' but that's from memory.

My point is you may be able to get CDA paints directly in the US but under a different name.
 Jump to: