42 coaches online • Server time: 19:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What about nÂș of matches in the BBox scheduler?
Fantastic idea! It's like pie but with more fish in it.
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Noooo! I'm a Ranked fanatic and all I want is to set that evil Box aflame!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
You are wrong, this would lead to an age of darkness unprecedented and doom of mankind...where do I sign
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Duh, where'm I, and where is the pie?
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

nin

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember those threads where Ranked coaches asked for an auto-scheduler like the one in BBox for that div.
And all the hot flames (as in "Wow, that Troll chik is hot")...happy old days.

Well, revenge!
I think there is a Ranked feature that could be adapted to BBox (and no, it's not the ability to pick your opponents)

Thing is, there have been threads made on how to schedule matches, because TV was not intended for that and because pixel hugging in the Box is a bit tricky as it's now.

I'd like "number of matches" brakets in BBox
Like in 1-5, 5-15, 15-30, 30+ for example.
The mechanic wouldn't prevent matches between teams in different brakets, but ad a factor to TV diff, like 2*diff (may be (2^x)*diff. were x is the number of brakets between teams?)
The effect could be fewer unexperienced teams killed and may be a slight increase in matches over 1700TV.

Mind you, this is not (just) an attack to the minmaxer way of play, it has to do with playing the game a bit closer to the way it works in TT (where things seem to be shinny and ClawPOMB, I've been told, is not an issue at all...)

Thinking about it, in tabletop "matchmaking", number of matches usually (unadvertedly) has its part: 1st season, all the teams have about the same number of games played and after that most leagues either restart teams or have some kind of shoft entry for rookie teams (like in "rookie team of the season price", "development pre-season matches" or "rookie and exp. divs.")

(...and something simmilar could be done with tournaments to remplace/complement TW)
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see it work both ways. It would 'fix' some issues, but there is also the possibility of less games due to stricter limitations. You would have to look at a couple of draws and see if it would still be possible to get enough matches.
nin

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Make it conditional?

Only works (or the factor changes) depending on the number of teams activated?
uuni

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel that would make it harder to get games for teams that have played really lot, like over 100-1000 matches? Is that intentional? I think Woodstock may have a point.

(Currently, I am battling the Box Glass ceiling of 2300 TV, so I may be biased... Wink)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

but what happens when yr 150 game skaven team gets smashed and has to recover?

it would NEVER get a game at low TV, and may as well be retired.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if you are at TV 2300 it won't have much effect, most tems you'll face will be 30+ matches played.

It may have that effect on teams with very few games and teams with a lot of them that are really low in TV (because this idea just makes pairing them together more unlikely)

Making this factor conditional should offset that drawback a bit.
If there are few teams activated, then no factor is aplied, with plenty of teams activated, the factor increases. That way scheduling games goes first and "protecting" the rookies latter.

And may be tournaments can help with that too, like in playing the first matches in a BBoxRRR tipe of tourney. Or the new BBBrawl (once it's disclosed).

Edit: and remember, 2*0=0 so teams really close in TV won't be affected too much, and at low TV the gaps tend to be smaller.
stej

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Random matches. Let inducements pick up the slack....

[edit]

Being more constructive the factor could be weighted itself inversely to the numbe rof teams activated so it would have more weight with more teams thus not preventing matchups when there are few options

e.g factor * 1 / max((20 - teams activated),1)

To be fair though, it should be about team skill levels and coaching ability with that team to determine a "fair" match as opposed to played games despite all the cheesy exploits out there
nin

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Idea refinement:

Scheduler calculates the values for pairings with the nÂșofmatches factor, if it's on valid range, that's it. Mark it green.

If not, it calculates the number without the factor...oh! it's allready calculated, good. If it's on valid range, that's it, mark it red.

Then try to schedule with green numbers. Full round with max number of games, ok.

Else try to schedule with red numbers added. May be the algorithm can be backtracked so that it only needs to add red games one at a time untill the schedule has the largest amount of games posible.

Result: no loss of games per round.
Edit: No, this is not trolling, there is a forum thread about the luckmeter again...that's it Razz
 Jump to: