46 coaches online • Server time: 20:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, something that's been bugging me for a while.

I think that if:

a) You have Dodge (and haven't used it already).
b) You have Break Tackle
c) You would fail the roll without Break Tackle but not with it

Then the client should prompt you whether or not to use Break Tackle on a Dodge.

It's a tiny tiny edge case, and I'm not sure how far the warren you want to go, but for example, my Dodge, Break Tackle minotaur recently skilled up 2 heads.

I use him to break cages, so a common sequence might be: Dodge away from dude (3+), Dodge into cage (6+), which hopefully turns into: Dodge away from dude(3+), Dodge into cage(3+) when using Break Tackle.

The issue is that in the client currently, the odds of succeeding, given a 2 on the first dodge, are far higher if I take the Dodge RR on the 2, and then have Break Tackle to break into the cage on the next dodge, rather than having the client auto-use break tackle, and then leaving me either the choice of 6+ with RR crashing the cage, or not crashing it at all!

I'd also add, this is mighty low down the priority list. I have no idea how the internals of the code base work, but I'm hoping that there's a "popup use" criteria that it's as simple as adding another statement to a case. If it requires more than about, 5-10 minutes worth of work, it's not worth doing. I'm probably the only person that hits this on FUMBBL at the moment, with a player that could die in any game, but for me, it would be a great change.

I don't mind creating a bug report, if that's what's decided it is, but I thought I'd just see how simple it would be/how interested people are first.
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds reasonable.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this and agree with your reasoning. As you say, not high priority, but would be nice.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Please make this a bug report in FFB Test and I give it a low priority. This way it can be tracked and isn't forgotten.
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

it should ask even if you don't have dodge. Although it's mostly big guys that use BT, there are some other creatures as bull centaurs, that will happily take in some occasion the team rr for the first dodge so that they can use BT for a second one.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

for playability it would be ace if it only asks when BT makes a difference

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Please make this a bug report in FFB Test and I give it a low priority. This way it can be tracked and isn't forgotten.

Done Smile.

Thanks!
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, Hitonagashi, Nuffle bless you.

I've been thinking about this one for a while since my first month here.

As zakatan suggests, I'd point out that Dodge isn't even really the issue--- ANYTIME you have Break Tackle and are looking to do multiple dodges (of varying difficulty) in a single turn, things can get a bit wonky. If the first dodge is easy and you fail by 1, you want to use Dodge or a Team RR-- nuff said. Break Tackle is for the difficult dodge. I've had a couple sauri/norse werewolves who have hit this exact case.

I don't think the formatting would be that hard-- If you have Pro, there's already a pop-up that asks if you want to use a Team RR or Pro RR. It would just be like that, only with different triggering conditions.

What's a more fringe case would be if you had Pro, Dodge, and Break Tackle-- a failed dodge might be worth using Pro to RR, with BT as a back-up in case Pro fails, while at the same time saving your Dodge/Team RR for later.
Can you imagine a pop-up asking- "You failed a dodge (2+). Would you like to use: [No Reroll] [Team Reroll] [Pro Reroll] [Dodge Reroll] [Break Tackle] ?"
Multiple movement paths, and opposing players with Prehensile Tail and/or Diving Tackle and/or Shadowing add even more to the hilarity...
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, dodge certainly isn't the issue.

The idea is that you want to make it so it's useful, without drastically increasing the amount of people who misclick no and accidentally lose a game. I chose the presence of Dodge as an indicator of a player that might activate it, but it's certainly not cut and dry how to implement it.

I strongly suspect that's why it's not optional at the moment, because the vast majority of the time when you make a BT dodge, you actually want to use Break Tackle.

Jump to: