19 coaches online • Server time: 07:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just gone through all the team set up pages, making them a liitle more consistent and adding links to the relevant strategy pages.

I used ! for headers and * for listed roster options

Also note that all pages in the User Guide now use a header with !!! before it.

Last edited by Colin on %b %29, %2011 - %00:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
Colin

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

A few more conventions I'd like people to stick to:

Begin each guide with three exclamation marks before the title (e.g. !!!Orc Strategy Guide)

Begin each section with a single exclamation mark before the heading (e.g. !In-game tactics).

Capitalise skill names and player positions. If the skill or position has more than one word, capitalise both words, and don't use hyphens (e.g. Pass Block, Gutter Runner).

In the Team Development / Skill Selection paragraph, underline the first instance of each player position using a double underscore ( __ ) before and after the word (e.g. __Blitzers__ are the spearhead of the team...)
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be possible to insert line returns to break it into paragraphs or have Italics for sub-headings?

The current Lizard guide is difficult to read and won't get easier if we add what is turning up in the new thread.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Get the content in and corrected first - it's easy enough to alter formatting afterwards. Content is much more important than appearance. However, if you can get it to look good before I check it out, it would be nice.

We can use three levels of header; !!! for the title, !! for major headings, and ! for sub-headings in very big guides such as the one you're working on.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers - I've started changing from HTML tags to !'s and will give it a thorough going over before it is submitted.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just used a table in the Human team lineup page in the User Guide: http://fumbbl.com/help:HumanSetUp

How do you like it? I think it would give a more consistent look to the suggested lineups pages, which tend to use all sorts of different formatting methods.

To make this table, insert the following into the Edit page, and obviously make appropriate changes. The amount of spaces you use between text and the column markers does not matter. Underscores are there only to make text bold.

|#| __Position__|__Cost__| Ma|St|Ag|Av|__Skills__
|4|Blitzer | 90k |7|3|3|8| Block
|4|Linemen | 200k |6|3|3|8
|1|Thrower | 70k |6|3|3|8| Pass, Sure Hands
|2|Catchers | 140k |8|2|3|7|Catch, Dodge
|8|__F.F.__ | 80k

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer the old way. Nice idea though.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Tables are nice, but why not use the table formatting as they are for team rosters? (the black <TH> with alternating grey and green for the <TR>)

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Tables are nice, but why not use the table formatting as they are for team rosters? (the black <TH> with alternating grey and green for the <TR>)

I don't believe this is possible using Wiki text formatting tools - the User Guide doesn't use HTML.

http://fumbbl.com/help:TextFormattingRules

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a cut-down table for the second variant on the same page, with no stats or skills. I also justified costs to the right, using |> instead of | to mark that column.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I've just used a table in the Human team lineup page in the User Guide: http://fumbbl.com/help:HumanSetUp

I've now settled on a format for team lineups, using the Human one (above) as the first example.

To code the table as shown there, use this format:
Code:

|#| __Position__ | __Cost__ 
|4| Blitzer   |> 360k   
|4| Linemen   |> 200k
|1| Thrower   |> 70k   
|2| Catchers  |> 140k
|3| __Re-Rolls__ |> 150k
|8|__Fan Factor__   |> 80k
||>Total  |> 1000k

Spaces don't show up, and so are optional. Obviously, make sure the Total is correct - this isn't a spreadsheet!