45 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like we have all the info we need to get people started posted in either the User Guide or the FAQ.

Still we find ourselves answering the same questions over and over again (or at least I do). One explanation is that people are just too lazy to bother reading it when they can be spoonfed through IRC but I can't really do anything about that. Another possibility is that there's a basic concept that people just aren't getting and therefore the details make no sense.

To this end, does anyone else think that a quick summary might be in order? Just a few paragraphs loosely describing what the league is, how the open format works, what JBB is, etc... Things to get people's brains wrapped around the concept from the get-go. Very high level overview, I guess.

Does anyone have any insight as to what we might be taking for granted? Any new folks want to share any difficulties they had in getting started? Were there things that just didn't get covered before you were thrown into the details of where to click and what to download?

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I think there may need to be a "quick start" guide. Everything, summed up on less then a page on how to start up. With a ton of Html links to definitions, and such. Such as "When you make it to the IRC channel and have a team ready to play, type BB LFG, and the BOWLBOT will respond with what your team is." (in which the word bowlbot links to a brief description of it and a list of commands.

Kinda like what they have in the begginning of video game manuals for the PC, for those that want to jump right in, and read the details later.

Asperon Thorn
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That's the thing. There is a quick start guide. No one reads it, though. Not to pick on you, JohnnyThorn but all that stuff is in there. Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you read the user guide AperonThorn? Wink

Edit: /me grumbles something about the Dark Side always being the quicker one.

-Mnemon
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Key word may: and no I haven't looked I have been here too long Wink. I just know that when I linked the site to some of the guys I play in tabletop, recently, they couldn't seem to find it.

I will ask them, what they have trouble with soon, and see if they have any ideas. Problem is, that most of the forum readers, read everything. We need to target the guys that don't read squat.

Asperon Thorn
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Read from our sacred tomes, young acolyte, and you will receive enlightenment!

On a serious note, does the Help/FAQ button on all the FUMBBL themes (v1, v2,aggressive) link to the User Guide front page? I think v2 links to the old FAQ (already moved to the UG, and the old copy is soon to be binned), whereas aggressive links to the UG.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you use text to target someone who doesn't read?
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

A large flashing arrow .gif pointing at the link?

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
How do you use text to target someone who doesn't read?

Take them to the quick start guide immediatly following account creation.

Asperon Thorn
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the admins are too kind sometimes (apart from Grumbledook indeed Mr. Green ) and it is really more comfortable to push out a question on irc than to waste some valuable time researching.

What is frightening for me is the harsh kind of questioning from some people - more like demanding - as the admins or the monkeys would owe them.
Lord_Holle

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I personally (opening myself for insults) had some rookie troubles that weren't covered in the quickstart guide. We (a friend and I) started off playing against each other a couple of times and were banned within a week. Hehe. But the quick start guide does not mention this rule (at least not as far as I know). I personally feel that there should be a little more explaining as to what the different Divisions are all about.
But then again, thats just me. Guess I learned a valuable lesson.
gorritakid

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Holle, that rule is not mentioned in the user guide. It is mentioned in... the rules page, the one you have to accept upon joining the site in order to be able to access your overview.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the fact that he missed it anyway is worth noting.

I threw a a Sample page up on the end of my own Wiki entry. Feel free to revise and/or edit it as you see fit - that being the coolest part about Wiki. Post any ideas here.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, without any feedback or changes, I've put it up on the main page. Delete it if you don't like it. That's the wonder of Wiki. If anyone can think of anything useful (and appropriately high-level) then post it here or add it yourself.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

i think the problem is that the quick start guide, the starting lineups and so on arent exactly very prominent on the site

you should be taken straight to them after signing up maybe or make the ling a bit more visible
 Jump to: