48 coaches online • Server time: 16:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChipUK

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as someone who has just returned after a year's abscence I am finding it hard understanding what's changes DIVX has undergone. The User's guide doesn't really mention much about them and I'm having to find out in game (which isn't a bad thing I suppose).
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome back; you'll be pleased to know that some work has been going into this, thanks to BadMrMojo. You can find the changes to DivX in the Experienced Coach Overview and the Div X division page
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 18:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

AsperonThorn wrote:

Take them to the quick start guide immediatly following account creation.

Oh right.. That will help alot.. *recollects the number of people who hasn't read the rules page* Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, people don't really bother reading stuff that are stuffed down their throats.. We just have to learn how to tell people to read the user guide for things that are explained in there.
knightofthelance

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I read all that stuff but still missed a few of the things that I needed to really get going (bb lfg being the most important).
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
How do you use text to target someone who doesn't read?

setting the guide as default starting page.

Expert users will find how to change it... Wink

marco

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh excellent just read those pages, They helped alot . thx Colin n Mojo
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

on a second thought, I think the time where people spend most of the time (regarding the game, i mean) is the coach's team page.

Adding a nice link or a button there should drive people to read the guide.

marco

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

How about adding a tell command to bowlbot, with for starters the quickstart guide (this can be extended in the future), like:

bb tell asperon about quickstart

then i would get a message from bowlbot with a short quickstart

this have been used in other channels i idle for FAQ.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Seriously though, people don't really bother reading stuff that are stuffed down their throats.. We just have to learn how to tell people to read the user guide for things that are explained in there.

I think the problem is that to a complete newcomer there is a lot of information to take in. Especially as they might not be familiar with the whole Bloodbowl environment/theme.

Personally I only tend to look at instructions/rules when I am looking for something specific, otherwise it all tends to be a bit meaningless.

As long as the Help/FAQ link is always easily accessible (which it is), and the information there is clear, then there's not much else you can do.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

dinaturz wrote:
on a second thought, I think the time where people spend most of the time (regarding the game, i mean) is the coach's team page.

Adding a nice link or a button there should drive people to read the guide.

This comment has some merit - in the Coach page, the race of each team is stated, but it is not a link. If it was, it could lead to a list of related pages, namely; the roster for that race, the Set Up guide, and the Strategy guide. Whether this list would be part of the User Guide (similar to the Backlinks feature) and therefore open to editing by anyone, or an enclosed admin-only page, is up to Christer.

On the point concerning familiarity with the game, part of the copyright conditions for the client and maybe FUMBBL too, are that you own a copy of the board game (even if it is a very old edition, bought off eBay).
MickeX

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The User Guide isn't among the pages that comes up when you click the obvious Help link: the big ?-sign saying "Help/FAQ". Instead it's hidden in the small line where many new coaches probably haven't even reflected that there are links.

Same problem with Bugs/Support.

I think redesigning the whole structure would help a lot - but maybe it's simply not worth the trouble?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

{ edit: Ignore all this. I made the changes on the Home page. So I'm impatient. Sue me. Chage it if you don't like it. }

(off topic, but since this is the active thread...) proposed change to the front page

It's Christer's prototype of the Home page, but with some changes to the second column. Take a spin around the streamlined Strategy section (in particular the combination of starting rosters and racial playstyles) and let me know if it works. Then we can finish it up.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2004 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps if some kind of tool tip system was enabled, so each time you went to a page, a box appeared explaining this and that. When you got it all figured out you could switch off the tool tip.

Or maybe an intuative guide that pointed arrows at the functions on the screen while a box with text explained "this is where you manage your teams" or Pressing this button brings up a list of tournaments. Tournament are ......."

Do I make ANY sense?
Colin

Post   Posted: May 01, 2004 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you do. This one is definately for the admins, as those features would be additions to the website itself. Either add your idea to the Ideas and Bug Reports forum, or add it to Bugzilla tagged as an 'enhancement'

Post   Posted: May 12, 2004 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just place i link to this forum in the beginners guide? I didn't find it until after an hour or so...
 Jump to: