47 coaches online • Server time: 16:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
No, I meant more of drawing proper miniature bases as a base. Kinda like the shadow circles that are at the base of (most of) the current icons. That'd probably look better if we opted for a tilted perspective.

Ahh, I see. I'm not big on giving them bases like miniatures. With SVG I would rather do a rotate 90 ccw for stun (home team) and rotate 90 cw for prone with the slashes that we currently use on top. Would not be perfect, but acceptable.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
I'm absolutely for a SVG puppet type system. I could even see a use for having individual parts on the site, allowing people to put together their own icons by picking parts.

This exactly what I was getting at with my post. I would love to work on this type of system for the icons. This would be fun and challenging. I couldn't foresee myself making another set of a few thousand bitmap icons.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I just say how awesome it is that you guys are willing to put so much time and effort into Fumbbl. Customizable icons would be really great. I presume that however customized, you would still have some unique features that let you distinguish, say, any Blitzer from any Lineman?
stej

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

A
MA
ZING!
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
I presume that however customized, you would still have some unique features that let you distinguish, say, any Blitzer from any Lineman?

I had thought about this and would ideally have a different pose for each position. Linemen with arms at the side, blitzer with one arm up in a striking position, etc. This would require some position-specific equipment, but wouldn't be a big issue.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think SVG sounds excellent. If the field would also be downscalable, the game could also work on Java running mobiles. Currently the height is problem for minilaptops and mobiles.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

For us that have no idea about what you guys are on about. Would svg look much better too?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
For us that have no idea about what you guys are on about. Would svg look much better too?

SVG is scalable vector graphics. Vector instead of bitmap allows for scaling without loss, so at any size, the icons would look clean. We could get more detail at larger sizes, but it will still likely be a clean looking icon with nice shading and blends. I wouldn't expect ultra-realistic texturing, but who knows.

So yes, it would look better, especially as you went to larger screen resolutions.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It'd be great to do a proof of concept of this at some point, just to see how icons could end up looking at different scales.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I will work on that once the Stunty icons and beta testing is done.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Question: I've heard about the issues before, but how bad is it to scale an LCD screen at non-native resolutions?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

@Blader: It usually looks like pants. Lots of blurring.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 19:52
FUMBBL Staff

blader4411 wrote:
Question: I've heard about the issues before, but how bad is it to scale an LCD screen at non-native resolutions?

It's bad. Just consider three pixels like this (with numbers being color intensity):

|1|5|1|

Then stretch that to 4 (which is the equivalent of scaling from 2560 wide to 1920 wide) using something along the lines of "nearest neighbor":

|1|5|5|1|

Another way would be to interpolate colors:

|1|4|4|1|

To illustrate this, here's a view of what happens with text:

From top to bottom, these are the original, nearest neighbor, linear and cubic interpolation. None of the scaled versions are very good as you can see...

The nearest neighbor version gets weird artifacts (see the last O for example), while the linear and cubic versions get blurry. In reality, a LCD panel is a bit better at scaling than this, but this is more or less the same principle that makes non-optimal resolutions on a LCD look blurry.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

just read up on it and it sounds like a great idea. on the wiki it shows the difference very well - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 20:29
FUMBBL Staff

Oh, and just to give you an idea of what my icon scaler does.. Here are a couple of examples (original on the left):

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

The system works fairly well IMO, but it's nothing compared to hand-drawn stuff obviously. Smile
 Jump to: