43 coaches online • Server time: 14:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 13:13
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

For quite some time, I have been stating that HTML in team and player bios are not officially supported. The same goes for group information pages. At some point, I will go ahead and actually remove the ability for coaches to use HTML for these purposes. There are a few reasons for this, with the two major ones being staff having to deal with problems where broken HTML messes up pages, and security.

Now, the reason I haven't removed this in the past is because I wanted to have something to replace the HTML with, which people can use instead. There hasn't really been a reasonable replacement available which would allow enough flexibility to support features that a lot of people use.

Recently, though, I have been playing around with extending bbcode to add support for the more common things people use in their bios and league pages. I'm at a point where I'm relatively confident that the bbcode extensions I'm working on will be sufficient to allow people to convert their bios without losing too many features.

However, since I have no ability to check all bios on the site, I wanted to give you all a sneak peek at the capabilities of the extensions, and request input from you for what additional features you would like to see, and what kind of additional features you'd want. All of this will eventually convert to HTML and CSS, so if you have experience with that you'll have an easier time understanding how it works.

To see my current test page for the bbcode extensions, you can go to https://fumbbl.com/p/t8. As with all my test pages, you may need to shift-reload the page to get it to render properly. Also note that I have not tested it fully across browsers, so there may be some layout problems on certain platforms.

The page starts with a big block of bbcode input, and is followed by the parsed equivalent, showing what it looks like.

After looking through the page, you'll see that a lot of the updated stuff comes through the use of layout templates (such as [block=whitebg] ... [/block]). This is the aspect where I suspect a lot of you have input, and I would like to add enough templates to the system so that people will be relatively happy. Note that I won't add a thirteenth shade of green just because a single person needs it, but want to have enough generic things to allow people to express themselves the way they want.

Anyway.. Take a look at it (especially if you're very into making advanced bios) and let me know what you think. If there's a feature you're missing, please explain what you would want, or show me an example somewhere.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like it's going to be some work to redo the bios.

Working on Chrome here, there are some things that don't seem to work. Alignments specially. Everything aligns up-left even with other alignment tags.

It would be incredibly awesome if tag buttons are added to the bio editor, similar to those in the forums. And even awesomer if an "add icon" button is added as well (yes, looking at you SeraphimRed's enhaced bio editor)
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks good to me, I think I can easily adept my team pages to it. Great job! I was actually scared of losing the HTML code on team bios, now I am no longer. Smile
Maybe Shraaag can find a way to let his scripts create bbcode for his awesome tables? (Not a question directed at you, Christer.)

Looking at our current BB7s group page, I wonder if it's possible to create a sidebar somehow. And/or if you can put a picture above/below another and have the text floating around both. (This way one could add a sidebar by designing pictures that resemble buttons and the spaces between them.)

No biggie though, since I plan to have an overhaul of the BB7s page(s) anyway.

Any chance to say when the migration will happen (since we're going to have another relaunch of BB7s with the client update and it would be good to know if I have to update the HTML page or if I will be able/have to transfer it to bbcode anyway)?

As always, thanks for your constant work to sustain and improve the FUMBBL experience! Smile

Last edited by Rabe on Aug 27, 2012 - 13:48; edited 2 times in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

OK did the shift+reload stuff, and it works fine now Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

looks good to me, on firefox on mac os x snow leopard.

Not sure if it will be possible, but I helped put together the Omerta league pages - https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=7816

as you can see the image at the top uses code to make if fill the space provided.

Code:

<title>Untitled Page</title>
    <style type="text/css">
        table.Main
        {
            background: #000000 url('http://media.smashingmagazine.com/images/silhouette-photography/VEuHSNJwGn9ur6qgr7Vzqi0Ho1_500.jpg') no-repeat;
            background-size: 100%;
            border-collapse: collapse;
            border-spacing: 0px;
            margin-left: auto;
            margin-right: auto;
            width: 100%;
            font-size:12px;
            font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
            color: white;
        }

would be great if this feature could be added somehow.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing that I think that could be changed is the fact that the bio area is divided in two columns, one for the team logo and the other for the rest of the bio. This together with the fixed site width leaves a very limited width to put tables or images.

Having the logo on top instead of on the side would be great.

example: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=501659 The table in the button would fit in the writing area if it used the space disabled by the logo
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Edit:
It will look different anyway:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team2&id=605803

(I hope it's okay to post it here, Christer shared the link on IRC once.)

Don't know how the extended bio will look like, of course.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a hunch that outside images may not be secure.

Outside objects leak IP, cookies and may allow attack objects.

Still, I do not know to what paranoia level Christer aims the security. Smile
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
+1

Edit:
It will look different anyway:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team2&id=605803

(I hope it's okay to post it here, Christer shared the link on IRC once.)

Don't know how the extended bio will look like, of course.

Nice!

I'd like to see a "dump cash" button down there too. It'd be great to tune TW for TW-capped events.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

@Uuni; the server is in his kitchen, he is just protecting his cookies!
the_cursed_one

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

when this goes live, will there be some kind of help page for people like me who want more than ur avergae bio but struggle making them
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and you can always bug me and probably many others if you need help.
uuni

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

@Woodstock; Indeed. I presume cookies go nicely along tea, although bisquits would sound a bit better.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

the_cursed_one wrote:
when this goes live, will there be some kind of help page for people like me who want more than ur avergae bio but struggle making them

Actually the link that christer put in the opening post is quite good. It would require some tweaking but it makes a nice help section.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2012 - 15:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the team layout will change significantly once I get around to migrating the pretty crazy amount of code Smile
 Jump to: