72 coaches online • Server time: 22:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2013 - 23:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Those of you who post a lot on the forums have probably noticed the absolutely insane time it takes to submit new posts. I've just pushed a change to the site hoping to reduce the sometimes several minute delay for this.

Although I don't expect any problems, let me know if you run into it (or if posting still takes excessively long).
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2013 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

As of now, it seems to be taking a long time again.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2013 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I have found it going much faster than 2 weeks ago, although I've only posted a few times in the last few days.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found it faster. I used to have huge wait times.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well what I'm saying is, yes it sped up dramatically, however today (maybe after the site had problems) it seems to have slowed down again.
Dan-Da-Man

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

testing

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

wow was instant this time before had to wait forever

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The problems with long posts, not short ones. My problem was with a longish post I edited a few times. It hung for 30 seconds or more each time I edited it.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

For testing reasons I just edited this post (5612 characters, including punctation signs and spaces) without actually changing anything. I took almost exactly one minute until it was posted.

Edit 1:
This short answer appeared almost immediately.

Edit 2:
The edit of this needed over 15 seconds though. Maybe it works quicker with the "quick answer" form?

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 13:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's not related to the input form.

The main problem lies in the way the forum handles the search function. Basically, the idea is that the site stores a list of words used in each post, and the problem is that when the forum gets large (ie, lots of posts), there will be a pretty significant amount of entries in this list.

The first thing I changed (prior to posting this thread) was to move out a function that figures out "common" words ('a', 'of', 'the', etc) which occur in a significant number of posts (like 40%). This was very time-consuming, and I've instead made that code run once per day instead of after each post.

When you update a post, the system does two things:

1. Remove entries in the search system for the post you're editing (old version)
and
2. Reinsert the entries for the new version of the post.

The method used for this was pretty database intensive, and I have now made an attempt at improving the process, making it faster. It's still not instant to edit a long post, but it certainly is faster than before. Let me know if something is messed up Smile
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2013 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

"Edited" the long post again and sent it unchanged into the system. This time it only took 13 seconds (instead of 1 minute). Smile

Thanks, Christer!

Post   Posted: May 07, 2013 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ok.
 Jump to: