43 coaches online • Server time: 18:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
yggi49

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2012 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

When I want to spectate a game and run

Code:
javaws ffb.jnlp

then the client downloads but doesn’t launch. Interestingly, when I try to run it as root, I get the same error. There is enough space on the hard disk left, so this cannot be the problem, either.

Code:

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to create temporary file
        at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1714)
        at java.io.File.createTempFile0(File.java:1738)
        at java.io.File.access$100(File.java:137)
        at java.io.File$2.createTempFile(File.java:1979)
        at sun.misc.IOUtils.createTempFile(IOUtils.java:106)
        at javax.imageio.stream.FileCacheImageInputStream.<init>(FileCacheImageInputStream.java:100)
        at com.sun.imageio.spi.InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.createInputStreamInstance(InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.java:69)
        at javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(ImageIO.java:347)
        at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1341)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.IconCache.getIconByProperty(IconCache.java:75)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.ui.BoxButtonComponent.drawBackground(BoxButtonComponent.java:100)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.ui.BoxButtonComponent.refresh(BoxButtonComponent.java:138)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.ui.SideBarComponent.refresh(SideBarComponent.java:131)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.UserInterface.refreshSideBars(UserInterface.java:181)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.FantasyFootballClient.<init>(FantasyFootballClient.java:85)
        at com.balancedbytes.games.ffb.client.FantasyFootballClient.main(FantasyFootballClient.java:251)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:594)
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:889)

Any ideas?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 00:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The usual culprit these days has been AVG antivirus, do you have it installed?

Also, which operating system and browser are you using?
uuni

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you can run it from command line. If I remember right, the client is some sort of browserish application. You should propably run it from your browser.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I had this problem in-game. I restarted my computer, and it went away. Annoyed my opponent 'cause I went over on my turn, but no further harm.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I am always running it from the command line. I am using Arch Linux, no antivirus or firewall programs whatsoever. The client is a Java WebStart application, that’s exactly what the javaws command is for. The javaws(1) man page reads:

Quote:
NAME
javaws - Java Web Start launcher command

SYNOPSIS
javaws [run-options] <jnlp>

It had worked before, and it also works on my Gentoo box.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

@yggi49: if you look closely at the exception java reports in your first posting you can see that the virtual machine tries to create a temporary file and is unable to. Where are you temporary files going? Is there an environment variable set for this (I'm not sure atm how java knows WHERE to create temporary files)?
yggi49

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2012 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar: I did notice this message. This is why I also tried to launch the client as root, but I keep getting the same exception, and this really puzzles me.

Apart from that, I don’t know where the Java VM tries to create temporary files, but methinks it ought to do it in `/tmp`, which has 777 permissions anyway. (And still, when running as root, permissions shouldn’t matter at all, regardless of the location.)
yggi49

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2012 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I wrote a quick test app to check where temporary files go:

Code:
import java.io.*;

public class TestApp {
    public static void main (String[] args) {
        try {
            File fh = File.createTempFile("test-", ".dat");
            System.out.println("Tempfile: " + fh.getAbsoluteFile());
        }
        catch (IOException e) {
            System.out.println("Failed to create tempfile");
        }
    }
}

Compiling and running it:
Code:
igor@alleyoop ~ % javac TestApp.java && java TestApp
Tempfile: /tmp/test-4327666023021006982.dat
igor@alleyoop ~ % ls -l /tmp/test-*.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 igor igor 0 Oct 24 20:02 /tmp/test-4327666023021006982.dat

Creating temporary files obviously works in its most basic form.

(Did I mention that I still don’t grasp why the SecurityException also happens when trying to run the client as root? ;-))
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2012 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you try a javaws -uninstall ? Try to force a reload of the client. It breaks down at a very basic thing - the reading of an image out of the jar when trying to draw...
uuni

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2012 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not certain that system's security preferences would necessarily be fully reproduced in the java sandbox, althought I understand the logic behind it. The java has its own security preferences from its policy configuration files and stuff, and I presume java won't try to override them even when the virtual machine is run as root.
yggi49

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2012 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

`javaws -uninstall` is obviously not supported by OpenJDK. I deleted the entire `~/.icedtea` directory, forcing to re-download everything, but to no avail.

I switched to Oracle’s JDK now, and it works. I’m not really happy about this move, though, because I didn’t have any problems with the client with IcedTea before.
Grod

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh I just decided to ditch Oracles drivers and tried to use IcedTea instead. I had same problem and google for it and ended up here back in FUMBBL Smile

Oscar Wilde
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2013 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I started having problems today, while yesterday everything was working fine. I'm using ubuntu with OpenJDK and IcedTea Java Web Start: even switching computer (I updated a bit my own one yesterday evening, so I thought that I had messed up something) but I found the same problem (even that computer worked fine for playing), this leading me to think that something has changed in the site. Is it so?
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

no other ubuntu/linux user noticed any change?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

is there a Good Vigaun? Just curious.

Jump to: