36 coaches online • Server time: 10:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
yggi49

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
is there a Good Vigaun? Just curious.

None that I’d be aware of. ;-)

How good that I don’t live 40 miles farther north in this tastefully named village.
yggi49

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:
no other ubuntu/linux user noticed any change?

I switched to Oracle’s JDK entirely back in October which solved the original problem for me.
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2013 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

yggi49 wrote:
Tarabaralla wrote:
no other ubuntu/linux user noticed any change?

I switched to Oracle’s JDK entirely back in October which solved the original problem for me.

I switched from open JDK to oracle JDK too, and now it works. It's still a mistery to me why it stopped working from one day to the next...
yggi49

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2013 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:
I switched from open JDK to oracle JDK too, and now it works. It's still a mistery to me why it stopped working from one day to the next...

I guess it is the same mystery that also haunted me—just that it came up only now for Ubuntu users, which usually is behind Arch Linux.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Same here even as root on Arch with openjre7/icedtea.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, oracle jre 7 loads FFB but game stops immediately: I can check stats and even mouseover players, but the gameflow freezes.

I went back to oracle jre6, but game just dont start:
Error encountered while invoking Java Web Start (execv): No such file or directory

EDIT: I tried oracle JDK (7) and figured out I have to switch sound off yet, and tahat works.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2013 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Depending on what window manager you use, you might also try running
Code:
wmname LG3D

prior to launching
Code:
javaws ffb.jnlp
Emeric

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2013 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. Here on archlinux the problem is still alive too...
Until yesterday i was able to run FFB client with openjdk using that shameful way :

Code:
javaws -nosecurity ffb.jnlp

But since today i get a nice :

Code:
netx: Invalid jnlp file ffb.jnlp

So (google and) i figured that this would be due to the fact i download-then-run the jnlp file, and should run directly from the web adress.

So i tried a :

Code:
javaws -nosecurity http://www.fumbbl.com/ffb.jnlp?id=657963

And this opens the client smoothly, but does not pass my credentials to the app, so i end up being not recognized.

Gah ! I guess it's because i run it from the command line and not from firefox... But ofc firefox won't take command line arguments when selecting app associations.

So, i'm close. I'll get back with a solution later.

Last edited by Emeric on %b %24, %2013 - %11:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Emeric

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2013 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

So. My ugly temporary solution was to associate jnlp files in firefox with a small script :

Code:

#!/bin/bash
javaws -nosecurity $*

This, of course, is extremely bad and would place a bomb inside your computer if you ever click on a jnlp that is not from fumbbl.com Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2013 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Emeric wrote:
So. My ugly temporary solution was to associate jnlp files in firefox with a small script :

Code:

#!/bin/bash
javaws -nosecurity $*

This, of course, is extremely bad and would place a bomb inside your computer if you ever click on a jnlp that is not from fumbbl.com Smile

you could always use an if statement in the bash script so it only uses the nosecurity option if the jnlp has the right name. Not perfect but better than nothing if you are concerned. I gave up myself and went back to Oracle Java.

Oscar Wilde
Izimpondo

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2013 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

yggi49 wrote:
`javaws -uninstall` is obviously not supported by OpenJDK. I deleted the entire `~/.icedtea` directory, forcing to re-download everything, but to no avail.

I switched to Oracle’s JDK now, and it works. I’m not really happy about this move, though, because I didn’t have any problems with the client with IcedTea before.

hey yggi
did you ever find a way of making it work without oracle?
Izimpondo

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2013 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

For those who has had issues with openJDK and java i have had some help from the Debian community which ofcourse to the strongest discurage the use of Oracle Java since it is said to have a lot of security issues.

how ever - i run my debian in an virtualMachine and mostly for trying out linuxes. So i am not too concerned about these security problems.

i followed this from stack overflow:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

then i ran (as root)

update-java-alternatives --list

this gives you the shortname for the java-installs on your computer my output was:

# update-java-alternatives --list
java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386
java-7-oracle 1062 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle

then i put in :

# update-java-alternatives --set java-7-oracle

the above still as root...

i find where javaws (the webstarter that firefox or iceweasel uses to open the javafiles from fumbbl.com) is located... in my case the output was:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/javaws

i then go to the spactate page here on fumbbl and click on a spectate file... when iceweasel askes which webstarter to use i choose other and direct it to

/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/javaws

... now it works... i guess the system now is unsecure... im am just a wannabee nerd and dont know what the consequences are... some one else must answer that... but for now... im gonna watch some skaven matches Smile

take care
yggi49

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2013 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

jakse wrote:
yggi49 wrote:
`javaws -uninstall` is obviously not supported by OpenJDK. I deleted the entire `~/.icedtea` directory, forcing to re-download everything, but to no avail.

I switched to Oracle’s JDK now, and it works. I’m not really happy about this move, though, because I didn’t have any problems with the client with IcedTea before.

hey yggi
did you ever find a way of making it work without oracle?

Sorry, I didn’t pursue this any further after switching to Oracle. Maybe it might be worth another try.
Izimpondo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2013 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

i sure think it would... what about working on improving Emerics script like Grod suggested?

#!/bin/bash
javaws -nosecurity $*

i would not know how to but...
Izimpondo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2013 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi EMeric did this work? and how did you associate the jnlp files?

Emeric wrote:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
javaws -nosecurity $*

Jump to: