39 coaches online • Server time: 17:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Roseph

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2014 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck go for it!! Garion do a photo shop one and get it to me. If it isnt this issue its a start for next one
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I could write a tuto on bios as well: finding and cuting nice pictures, examples of menus, creating fluffy borders for your walls of text, etc (check the bio of the Sammiches to get the idea, but I can do much more). However that'll wait until I get back home in... another 6 months? Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and talking about that, I think the GLN would look way prettier if there were borders looking like those of a real magazine or notebook (check the "Memorable Matches" tab of the Flying Sammiches to picture it).

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Spubbbba painting tips. Tools, layering, theory, cheats, etc. Make him tell us how he became so awesome.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The International League wouldn't mind a shout-out in the next issue. It has been very successful, and we have 50 members. Granted it's mostly 2 week games, but it has been a lot of fun. Also the National League round is a lot of fun which is just countrymen from the same nation. The pre-season round starts June 1st!
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2014 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Oh and talking about that, I think the GLN would look way prettier if there were borders looking like those of a real magazine or notebook (check the "Memorable Matches" tab of the Flying Sammiches to picture it).

Alas there are limitations to what we can do with the interface provided. Something like this would be very nice, I agree, but it would be a pain in the arse to code and keep consistent (both between issues and internally to one). Also, we have width restrictions, which are admittedly, a hangover from the days of narrower monitors, but they are still in place, and we have to work within them.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2014 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
The International League wouldn't mind a shout-out in the next issue. It has been very successful, and we have 50 members. Granted it's mostly 2 week games, but it has been a lot of fun. Also the National League round is a lot of fun which is just countrymen from the same nation. The pre-season round starts June 1st!

Send me something on it Bill
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2014 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Would there be any interest on me doing a write Up on the GrodBot and how to make your own?

Oscar Wilde
Kam

Post   Posted: May 02, 2014 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

@ James: I wouldn't be so sure. The width limitation shouldn't be an issue, as images would replace the current margins. You may lose 10px or so, but that's it. Keeping it consistant shouldn't be a problem either. You'd have two ways to do that: having a fixed height for every page, which means that you'd have to split the longest articles into two pages or more - that would be the option mimicing the best real magazines, but indeed, that would also be a pita. The other option would simply be to repeat the same image vertically so it's automatically adjusted to the length of the text and the height of the page. You'd just have to paste one block of code before and after every article (unless the current borders are a part of FUMBBL template, in which case that'd be even easier, as long as Christer is willing to replace the old code by a new one).

But of course, I have no idea how the GLN works, from a technical point of view, and I could be completely missing the point. Yet, as long as you can use basic html (tables with bkgd images), it should be doable pretty easilly. I could make a demo page if you want.

Back on topic: do you need any more articles?

Would a monkey/baboon/gorilla be willing to give an interview (one who has some sense of humour and who can promiss me he won't ban me after the interview for my always very relevant questions)?

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2014 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure where the editors are in the publication process, but I've been thinking a lot about what it's like for new players on FUMBBL. I think it's one of the best online communities I've seen, but there does seem to be a lot of conflicting information being presented to them.

I'd like to write an article with some insight for very new players on how to gauge whether a matchup is fair or unfair, including the obvious (dwarves and amazons) as well as some of the less obvious ways in which unbalanced matches are created. This may help some of them avoid being the cherry if they so choose - though admittedly some of them want to dive right into the deep end to learn the hard way.

Thoughts?
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2014 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a really good idea liquidorange.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2014 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

liquidorange wrote:
Not sure where the editors are in the publication process, but I've been thinking a lot about what it's like for new players on FUMBBL. I think it's one of the best online communities I've seen, but there does seem to be a lot of conflicting information being presented to them.

I'd like to write an article with some insight for very new players on how to gauge whether a matchup is fair or unfair, including the obvious (dwarves and amazons) as well as some of the less obvious ways in which unbalanced matches are created. This may help some of them avoid being the cherry if they so choose - though admittedly some of them want to dive right into the deep end to learn the hard way.

Thoughts?

That is a good idea. First rule: Do not accept any match from Y***. Smile
liquidorange

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2014 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My intent isn't to call out anyone in particular, honestly. I just think it'd be helpful to establish some basics for newbies who really don't have any idea. When I first joined, I didn't fully understand what all the skills did and it was only through persistence and being a stubborn bastard that I learned. There were some helpful folks who pointed out how I could play better/not get picked, but plenty of others who picked the hell out of me until I learned.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2014 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

When is the submission deadline for articles?

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2014 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

A few months ago. Razz

Jump to: