37 coaches online • Server time: 14:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Emberglow

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2004 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

has there been a rules review on diving tackle that i'm not aware of? the rule of thumb in the rulebooks has been that you may see the roll first and then decide if you want to use a skill or trait. i have only recently started to use diving tackle in javabowl and the client doesn't give me the opposing player's dodge roll until i have decided wether to use DT or not. is everything as it should be? it's annoying to take your DT player down when the opponent walzes away with a freaky sixer...
MixX

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2004 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

it's in the differences from board game file if I'm not mistaken, but no this isn't as it should be
Perox

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2004 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Read the file that comes with the JBB client for the differences between the client and the LRB.
Emberglow

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Now i'm wiser. I see you have forgotten one difference from the file though. In JavaBBowl using stand firm isn't optional.
deneb

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

It is the DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt ... meaning "Frequently Asked Question"... it is not all the differences.... Wink

But yes, you are right could be better to add it as well...

Very Happy Cool
deneb
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Only slightly related: I just realised a coding difficulty for our man SkiJunkie, and an interpretation problem to boot...

If the first roll for dodging away from a DTr is good enough normally but will go down from DT, then the dodger should be allowed to try a reroll then, before the turnover is caused by the DT.

OR should the dodger be allowed to reroll AFTER the DTr dives? In which case, the rule about using skills after the roll has been broken anyway. ***MALFUNCTION! DOES NOT COMPUTE!***
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

To answer Covertfun:

The dodger dodges. He moves his square. He makes his roll. AG4, dodging intop 0 TZ. He rolls a 3. Diving Tackler says "I use Diving Tackle" and is then placed prone in the square vacated by the dodging player. After that the Dodger can elect to use a re-roll.

Alternatively, the dodger rolls a 1. Diving Tackle is unnecessary. The re-roll is used. A 3 is rolled. Now the Diving Tackler elects to use his skill to bring the dodger down. Alternatively, a 4 is rolled. Diving Tackle would be useless, and is not used. In the client, it would be used.

Now, what exactly doesn't compute?

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

well, here's another scenario:

dodger dodges. rolls a 3. he elects to not use a RR. diving tackler THEN dives (as it's used after the dodge roll is completed). dodger goes down.
MixX

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know where it says that you can reroll after another action has been taken (the diving tackle), IMO it should only kick in after the dodge roll is done with, and can't be RR'd anymore.
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

thankyou MixX, i thought Mezir didn't get it, but was i-g...

exactly. dodger rolls well enough to get away and chooses not to use a RR. DT then dives, and the dodger uses a RR. The new result obviously sticks, but the point is, the DTr in this scenario used his skill before the relevant roll... it's pedantic, but there may be a ruling somewhere. ?? i dunno for myself
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

There have been long threads on this elsewhere but the clarification is that you can use the dodge RR (or team) after DT has been used. The DT player would remain on the floor.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers DoubleSkulls... that answers THAT one. Smile
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2004 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope its fixed soon.. i hate my gobbos diving for no reason.