39 coaches online • Server time: 11:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bardulf

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2004 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The Game must be Contestant's original work and Contestant must have all necessary rights to it. Modifyimg, enhancing or altering a thid party's pre-existing work does not qualify as an "original work". Contestants are expressly prohibited from violating any third party intellectual property rights or from engaging in unlawful conduct in developing the Game or submitting it to this Contest.

First:

I think is an original work, because i haven't seen any work like that in the net.

If u make a chess game that doesn't mean u have to have the rights over the board chess game am i right?

I think that client only programs a board game into another format.

The problem, is that may be u should reference all trademarks involved.

Solution:

If u take some of the logic of dungeon bowl, some of the logic of BB, enhance player connection to four , six or eight ...
I think u will have a nice RPG battle game.Thinking that you have almost all icons, images etc...

you can do a thing like this ...

At the beggining of the game u will have an amount of money (treasury) and u can hire in the bar some brave men to the treasure hunt (building a team)

The idea will be: All players must get a treasure (ball) that is in the center of the map (field) the first that returns to home with the treasure (tochdown area) wins the game. (simple mecanic always work, remember tetris)

players can shoot/cast (pass/wizard) fire to the enemy, or if they are close enough they can hit (block, blitz) the enemy. (all players are enemies)

U can recycle dodge,armor,injury rolls.. etc.

well i hope u like the idea.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

bardulf wrote:

I think is an original work, because i haven't seen any work like that in the net.

If u make a chess game that doesn't mean u have to have the rights over the board chess game am i right?

Yes, but not for the reason you think. You don't need the rights to the game of chess because it hundreds of years old, and has long ago passed into the public domain. The same is most certainly not true of current board games.

bardulf wrote:

I think that client only programs a board game into another format.

And thus it is a derivitive work by copyright law, meaning all rights are owned by the person who owns the original copyright, IE, Games Workshop.

bardulf wrote:

If u take some of the logic of dungeon bowl, some of the logic of BB, enhance player connection to four , six or eight ...
I think u will have a nice RPG battle game.Thinking that you have almost all icons, images etc...

This you could do, to a point, however the changes that would be requred would be rather significant to no longer qualify as a derivitave work, not to mention if he did this, they may decide to no longer allow him to distribute the blood bowl client, as is fully within their rights to do.

The Finishing Touch
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, as a copyright lawyer, I don't think the client is actually a copyright infringement (at least in Canada). Implementing rules is not a copyright infringement (because you have to copy the expression of the ideas and not the ideas themselves - you can copy ideas but not how they're written down). You definitely are using the trademarks (bloodbowl etc.) though, and that's probably an infringement.

You'd still have problems with "originality" though, becuase the game itself would not be new...

Buttercup
neverborn

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

But in regards to the current competition

sun want you to have complete rights over the program because they no doubt wish to buy/market the winning program to get more people to install/program/use java

Sun wouldnt be able to/interested in buying the rights for bloodbowl, so they could never market/sell javabowl, hence removing the reason for them putting on this competition in the first place.

That said, i think they should give ski $50 and gw should as well, just for good measure. Then give me the rights for bloodbowl.
blitzwing

Post 14 Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

i'll give skijunkie a 1.00
blitzwing

Post 1 Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

ill give skijunkie a 1.00
 Jump to: