55 coaches online • Server time: 18:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 15:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I've been fiddling about with creating leagues so that I can play with the cool new client options. I've been through the League Creation userguide and still have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1) Once I've created the league, if I want to add the options (eg say I want to force a 10 man LOS) is there a way I can add this as a general league rule or does it have to be added to an individual tournament within the group?

2) If it has to be added as a tournament, how do I create a tournament that is just open-play for all the group members? (Like just playing Ranked, but with different rules)

3) Once the group has members, can they find each other on gamefinder? Assuming yes, does it just show other group opponents or all L opponents?

Thanks for any responses.

I wasn't sure where to post this so if a mod thinks it would be better in a different section then feel free to move it Smile

Cheers

Josh
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Rules can only be added to a tournament.
2) I think tournaments can only be open to play for people who are already in the league when the tournament is started. The format you're looking for is called 'open round robin', I think.
3) They can, but it shows them all [L] teams. I advise using the 'group members' tab to find online leaguemates. Obviously, this doesn't help with the options thing since rules can't be added to a group (yet).
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

3- it shows all as sage says, a good thing to do ask all memebers to stick something at the end of their team name. So if your league is called BOOB. Then make your league members call their teams something like - 'Flash Bounders [BOOB]'. That way everyone will recognise people from the same league on game finder.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 15:48
FUMBBL Staff

Thanks for that.

On point 2) Maybe I misread it but I thought open round robin was any team in any order, but they still all have to play each other and only once each? If this does work like an open-play group then that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks on 1) and 3). It's as I suspected Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

For 3, why don't you just make it an open round robin?
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't find Gamefinder that good for leagues. Chat & responding to group PMs seems to work better.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 16:39
FUMBBL Staff

Ok fair enough, works for me.

Really though I was wondering more about question 2. For example, in your advertised OLC, if you decided that you wanted to implement a league wide spiked ball policy, so all games used the spiked ball rule, how would you do that? Would you have to make the whole league into one large open round robin tournament?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes that is a problem. I've mentioned it before.

Open round robins can only take 26 teams and they lock up teams so that they cannot play in any other event.

Also two teams can only play each other once.

If those are not a problem the open round robin does the job.

It would be great to be able to apply rules to a group but I can see that there could be issues when teams are signed up to multiple groups.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 17:17
FUMBBL Staff

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm on the BB7s rules committee and was hoping that the new client options would solve all our problems, but alas it appears that won't be the case, at least not on it's own.

Last edited by mister__joshua on %b %26, %2013 - %17:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well many leagues are 'closed-world', so you could at least allow those to have league-wide rulesets.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 17:26
FUMBBL Staff

That would be ideal. Is this something that's likely to happen? I'm guessing not any time soon?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well an open environment is pretty tricky, impossible if you don't have a group admin around.

Some options are:

1. Have various open round robins 'open', with fillers, and coaches can be flitted in and out of them to play open games.
2. Encourage an open round robin environment where new teams are put into a conveyor belt of open round robins and play those in chat in the same group.
3. When 2 coaches wish to play, set up a 4 man tourney with 2 fillers.
4. Encourage a divisional style open round robin environment, similar to 2, but with coaches moving up and down with their teams.

The last one motivates coaches to play games.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 18:38
FUMBBL Staff

Yeah, that's similar to what I was thinking. If you're a tourney admin, can you end a tourney at any time? what about restarting it?

I was thinking could you have an open round robin for all the teams in the league, then reset it every few weeks when people have eliminated some matchups, and to add new people in. Would this require everyone to re-apply again though? Sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions now.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Once it's ended you can't restart it. You have to create a new one.

You can add filler teams so that new teams can be substituted in after kick off.

You are only allowed a maximum of 26 teams though so you may only be able to allow one team per coach depending on the size of the league.

If you have more than one ORR running the page can be pretty slow to load at times. Wink

Edit:Yes you can end it at any time.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 23:11
FUMBBL Staff

I was just playing about and I think it'll work. If I create the group and start the tourney I can end it and restart it at any time without the group members changing. The team size would be the only problem so may have to think on that.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
 Jump to: