31 coaches online • Server time: 09:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

For reference : https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=729169

How do you start your team?
what are your priority skills? Block vs wrestle vs dodge?
who should be the kicker? Do you need a kicker?

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick on highelfs is very good. Combine it with 2 catchers with ss, dt and kick deep and your opponent is in huge trouble
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm certainly no expert, but I would've started with both blitzers at the expense of some of the catchers.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

My preferred starting roster is 2 blitzers, 1 catcher, 8 lineelf and 3 RR.
First purchase is an apo and then fill with the other catchers, looking for a 12 elf roster in the Box (13 above 160TV).
I usually go for a block lineelf and a blodge catchers at start, to gain a bit of reliability in the 3 opening LOS blocks and blitz, using an unskilled catcher as a ball carrier in a running game (so I don't consider using a thrower).
I will try it with my current BOX team, the Scotch Malts.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

While the catchers are what makes the high elves great (compared to darkies), they're still expensive blodgeless AV7 players to begin with. So you want to buy them sparingly, building them as they skill.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

My favourite start for HE is 2 Blitzers, 2 Catchers, 1 Thrower, 6 line-elves and 2 RRs.

* First skill for a lino is always kick.
* I don't add more catchers until all existing catchers have blodge.
* Thrower is a leader bunny. Leader/Block/Dodge. There's an argument for making him a carrier instead, with sure hands instead of leader. Don't make the mistake of giving him throwing skills.
* After Kick, my linos go wrestle/dodge/ (sidestep for non LOS or fend for LOS).
* Blitzers go Blodge/Tackle for the first, and Blodge/Sidestep for the second.
* The first catcher to 3 skills (post Blodge) gets Frenzy. There's a good argument for moving this to the first catcher to 2 skills, so Block/Frenzy.
* Doubles on Catchers and linos are Guard. On Blitzers, I'll go MB on an early double, and Guard on a late.
* Once you are getting basic skills in place, a DP lineman can actually be quite useful..especially in the Box. If you can remove an annoying PO/Tackler with a foul it makes your life a lot easier.

In terms of game play, if you want to leap/strip the opponent, play Wood Elves. There are times when it's useful to have a leap/strip HE catcher, but I find they really don't last long. Your advantage over Wood/Pro is your armour (so durability), and your advantage over Dark is speed.

Your ideal playstyle (imho) involves a) Marking people when you have to, and b) using your speed to screen, or press as applicable. Once you hit contact, there's pretty much no race in the game that can get outside the range of your catchers, so make use of that. On the flip side, you are AV 8..not AV10, so pick your moment carefully. Pretty much nobody can flank you, so just back off until you think the time is right to hit contact.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the "passing game" so unreliable, even with skills, that all teams should push a running game/quick pass offense?

I ask because I know of no other team with a better passing game, and if the HE shouldn't, then the idea of throwing as a primary attack is flawed in this rule set.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A passing game is not that dangerous. Its often just a 2+or 3+ with reroll extra for elves. That said its not like they need to throw the ball as they have enough move to do a running game with ease all over the pitch. Ag4 pass is more then enough to transport the ball. You dont need more passing skills then that. Its better to go dodge, surehands, block instead of getting accurate/strongarm
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro Elves have a slightly better (the best) passing game due to nerves of steel.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
Is the "passing game" so unreliable, even with skills, that all teams should push a running game/quick pass offense?

I ask because I know of no other team with a better passing game, and if the HE shouldn't, then the idea of throwing as a primary attack is flawed in this rule set.

Pro Elves have the best passing game (passing to marked catchers on a 2+ w/ reroll), but HE are a close second.

That said, a running-based attack is better for every last race. Taking chances with the ball costs you games. Passing is for desperate chances, farming spp, and screwing around for fun (since it's a game, fun is a valid goal).

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:

It's not so much unreliable (high elves with a developed thrower and developed catchers are quite nice), as uncontrollable.

When you are playing a pure throwing game, you lose any attempt to clock control the drive.

The only way to clock control is to prevent them from getting at the ball...which means you need to be playing a 'running' style offence to keep it safe..but once you have to do that to protect the ball, there's no need to make a pass in the first place.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, the advent of stalling and clock control is what makes a passing game not optimal. If people played with the mindset of trying to score as fast as possible on both sides, then passing would probably be more common.

Ex: it's easy to score on turn 2 with Elves/Skaven, but then you give the opponent 14 turns of ball control to bash you into the mud.
SvenS

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Grr had written half a book, then it disappeared Sad Hate typing on my phone...

SL
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've often seen good elf players get pressured on their running game by a handful of KO/CAS and then having to make several 2+ rolls without inbuilt rerolls to switch their position into the opponent's end zone, where as if they had a thrower with accurate and maybe strong arm they could have cut down on the 2+ rolls and added another inbuilt reroll at the same time.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
huff

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

SvenS wrote:
Grr had written half a book, then it disappeared Sad Hate typing on my phone...

Happens to me all the time.. And instead of rewriting its like 'the hell with it, prolly not that important'
 Jump to: