67 coaches online • Server time: 22:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tremendous

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

SvenS wrote:
Grr had written half a book, then it disappeared Sad Hate typing on my phone...

Real shame, would have been interesting to read your thoughts on this SvenS.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
I've often seen good elf players get pressured on their running game by a handful of KO/CAS and then having to make several 2+ rolls without inbuilt rerolls to switch their position into the opponent's end zone, where as if they had a thrower with accurate and maybe strong arm they could have cut down on the 2+ rolls and added another inbuilt reroll at the same time.

Accurate I can agree with. I really don't mind it as a skill, and at times, you need to pass. I think I prefer Blodge/Leader (as pass itself is all the improvement I normally need to the odds), but it's not a bad skill.

Strong Arm? I think you are far better off using your doubles for Guard. Simple. Boring. Effective.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2013 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

High elf team. Ah! My goddesses.
skill progression

Thrower : block,(kick, dodge, leader, tackle)
Thrower : ST+, AG+, dodge, (leap, accurate, block)

Blitzer : blodge, tackle, side step,( diving tackle, fend)
Blitzer : blodge, tackle, side step, ( fend, diving tackle,)

Catcher : dodge, wrestle, tackle, (leap, strip ball)
Catcher : dodge, wrestle, ( side step, diving tackle, tackle)
Catcher : (block, dodge, side step, fend, dauntless)
Catcher : dodge,MA+, (block, side step, fend, tackle)

Line elf : wrestle, dodge, (fend)
Line elf : ( fend, wrestle, dodge)
Line elf : ( fend, wrestle, dodge)
Line elf : kick, ( block, dodge, fend)
Line elf : ag+, wrestle ( leap, strip ball, tackle, dodge)

Post   Posted: May 16, 2013 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Criticism? thoughts ?

Post   Posted: May 16, 2013 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

That it's a really weird thread necro?
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=729169

Here is the current team discussed from a few months ago. Other than pick better opponents (I try not to pick) how can I improve this team? TV? Bloat? Play style?

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you think having 2 catchers without dodge is a good idea?

Seems you have a lot of players that will get a lot better with their next skill up so the team should improve a lot almost by itself in the coming games. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I probably should have purchased a lino instead of a catcher. Right now, the rookie blitzer is riding line duty.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Feels like throw a lot of passes next few games to skill up players.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
I probably should have purchased a lino instead of a catcher. Right now, the rookie blitzer is riding line duty.

"Probably"? That's an expensive player to put in harm's way as a game plan. Confused

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay couple of rules I'm following for high elves. I didn't follow these when I made my team, but I wish I had.

1) Doubles on the blitzers is mighty blow, not guard
2) Doubles on the catchers is guard, unless you have no mighty blow
3) Doubles on the linemen is always guard
4) Never more than 1 catcher without Blodge. Dodge first.
5) You're probably only going to use 2-3 catchers, so think hard before taking wrestle on one.
6) Your linemen have outstanding stats already. They don't need +STR/+AG/+MA.
7) This team needs a thrower, but be careful about investing too much TV in one.
8. 5,5 on a thrower is +MA all day. +AG gets dangerously bloaty, but is very nice.
9) Your blitzers need to be your star defenders. Build them like you would a Wardancer, and use them as feature players.

Now, specific to your team:

1. That thrower changes the way you want to play this team. He's a ballcarrier, not a quarterback. Sure Hands next skill, but really not a cost-effective player.
2. #11, the +AG, Wrestle lineman is pretty mediocre for his cost.
3. The Blodge/Strip Ball blitzer is a great player, but if he's your sacker, why do half your catchers have wrestle?
4. This team is screaming for mighty blow and guard. Not having it really makes them uncompetitive at the TV you are playing at.
5. 11 players just isn't enough at 1800+ TV. Especially since you've got 4 AV7 players.

This really isn't a team I would build. It does seem like you are doing okay with them, but I think it's going to be rough sledding from here on in. Just from looking at the players (and not the replays), it seems like you are trying to play a skaven/welf style defense. I've found that High Elves really don't have to be that aggressive when defending, and are better off playing a similar positioning defense to Dark Elves.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe a 6 4 5 8, block, dodge player at 220k is bloaty?

Why would you take guard on your AV7 and mighty blow on your AV8?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the thrower should get sure hands, then leap as legend to be really really epic.
I mostly like your plan for progression. I do think strip ball on the blitzer is a shame since you make 2 catchers and a lino into sackers. I love sacking play with developed helves. You have the speed to pull off the steal, and the armor to survive the connected play it requires. It goes amazingly very well with a +AG thrower too.

I agree with your lino skill selection, but not so much with the order in which you'll take them.
I'd give the AG lino dodge first, then strip, then leap, then tackle.
LoS linos should get fend as 2nd or even 3rd skill imo, not 1st. I like dodge first at lower TV (when oppos might lack block) and wrestle first at higher TVs (when you expect block + tackle.

I would have made the MA9 catcher an OTTD spec. (blodge ss sure feet sprint leap or smth) but he's gone so that's moot.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, I prefer to score quick with elves of all types because I want bodies in the defensive line. If you run and gun with AV7 Pro Elves or a nasty Claw team with AV8 HE's, then you'll still score but have less numbers to defend with.

A deep bench, score quick, and turnover the ball with aggressive defence!
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2013 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Hehe a 6 4 5 8, block, dodge player at 220k is bloaty?

I think so. He contributes very little defensively, aside from being able to 2d things without an assist. He's significantly slower than the other positionals. He'd be great in a cage game, but this team doesn't really have the guard to support that style. I have my own bloaty thrower with many of these same issues that I should probably cut, but won't.

Overhamsteren wrote:
Why would you take guard on your AV7 and mighty blow on your AV8?

I know it sounds strange, but yeah I think that's the way to do it. Blitzers start with block, meaning they are already a step ahead to get the bash skills. A catcher attrition piece is already 4 skills deep (Block, Dodge, Mighty Blow, Tackle) to get the basics. That's not to say I'd never make one. Obviously you can create a pretty good hitting catcher, but given my choice I'd rather have mighty blow on a blitzer. Obviously you're going to want to pick your spots with guard catchers, but guard works very well with the basic offensive catcher skills (Block, Dodge, Sidestep), you don't need to take supplemental skills to support it (Tackle, Piling On), and the MA8 can really help them get into position.

In hindsight, I made quite a few mistakes with my High Elves. If the second blitzer had taken mighty blow, I could have gone with strip ball on the 5ag leaper, rather than tackle. Mighty Blow on the thrower was idiotic, and if I could take things back I would go with leader or kick. The Wrestle/Strip catcher has been pretty useless, and I think I'd be happier with another blodger. His last skill was a double, and I would happily replace him with a blodge/sidestep/guard catcher if I could take it all back. Unfortunately, these players have proven to be extremely durable, and until they die I am stuck with them.
 Jump to: