83 coaches online • Server time: 21:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you know how to use Direct connection?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 83 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 93

Munkager

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

With all this bandwidth stories going around, I was just wondering if there is still some coaches out there who just dont know how to connect using direct connection.

I didnt know how for a long time, then i found out that it is as easy as using a proxy.

Smile

BTW.

You can learn how to do it in the userguide.
http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=SettingUpGames

Just remember you can also do this when using the Java gamelauncher.
Petit-Trot

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really knowledgeable about computers and internet. But I still figured out how to do it. But I still have a few questions. My problem is I use the Windows XP firewall, and without a fixed IP, it is a major pain in the butt to leave ports open. So what I'm asking here, taking into consideration I don't really know what a firewall does, would it be safe for me to simply turn the firewall off for a game, then turn it back on after?
Delta

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as a none tecchy, a thought has occured to me that might help. (but might not be possible)

Perhaps the JBB Client to be coded to automatically detect the users IP address and suggest that as the default?

IMO the majority of people playing by proxy are too lazy, or just don't know how to connect directly.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, but it's a fact of life....if something is easy to do, people won't even look for another way of doing it.

If possible then I think this would help a lot of the proxy connect/bandwidth issues as it would make a direct connection the default setting.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Petit-Trot Simply put, yes you can. If you have a good anti-virus running you should be fine. Make sure though that you turn the FW back on afterwards. The firewall isn't truly effective against a real attack, being a software firewall, but it's nice to have it for good protection.

Mac

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Delta wrote:
...Perhaps the JBB Client to be coded to automatically detect the users IP address and suggest that as the default?

It does. If you uncheck proxy and host a game, it starts up and displays your IP address (right before it says "waiting for client"). That's the number to give your opponent.

Delta wrote:
IMO the majority of people playing by proxy are too lazy, or just don't know how to connect directly.

It's no harder than playing on the proxy. What is harder for some people, unfortunately, is reading instructions.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I know 31 answers isnt a lot to build any thesis on, but I will do so anyway.

Assuming that the largest part of the users on fumbbl knows how to do this, shouldnt we try and do that to see if it helps the usage of bandwidth.

So in the future no more Proxy:Abra cadabra Smile
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Munkager wrote:

So in the future no more Proxy:Abra cadabra Smile

That's what i'm preaching since about a year.. but most coaches just refuse to play over ip pretending they don't know how to do so (even when you tell em step by step), or they are afraid you could cheat more easily when hosting on your machine (which is not the case)

But i would gladly appreciate when people would turn away from the laggy and unstable proxies towards the ip-hosting, and if anyone has problems how to do it would be glad to help you out. Just ask me when i'm in the chat.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Delta wrote:
...Perhaps the JBB Client to be coded to automatically detect the users IP address and suggest that as the default?

It does. If you uncheck proxy and host a game, it starts up and displays your IP address (right before it says "waiting for client"). That's the number to give your opponent.

Unless you are on a private network sharing an internet connection. But then you can see your IP address either on your overview or at www.myip.com (IP address in this case is the host number to give to your opponent).

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

www.whatismyip.com
works too
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I NEVER USE DIRECT CONNECT AND I KNOW HOW!! MUHWAWAWAWAWAWAWAW!

Jam it, flood it, lag it some more!

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

i used to use IP addresses when i first joined fumbbl as i didnt really know what proxy was, nowadays i normally use proxy just because its much easier than typing in the IP address into the address bar, if its gonna cost christer too much to keep the site up tho then ill use IP from now on

"Best Bar in This Street"
veron

Post 13 Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
I NEVER USE DIRECT CONNECT AND I KNOW HOW!! MUHWAWAWAWAWAWAWAW!

Jam it, flood it, lag it some more!

Select an action for Darkwolf
(1) REALLY STUPID roll fails!
Munkager

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you can copy & paste if that is not TOO MUCH work Smile
Elrod

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Petit-Trot wrote:
I'm not really knowledgeable about computers and internet. But I still figured out how to do it. But I still have a few questions. My problem is I use the Windows XP firewall, and without a fixed IP, it is a major pain in the butt to leave ports open. So what I'm asking here, taking into consideration I don't really know what a firewall does, would it be safe for me to simply turn the firewall off for a game, then turn it back on after?

If you want to keep a software firewall (not the perfect solution but better than nothing) you could try Zonealarm. It fairly easy to use and lets you decide what programs you let access the web and when. Best of all: the home PC version is free.

Coupled with a decent antivirus you have yourself an ok line of defense.

Of course, a physical router/firewall would be even better. Moreso if coupled with the software firewall and the antivirus.
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm Okay but i connect through a LAN and the two sites and Fumbbl all give me different IP addresses so im pretty sure i cant host direct connect however i am always willing to let my opponent host direct connect
 Jump to: