55 coaches online • Server time: 20:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ScroogeMeiser

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone, first time forum poster, big time fan. Anyway my question is exactly what the subject says. Is retiring a player just because they have an injury or niggle worth doing nearly every time? I've seen it posted elsewhere that once a player gets hit with one of those it's time to let them go. I assume they also mean, unless they are skilled as well. Anyway, I'm curious as to the thoughts of the wise veteran coaches.
Drrek

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Almost all nigglers should be retired. For other -Stats, often its a retire, but not always. Say you get a -MA on a +ST guy, its probably still worth it to keep the guy. For the most part though, you generally do not want injured/niggled players.
ScroogeMeiser

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply Drrek! My next question is then, why retire them and use a journeyman immediately? Why not simply use them until they can be replaced?
koadah

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends. Wink

It is going to depend on the player.

A niggle makes it easier to remove the player. A loner has trouble with rerolls.

You have weigh up which is the bigger issue for you.

It depends on your environment.

If you are playing a mainly TV matched div like Box or Ranked firing players and keeping your TV down means you get an easier opponent.

But in a league you might worry about falling behind in the arms race so you may need to keep the players and hang on to your money so that you can afford to replace positionals.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks koadah. Ok, that makes sense.
But lets throw out some examples here;
1)A Saurus with blodge gets a niggle. Keep or can?
2)A Saurus with blodge gets -move. Keep or can?
3)A Saurus with blodge gets - av. Keep or can?
4)A Chaos Warrior with Claw and Might Blow gets a niggle or -av. Keep or can?
5)A Wood Elf positional of any kind gets -agility. Keep or can?
Just some examples, obviously there could be many more. Oh and let's consider it in blackbox or ranked instead of a league.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Keep if you're young enough that the money matters. Can on a developed team.
2) Keep.
3) See #1.
4) See #1.
5) Can.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks JR. Appreciate the input. That's about what I figured. Alright then, something for me to remember for the future.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Another depends. It depends on the team.

I'd keep the saurus. But I don't want 4 niggled sauri.

But box is tough. You don't want to keep firing people only to end up with 6 journeymen and no money to replace positionals.

Depends on your goals. Do you want a big team to compete in the Majors or are you happy to play at 1500 or less for ages.

Have I plugged 145 Club yet? Wink

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

ScroogeMeiser wrote:
Thanks koadah. Ok, that makes sense.
But lets throw out some examples here;
1)A Saurus with blodge gets a niggle. Keep or can?
2)A Saurus with blodge gets -move. Keep or can?
3)A Saurus with blodge gets - av. Keep or can?
4)A Chaos Warrior with Claw and Might Blow gets a niggle or -av. Keep or can?
5)A Wood Elf positional of any kind gets -agility. Keep or can?
Just some examples, obviously there could be many more. Oh and let's consider it in blackbox or ranked instead of a league.

1,2,3 -- I would use on the LOS and not apoth him until he suffer more injuries...then retire.
4 -- Easy to replace, so fire him.
5 -- Probably fire, but a MBPO tackle wardancer I would keep with -ag for example...so depends a bit on specifics.

There are two aspects that generally weigh in:

1) How easy is it to replace the player with the injury?
2) How much treasury do you have?

It depends a lot on your team...a team with plenty of cash that getting a niggled rookie - fire and replace. However, if the team is high TV and low on cash - then often forced to keep injured players.

I will give some examples:
Dollhouse (pro elves) - you see I keep linemen with -stats because it is expensive to constantly replace linemen, so I keep them until they have at least 2 injuries generally.
Tiny Steel Hammers (dwarves) - also I have several injuries on rookies/near-rookies because the team is cash-strapped and if I was to fire them I could not keep a bench for future games.
Seven Pillars (skaven) - this is a league team but showcases another common thing with injured players -- that is to give them DP if they are linemen. They still can do their job.
Burn Notice (skaven) - here is an example of a blitzer who has -ag, but I kept. He is a well developed clawpomber for a skaven team and the -ag is annoying but does not really effect his job, so hard to replace means I keep him around.

Bottom line is that generally I will retire a player if they are a positional with an injury if I feel I can replace them easily enough. Linemen I generally keep with injures just so it does not drain my coffers. Also I almost never apoth linemen on my teams.
ScroogeMeiser

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I greatly appreciate the input. Also, awesome examples Azure. And I have to say, that's an impressive dead/retired list on your Burn Notice team.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, a couple of -stats is manageable, you will always need LoS gimps and these guys are ideal for that role (not nigglers though!). Generally -stat guys you dont want them to develop any more they are just there to soak up some agro while you work on the rest of the team. Some races can handle -stats better than others though. Chaos, i.e. dont seem to mind any -stat too much so long as it isnt strength. Likewise no-one cares if they get -ag on their zombie. It should be obvious pretty quickly how much of an issue it is. If you find yourself overprotecting an injured player, its time to get rid.
Drrek

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Yeah, a couple of -stats is manageable, you will always need LoS gimps and these guys are ideal for that role (not nigglers though!). Generally -stat guys you dont want them to develop any more they are just there to soak up some agro while you work on the rest of the team. Some races can handle -stats better than others though. Chaos, i.e. dont seem to mind any -stat too much so long as it isnt strength. Likewise no-one cares if they get -ag on their zombie. It should be obvious pretty quickly how much of an issue it is. If you find yourself overprotecting an injured player, its time to get rid.

unless you are overprotecting them because they are an OTTer with -AV or something.
Roland

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Fimivor has played quite some games with a niggle. I keep him mainly because he's ST4 blodge. But I do have to protect him more...

I tend to keep more players in [L] than [B]/[R], beacuse there's usually a limited ammount of games in [L].
ScroogeMeiser

Post   Posted: May 26, 2013 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so time to put my questions to the test. http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9416819 Tail here just received a niggle. He's also a blodger Saurus on a relatively undeveloped team; http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=738020 That's The Dinomites, a fairly new Lizard team. Do I retire him? Do I keep him? Do I keep him but plan on retiring him in the near future?
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 26, 2013 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

i suggest making your own decisions, seeing how things turn out, and then adjusting your future decisions based on these outcomes. it is called learning by experience. the best method.

Jump to: