32 coaches online • Server time: 02:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

So I have acquired a copy of the 2nd Ed. Dungeonbowl boxed set & am looking to update the Colleges of Magic rosters to reflect the 24 races that appear in CRP.

One thing I love about Dungeonbowl is how the teams are all mixed race & allow for 3 Tiers of choices in players. So I'm looking to hear from others & create a discussion on how I can update & balance them, w/ all races included, for a custom tabletop set I am making.

1. BASIC TEAM CREATION RULES:
As per the 2nd Ed. boxed set

Player Tiers:
Main= 0-16 players
Secondary= 0-6 players
Tertiary= 0-2 players

Player Types Allowed:
Linemen= 0-16
Blockers= 0-4
Blitzers= 0-2
Throwers= 0-2
Catchers= 0-4
Big guys= 0-1
Special= 0-1

2. POSITIONALS:

Linemen: As described in each roster, but also including-
Skink, Beastmen, Goblin, Skeleton, Zombie, Hobgoblin, Halfling, Rotter, Snotling, Thrall & Dwarf Blocker.

Blockers: Yeomen, Saurus, Chaos Warrior, Flesh Golem, Chaos Dwarf Blocker, Mummy, Nurgle Warrior, Vampire, Tomb Guardian & Black Orc Blocker.

Blitzers: As described in each roster, but also including-
Werewolf, Bull Centaur, Ulfwerner, Wight, Skaven Renegade, Pestigor, Witch Elf, Troll Slayer, Blitz-Ra & Wardancer.

Throwers: As described in each roster, but also including-
Dark Elf Runner, Dwarf Runner & Thro-Ra

Catchers: As described in each roster, but also including-
Gutter Runner, Ghoul & Norse Runner.

Big Guys: As described in each roster

Special: Fanatic, Pogoer, Looney, Bombardier, Deathroller & Dark Elf Assassin.

3. ORIGINAL 2ND ED. COLLEGE OF MAGIC ROSTERS:
*To the right of each are my current suggestions

Light: Lore of Light (White)
Team-Doom Forgers
Main-Dwarf
Secondary-Halfling
Tertiary-Werewolf

Gold: Lore of Metal (Yellow)
Team-War Hawks
Main-Orc
Secondary-Snotling
Tertiary-Ogre

Jade: Lore of Life (Green)
Team-Green Destroyers
Main-Goblin
Secondary-Orc
Tertiary-Troll

Celestial: Lore of the Heavens (Blue)
Team-Celestial Comets
Main-Elf
Secondary-Elf
Tertiary-Elf

Grey: Lore of Shadows (Grey)
Team-Grey Shadows
Main-Human
Secondary-Snotling
Tertiary-Ogre

Amethyst: Lore of Death (Purple)
Team-Grim Reapers
Main-Skaven
Secondary-Goblin
Tertiary-Minotaur

Bright: Lore of Fire (Red)
Team-Blood Axes
Main-Dwarf
Secondary-Human
Tertiary-Dwarf

Amber: Lore of Beasts (Brown)
Team-Storm Bolts
Main-Dark Elf
Secondary-Orc
Tertiary-Skaven

High: Lore of 8 Winds (Rainbow)
Team-Harlequins
Main- Elf
Secondary- Halfling
Tertiary- Human

Dark: Lore of Chaos (Black)
Team-Black Widows
Main-Skeleton
Secondary-Mummy
Tertiary-Troll

4. CUSTOM RULES:

Objective:
To use this as a one-off style set for use w/ friends & family. Meaning the teams number of players & postionals will be pre-set at an optimal starting roster & will not change, however, there will be a skill pack to choose skills from to customize your team before play begins each game. So, sort of a tournament style rule-set. I plan to acquire & paint all 10 COM teams so they are available to use when I take the set out for use as well as make a custom & customizable dungeon pitch, but this is going to take a long while as I'm not a person w/ huge amounts of time for this kind of stuff.

Team Building Resources:
Gold= 1,100,000
Re-Rolls= 3rr per team at no cost.
Apothecary= All teams receive one at no cost in the form of Ed'e Warrings magic sponge.
Skills Pack- 160,000 gold to purchase regular/doubles skills. No more than 2 skills stacked per player.

5. POINTS OF DISCUSSION:
1. I'm sure the rosters need to be adjusted from what I have suggested so how should the Colleges be aligned for CRP?
2. What is the optimal starting roster for each college?
3. Are the custom rules going to achieve what I am looking for in a one-off game set? For example is 1.1M gold enough to create some cool teams w/ lots of positional variety?
4. Do the number of positionals allowed need to be changed? Blitzers 0-4? Or maybe each COM should have it's own specific limitations on positionals for better overall balance?
5. Are the player types all in the right positional category?

I would appreciate any & all help on this I can get!

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %08, %2013 - %04:%Jul; edited 7 times in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

all ready been done, and the new rules can be played on cyanide if you want. Though they really made a mess so you might be better off updating them your self Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
all ready been done, and the new rules can be played on cyanide if you want. Though they really made a mess so you might be better off updating them your self Wink

Shocked No interest in cyanide whatsoever OR how they have likely butchered Dungeonbowl & anyways this is for a custom table top set, not for online. Maybe read the entire post Garion. I think w/ your experience you could be someone who could help out allot w/ this project of mine. Feel free to contribute constructively anytime sir. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 03:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Um, Brettonian and Yeoman?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

WoodPusher wrote:

http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/playbooks/Bretonnian_Playbook.pdf

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
WoodPusher wrote:

I see. As for discussion point number 3, I think that if you go with the plan of giving everybody their re-rolls free, then you will get some very interesting (and hopefully fun!) teams.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

WoodPusher wrote:
Nightbird wrote:
WoodPusher wrote:

I see. As for discussion point number 3, I think that if you go with the plan of giving everybody their re-rolls free, then you will get some very interesting (and hopefully fun!) teams.

Yeah that was why I am thinking of it. I mean it's meant to be a pull out board game set & to be more fun than for super competition. So I think if the teams all have the most interesting players it will be more so. I do want it to be fairly balanced though, so I don't wanna go crazy w/ it, that's why I'm looking for other viewpoints.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

By changing races to rosters I think you'll losing the feel of Dungeonbowl. I think you'd be better suited by adding more colleges rather than changing rosters to the original ones.

Or by just using rosters instead.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Were they the original colleges...they look mental to me. Jade wizards should be wood elf primarily, not green skins. Also dark should be chaos teams IIRC. Grey should be the undead really. Hmm i will have a think later and put the teams with the colleges that actually make sense.

Though you should look at the 2nd ed DB teams and base it on that. I will have a look dungeon bowl is one area I don't know quite so much about. Though the teams to college alignment looks mental to me.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the fluff had a bit about why they chose what etc

It was a way to get all the races playing but in a new way.

At this stage there wasn't any chaos, it was before Star Player & Companion.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I wish I had dungeon bowl 2nd ed I used to have a link to the rules online but cant find it anymore :'(

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah these are the original colleges.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Yeah these are the original colleges.

+1

As point #3 states these are the original rosters, under each College of Magic, right from the boxed set rule book.

harvestmouse wrote:
By changing races to rosters I think you'll losing the feel of Dungeonbowl. I think you'd be better suited by adding more colleges rather than changing rosters to the original ones.

Or by just using rosters instead.

You mean using the straight CRP rosters? Now that would totally lose the Dungeonbowl feel!

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %04, %2013 - %17:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i didnt doubt it, but it seems mental to me. They are all aligned to the wrong wizards, would like to read the book to find out why tbh.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
yeah i didnt doubt it, but it seems mental to me. They are all aligned to the wrong wizards, would like to read the book to find out why tbh.

To an extent I agree, but Jade representing Greenskins...surely this jives.

They do sort of seem random at times though. Which is a big reason I'm asking for a discussion like this & help re-aligning. I think as long as we keep the mixed race, 3 tier theme to each college we will hold onto what makes Dungeonbowl unique IMO. Of course I'd like to stick as closely as balance warrants to the original rosters, hence my initial suggestions to the right of each in (*italics).

Some of my suggestions do seemed forced, but the new races need to fit somewhere & TBH I'm not really inclined to add more Colleges of Magic atm as I don't want to have to acquire & paint more than 10 teams.

As for the Brettonians, well I really like them & thought they fit well in the human slot in the 'Bright' category.

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %04, %2013 - %17:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: