41 coaches online • Server time: 09:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ayahuasca

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

match report form Moria Miners (dwarfs) and Insanity Strikes Back (halflings)

His Game Comments:
A halfing team ASKS to play a dwarf team...what coach wouldn't accept. but apparently it falls under arranged games, so my team gets retired.

Shows that the admins are more worried about precieved fairness than doing someting about coaches like SoSoGi, who repeatedly calls coaches names and other things, but still goes on playing.

BAh, this game gets me too worked up in an online environement anyway...

So long Fumbbl, I know you wont' miss me..enjoy SoSogi and his 'Noob Fat Ass' remarkes.

My Game Comments:

Right on mate... That was actually second time the kicked me and all me team on 2 days... If I wanna play with me halflings and want ppl to mash em senseless, that is up to me and the coach Im playing at the moment... I know ppl like to bash a team and think its fun and Im enjoying to see the damn halflings to get bashed into a muddy pool of blood and gore and secondly I play against anyone and any team... ITS NOT "FIXIN GAMES" as the admin called it and kicked me... Its just PURE evilty and fun... I thought Blood Bowl was about fun, the admin take it far to serious!
Ayahuasca

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW they are in the T league now... If you wanna bash em send me a message =)!
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It grieves me to see that people have the impression we try to take the fun away from you. I'll try to explain why this rule is here, and why the things happened the way they happened.

The "rule" referred to here to me is - as so many others - trying to give a guideline as to what should be common sense on FUMBBL. I can see that you have fun seeing your 'flings being bashed into the ground, and I have no problems with that, I have been doing weird stuff with my teams as well at times. And yet still we ask you to play balanced games, i.e. games close to your own TR and TS (and accept only games like that), no matter what pursuits you have with your team. Try to see the big picture - fumbbl in it's entiety tries to be a balanced and, at least somewhat, competitive league - giving a dwarf team an opportunity to play down 220 in TR against a stunty team creates an imbalance and the dwarven team gains an advantage in form of easy and free spp. Games like this, having the whole of fumbbl in perspective only have one effect: One coach is handing over spps without any type of challange to another coach. That is what we prefer not to see.

So, you can play your flings and accept any challenge - but there are plenty of teams around your own tr to play against. I have tried to explain that point to you before Ayahuasca, but you were, at that time, too emotinally tangled (and quite abusive towards me).

Regarding the point raised in the matchreport in respect of abusive language - inform us, and we can talk to the coach in question - DON'T assume though that we can have eyes and ears everywhere. Fumbbl has become too big for only a few people to monitor consistently. You as a player and part of the community are as responsible for making this a friendly and worthwhile place to be in as we are.

-Mnemon
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a clarification, Yesterday I wished to play against some goblin cheaters who were much much stronger than my nurglings i.e. about 100 STR, now this wasn't exacly hard since they were at 35 STR themselves. The other coach did not want to play since he though his team may get retired. Personaly I would have done alright since I would have gotten plenty of handicaps and would have evened things up a lot. Would this really be considered not kosher? I thought no one would care since it is stunty, unranked and all for fun, I mean I would have got mashed in the next game regardles of who I played atleast this way I would have crippled his team with handicaps Smile and gotten what I would consider a fair game.

So really what this long winded garbage boils down to is: Does this apply to stunty?
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ayahuasca wrote:
A halfing team ASKS to play a dwarf team...what coach wouldn't accept. but apparently it falls under arranged games, so my team gets retired.

If someone else asks you to break rules it does not change the fact that youre breaking the rules. And if you do break the rules you are goin to get punished.

Quote:
Shows that the admins are more worried about precieved fairness than doing someting about coaches like *****, who repeatedly calls coaches names and other things, but still goes on playing.

We dont ban coaches for good from first complains people make from them. Othervice you would not be able to play here anymore.

Quote:
I thought Blood Bowl was about fun, the admin take it far to serious!

This is competive league, we have told you that if you want to play against the simple and clear rules, you do that in tournament division or just play and do not upload your games to Fumbbl. It is plain and simple.

If you dont like the way Fumbbl is set up, youre free to arrange your own league with your own rules, on your own site. People will happily how to do that using League Manager software.

cjohnsto wrote:

Does this apply to stunty?

Clearly not.
phillier

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...TR is not nearly as important now that handicaps are implemented. I will gladly play up 50-75 points in TR if str is a bit closer cause I get handicaps. I never play a rollover game in which the other coach can get free and easy spp(although this happens from time to time) and I would hope that teams are not being retired and coaches reprimanded based solely on TR comparisons fom games played.
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

To some coaches who are afraid they are not allowed to play games with any tr/str differences here is little clarification:

Code:
Arranged games (ie. playing to lose) will not be tolerated. The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events.

Quote:
I know ppl like to bash a team and think its fun and Im enjoying to see the damn halflings to get bashed into a muddy pool of blood and gore and secondly I play against anyone and any team...

Code:
Coaches are expected to play reasonably balanced games. Play against lower rated teams is allowed, but should not be abused.

Quote:
str 76 new all-halfling team vs str 138 Dwarf team
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, I did not post the match report...didn't have any intention of posting it. But since it was posted. I was under the impression that this was NOT an arranged game. I was playing to win, and the halfings, at least for the 1st half (until they were out due to injuries), tried to get to the ball and advance it, and also worked hard to stop my advancing. Heck, they caused the first casualty.. in my mind, it was not an arragnged game, I thought it fell under the 'Coaches are expected to play reasonably balanced games. Play against lower rated teams is allowed'. Apparently not. Yet, in over 250 games on fumbbl, I'd not played an 'unbalanced game' such as this only once...so my team is retired..and the other team, though moved to the Tournament division, is still around. I felt, (and feel) the 'punishment' for my team was excessive.

But, it matters not...it's just a team..nothing important or anything. And it allows me to take a break from FUMBBL for a while...playing way too much of it as it was, and other things in my life were suffering because of it. This is a hard addiction to shake.

btw, I did report the coach in question (mispelt his name in my match report)..and I've heard from other coaches that he is not pleasant to play against. (I'll go remove the name frtom my match report now that more will see that)
origami

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be a good idea to give an exact definition of "reasonably balanced."

"Coaches are expected to play reasonably balanced games. Play against lower rated teams is allowed, but should not be abused."

The above statement is a good guideline, but it's open to a lot of interpretation. Not everybody is going to have the same take on what is balanced and what is not. I know of some higher ranked coaches who will deliberately offer a match where there is a hefty difference in TS/TR in order to make up for the skill difference.
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Ayahuasca wrote:
Shows that the admins are more worried about precieved fairness than doing someting about coaches like SoSoGi, who repeatedly calls coaches names and other things, but still goes on playing.

I hate to say this, but this is true. I have posted a thread about sogogi's actions and all that happened is that the thread got deleted. I did, however, recieve several PM's about him and how they agree with me. Sogogi's actions to other coaches is unacceptable, but no one seems to give a crap. Sad really.

I took a screenshot of his childness. You can see it here:

http://sn2.cwihosting.com/~feder/jerk.gif

Mnemon wrote:
You as a player and part of the community are as responsible for making this a friendly and worthwhile place to be in as we are.

Hold true to your word Mnemon and please do something about sogogi.

ON THE TOPIC AT HAND

I have to stick up for GorTex here. If the fling team was 76 ST 100TR, and the Dwarf team was STR 138 (putting them at about 130ish TR due to guard inflating STR) then that is only a difference of about 30 TR.

Now, I thought the whole purpose of even CREATING the handicap table for FUMBBL was so that lower rated teams would get a benefit for playing up. Apparently this is not the case.

If you are going around retiring teamsthat are playing down, then you better retire an Ogre team that challenged me. The team was 170ish TR and i was 120ish. Thats 50 points, a hefty difference. But guess what: due to favorable handicaps and good play I was able to win 4-0.

I guess from now on, I had better make sure that I play people that I dont give handicaps to, or are less than my STR.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Arranged games (ie. playing to lose) will not be tolerated. The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events

If you look at the game with the most TD's, you'll notice that one coach is placing the ball so that a touchback will occur almost every time so that the other coach can score a 1 turn TD. What happened to those 2 teams?

As far as this thread goes, who cares if a lower ranked team challenges a higher ranked team as long as it's not obvious that they aren't doing that to inflate the other teams SPP's (and I think it's pretty obvious watching the game later if they were or not).

I'm more concerned with a higher ranked team going around all the time challenging the lower ranked teams.
Ayahuasca

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

WHEN WHY DO YOU HSAVE HALFLING TEAMS I THE DIVS?????
quota

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ayahuasca wrote:
WHEN WHY DO YOU HSAVE HALFLING TEAMS I THE DIVS?????

Who can argue against this?!

Ok, I'll try...

I have a goblin team. I usually play lower TR, trying to balance the TS somewhat. It means I give up one or two handicap rolls most matches. In the first matches for a stunty team this isn't possible of course, unless you're lucky enough to find a battered team with four players missing the game. Instead you can play against new teams until your players get some skills and your TS rises above 100.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It is really very simple

if you play down in tr or str then make sure it is a reasonable game, teams can play down 100 str, but thats normally 300-200 and it is because there are few teams in that region and both coaches think they can win the game.

When you play down 60 tr against an all halfling team you are not expecting an even match, you are expecting a bloodbath and an spp fest, and thats what happened.

Both coaches played in bad faith, they didnt not adhear to the central rule of fumbbl which is that the games should be reasonable. One team was always going to win and the other was always going to get flogged.

on another point raised here

if you see something dodgy, like an all halflinf team get beat down, or two coaches playing a game where they were giving away spps, or someone swearing in a match report or in the chat - report it.

seriously, we like getting reports, it helps us make sure that fewer teams get away with being dodgy and that is in everyones interest.

To give you some idea, teams that recieve or give away basically free spps will always be deleted because it just isnt fair to other teams who have to play them later. Coaches who intentioanlly drop from games will also have their teams removed. People who swear will usually be given warnings before we kick them out.

Hope this helps guys, the rule of thumb when playing up or down in open of divx is always - will this be a fair game where both coaches have some chance of winning.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious as to why it has to always be team retirement. It should be possible to just remove that game..treat it as if it never happened. Retiring the team seems very over board--especially on a first 'offense' (though I still think it was not as bad as those in power seem to think)