50 coaches online • Server time: 16:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to paint and what to buy?
The "normal" way (like my half-painted skaven team)
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Speed paint! Wham bam and done!
37%
 37%  [ 16 ]
Something else, like....
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Paint a pie with icing instead.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 43

Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2013 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

ah maybe, or possibly from too close, you can tell there is too much because in the picture the coat of paint looks shiny instead of mat...

but you live and learn Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Tip for not over-spraying is to never start or finish spraying while pointed at the model. Start aiming slightly to the side of the model, then press down and make passes across it. Just like car painters do.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

that's a very good tip I had to learn the hard way.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I did do that but probably still sprayed too much and too close. So for me it's the hard way too. Now what? Sandpaper attack?

How do I get the paint to be "dryer". It looks watered down to me. It's probably worse because of the way-too-smooth-priming.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

if you water your paint down just put a tiny bit on the bush apply it and then it dries very very quickly so you can quickly build up layers that way.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

water it down even more? I tried not to use any water at all eventually but I find the paint doesn't cover the primer much.

Multiple layers... sounds like more work :s
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you mean that the paint looks watered down before you use it? Or that the paint you've put on their faces looks watered down? If it's the latter, then the answer isn't using thicker/drier paint, it's adding more thin layers.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say both. I've tried doing two layers now on the human linemen and I'm not really happy with it but at least with their skin-colored faces and red pants/arms they look as if I could start playing with them. Very Happy Picture coming soon.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong...ha no doubt! But I mean more wrong than I think I am. Should the base layer cover the surfaces that aren't the deeper parts of the miniature? Fully cover that is, no primer showing?

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

all I know from this thread, is I'm rooting for Badoek to have decently painted, playable miniatures. GL HF =)
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

define "decently" :s

primer black still showing in the endn end result is fine, right? as a team color.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

http://i41.tinypic.com/2vniaex.jpg
hard to post from phone. Now where did i put that other picture...

edit: found it!
http://i41.tinypic.com/3150itd.jpg
Badoek

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2014 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Another update:
Progress is slooooooooooooooooooow. I won't touch the stuff for weeks and then paint two evenings in a row but I still haven't finished the humans (and I haven't started on the orcs!).

I get why people like painting but I don't think I like it. I find it hard to see what part of each miniature actually is (is that his boot or his pants? Is that skin or shirt? Armor, shirt or something I should have cut out all together?).

I definitely shouldn't have primed them all together, that's for sure. How much should you prime anyway? Can any of the grey of the miniature still show? Not that it matters for now, I'll just paint layers upon layers now, luckily not ruining much detail because they don't seem to have that much hehe.

End result will probably be very VERY sub par to what most of you do but I'll be glad if Humans and Orcs don't look like they belong to the same team (team Pitch Black).

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2014 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The trick to painting is thinning paints right down. I use an egg cup, stick silver foil inside so I dont need to wash it. Then when I use a paint I put a splodge or two of pain in the foil then add water until the point where - when i put some paint on my brush and wipe it on the side of the foil/egg cup then it runs back down in to the pool of paint at the bottom. Yes that thin....

Then when you come to paint dip the brush, wipe most of the paint off then go over every area of that colour, and repeat until you have a nice even coating. It sounds crazy but the wetter your paint and the thinner your layers the quicker it dries, because water dries quicker than paint and that layers are so thin they dry in seconds. So it can actually be very fast doing it this way.

I would continue the humans as you are and then have a play around with the orcs Smile

Working in this way is also very good for highlighting etc.. as the point where your brush leaves the miniature is the point where you have applied the thickest coating of paint, so you can use that to your advantage and let that be the lightest part of the mini, (where the sun hits). Further more when you have finished your coat you can add a lighter colour to the pain, so if using red, add some yellow and a little more water then continue going over the same layers and watch as they get lighter and lighter.

However this is how to do top end painting. There are lots of other ways to approach it.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2014 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ah that's the kind of painting which is very much out of my league.

If I water the paint to that level of thinness it doesn't stick at all. And I'm a slow painter so I never really have to wait for something to dry because either it's dry when I'm ready for the next round or I've run out of time (aka bedtime).