34 coaches online • Server time: 09:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Coaches it is up to you to improve the game finder.

And it is really easy.

1)If you see a match up you will not play...hit the red click.

2)If you see a coach who you will not play...hit the red click on all that guys teams.

3)If you want to play a match and not meta game the finder...click the green check on every match you are willing to play.

4)Dont be passive on the finder...if a coach hits the green check on one of your teams but you dont like that match up...then respond by hitting the red check on that match and hitting a green check back at him with another match up. Being passive on the gamefinder just bogs the entire process down.

5)IF you are a cherry picker well Iam sorry this does not play into your game plan. But do not fret, you will still find a few cherries to play against.

If you follow these 5 guidelines to approaching the GF it would make life so much better.

But alas I have this gut feeling that about half of you will just sit on the GF and be dead fish looking for cherries on the bottom of the ocean of the Gamefinder

Last edited by PainState on Sep 15, 2013 - 22:48; edited 1 time in total
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Overall good pointers.

For how long does a 'red click' last these days? Last time I really used gamefinder it was only like 2 minutes before all those teams where thrown back into my face which was kind of annoying.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

This would help, but would not stop me from trying to arrange matches the old-fashioned way, because it does not address my main concern. AH WANTSES MAH LOGO!

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is the ticks last about 5 minutes. So you get to play whack-a-mole until somebody accepts.

The finder needs a rethink; cue howls of derision for daring to criticize it. However I don't say that idly. In time I will propose my own thoughts on it.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

yes indeed. the main problem is coaches not being active with their choices. if someone offers, ANSWER them by clicking yes/no.... don't ignore.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
yes indeed. the main problem is coaches not being active with their choices. if someone offers, ANSWER them by clicking yes/no.... don't ignore.

100% agree with this. For me Iam a coach who lites up the entire gamefinder with green checks and no one does anything...just ignores me.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

One answer might be to eliminate the green highlighting entirely. If coaches weren't notified of "offers" it would force them to green-light matchups actively.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

No, that's a terrible solution.

That requires coaches to stare at the finder until they get a game.

I like to go on it, come back in 10 and see if anybody had the balls to offer a game. I have a life outside of fumbbl, and when it takes 1hour+ to get a game [which it often does], I do NOT want to be actively whack-a-moling the whole time just to get it.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2013 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
pythrr wrote:

No, that's a terrible solution.

That requires coaches to stare at the finder until they get a game.

I like to go on it, come back in 10 and see if anybody had the balls to offer a game. I have a life outside of fumbbl, and when it takes 1hour+ to get a game [which it often does], I do NOT want to be actively whack-a-moling the whole time just to get it.

So no one offers you a game because they just put their teams on and disappeared for 10 minutes. Wink

Do you not offer games at all? What happens to offers you got while you were away? Do they remain there or do they expire?

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
One answer might be to eliminate the green highlighting entirely. If coaches weren't notified of "offers" it would force them to green-light matchups actively.

Hehe that was how it worked initially and Christer changed it after some feedback/whining. Can't please all the people all the time. Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
So no one offers you a game because they just put their teams on and disappeared for 10 minutes. Wink

Do you not offer games at all? What happens to offers you got while you were away? Do they remain there or do they expire?

Perhaps if you used the game finder, you would know.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind. Last night, I had a game I'd greenlighted, and my opponent waited for quite a while before approving the matchup...it was reasonably favourable to me, and I can understand him waiting to see if there was anything more fair on offer.

At the end of the day, I always take leaving someone greenlighted as "I'm interested, but give me 5 minutes to see if anything better turns up"

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
koadah wrote:

I have used it once. Found a cool game vs Russo in [L]eague. The old gamefinder was much better for [L]eague it is true.

It would be really useful if showed which league a team is in and an indication of whether you have played them or not.

But still, sure it is going to take ages to get a game if a lot of people just put their teams in but not make offers.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
koadah wrote:

I have used it once. Found a cool game vs Russo in [L]eague.

IMPOSSIBLE!

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2013 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I always accept/deny games as I see them... the one exception is if there's a game that I'd be willing to take, but which I certainly wouldn't OFFER to the opponent (i.e. "hey, if you ask me, it's your funeral.")

And I haven't really struggled to find games in [R] or [S]... not sure about [L]. Maybe I'm just in the sweet spot where nobody worries they're cherrypicking me, nobody worries I'm cherrypicking them, and neither my talent with the game nor my roster builds warrant avoiding. But mostly it's just that I'll play anyone with most of my teams. (With some exceptions -- I won't play up with my ogres against non-stunty opponents coached by strong coaches, for example.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
 Jump to: