31 coaches online • Server time: 00:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2013 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Yeah always have 4 blitzers Smile

Gotcha, any thoughts on a second thrower? Build one as a block, dodge, nerves of steel?
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2013 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Never really had 2 throwers. I usually have a thrower build for passing and he often sits out on the defensive drives.

I guess having a 2nd thrower to play defense isn't that much bloat compared to another lineman at 20k less, and his rerolls can come in handy indeed if there's a loose ball.

Maybe take fend before nerves of steel, dunno. Definitely dodge on a double.

How many catchers do you run on defense?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Scaramanga

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2013 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Im a poor human coach but keep your lineman with wrestle its a good first line player. I dont like two thrower, the second is a bench-warmer. There is too much positionnals on team to put two throwers same time on field.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2013 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Two throwers can be fun, but are far from optimal - so a lot will depend on what is most important to you. Your current Thrower is clocking up 2 completions a game on average, and your Catchers are snagging the majority of your TD's. This leaves you with a rapidly developing passing game, but undeveloped in terms of firepower for when you need to hit something.

You don't need even more TV in a passing game, so a second thrower might be best considered a defensive drive only player. Consider Kick as the first skill rather than looking at any passing skills, then look at either the wrackle combo, or maybe a strip ball option for something a bit more left field. And finally if you're looking for some really bad advice, Leap would be an interesting double for a defensive only player.

Join the Human League Premiership!
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2013 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Scores update

Finally some action in the Premiership!
The Sons of Brutus are slowly improving their score, but a competitor stepped up. The Awesome Warriors are just in the starting part of their sprint, but with a nice 4/1/1 record. They will be able to take the field in enough the match to challenge the SoBs for the first title?

On the other hand, the Conference seemed an easy win for the Vault Tec Squad until a few days ago, but... The Mata Leon's coach decided to embrace the pain and entered a furious rebuild: like in the best HL tradition, the pain was rewarded and Mata Leon is just a few win away to gain the Conference lead.

It was a quite Season overall, time to heat it up for the last ten days?

First three Premiership positions:
1. Sons of Brutus - 42 points (7/5/4)
2. Vault Tec Squad - 28 points (5/2/4)
3. Awesome Warriors - 19 points (4/1/1)

First three Conference positions:
1. Vault Tec Squad - 55 points (12/3/1)
2. Mata Leon - 51 points (11/2/3)
3. Miragliano Gutter Cleaners - 48 points (10/2/4)

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2013 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

And we're in with a win! Not just any win, a 4-1 win!

Game: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3508369

Just the usual, Vamps eating their ow players, dice being crazy, the usual. Skip ahead to T6 and watch from there, it's utterly ridiculous. I can't even explain. So silly.

That being said, I've got a Rookie Blitzer with a double, a Lino with a second regular skill, and another Lino that picked up +MA. A good day for the humans.

Suggestions for the Rookie Blitzer double? Jump Up maybe?

Suggestions for the Block Lino regular skill? Tackle?
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2013 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

They are definitely not shying away from boosting their team value with fancy stuff those humies. Surprised

Dodge is always a good double, especially if you take it on all your doubles, give their tacklers too many targets(hopefully).

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2013 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd almost ignore the double and take mighty blow.

Kick would be my pick for the Lino, but you are running out of likely candidates for line duties. If you go tackle it might be time to cut Jeffy Bradley, and hire some fresh blood.

ignatzami

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2013 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
I'd almost ignore the double and take mighty blow.

Kick would be my pick for the Lino, but you are running out of likely candidates for line duties. If you go tackle it might be time to cut Jeffy Bradley, and hire some fresh blood.

Good thoughts, I hadn't considered dropping Bradley, I think I'll do that. I'm on the fence with the Blitzer, though Dodge will make him a little more reliable.
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2013 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my lack of line fodder has been rectified, lost a good man. Ran into a Block+MB spammed Lizzie team, and the results were not pretty.
CCSenor

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2013 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Moving house has left me with no internet for the last 2 weeks Sad , hopefully should be back online Monday and the Super Sleuths can finish their conf. sprint and maybe get a few prem. games in all been well. . . .
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2013 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I just drew the usual min-max Pact team, any suggestions for dealing with utter cheese like this: http://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=683075

Two perms in two turns, one RIP that I Apo'd one -ST on a two-skill Lino. I threw in the towel. Cowardly, sure, but teams like that make my blood boil. I know the game's not always "fun" but cheese like that ruins the game for everyone.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2013 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You need to win the positioning game. Minimise contact, screen with your rookie linemen, control where he goes an when. Leave as few blocks as possible and choose which of you guys he'll be able to hit.

Most importantly hope his dice are cold, as many using this sort of build fail to have a plan B.

Finally, if you suffer three unsaved deaths in the one game, post about it here and join the Trip Rip club.

ignatzami

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2013 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
You need to win the positioning game. Minimise contact, screen with your rookie linemen, control where he goes an when. Leave as few blocks as possible and choose which of you guys he'll be able to hit.

Most importantly hope his dice are cold, as many using this sort of build fail to have a plan B.

Finally, if you suffer three unsaved deaths in the one game, post about it here and join the Trip Rip club.

I just don't get it. I know this is off topic, but why play a team like that? Why deliberately game the system? It's not a challenge, it's not fun, it's stupid. If you want to rely on dice to win, or loose, then go play craps, at least them you might win some money.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2013 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

ignatzami wrote:
I just don't get it. I know this is off topic, but why play a team like that? Why deliberately game the system? It's not a challenge, it's not fun, it's stupid. If you want to rely on dice to win, or loose, then go play craps, at least them you might win some money.

In a sense we all do it to a degree. When we roll a double 5 for a skill and seek out the optimal use of it, or we cut an injured player we're trying to make the team stronger and hopefully more successful. The killstack, and teams of that nature that you are talking about are simply the logical progression of such thinking, taken to extremes.

I'm not a fan of such builds myself, mostly because I'm not facing anything new or interesting. It's been done to death and they are boring builds. These sorts of teams aren't going to go away however, so you need to be mentally prepared for potentially getting drawn against one whenever you activate in the Box.

In terms of how to deal with them on the pitch, have a look at OenarLod's Vault Tec Squad, or Qaz's Mata Leon. Check out their replays against this sort of team and see how they control pitch position and minimise blocks to reduce the damage done to their teams.
 Jump to: