39 coaches online • Server time: 14:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2016 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
thoralf wrote:
The Stag Problem pertains to all insurance problems: you share the risks with others for the benefit of everyone. Including yours.

This would work only if people weren't selfish, you live in a idealistic world and don't take into account reality.
People won't do things if they are not forced by laws and rules or encouraged by personal benefits and purposes.
The TV gap limit could be lower than 500, I proposed 500 TV because people would have whined for the impossibility of inducing Morg.
I'd rather something along 10-15 % of the lowest team's TV.

Who cares about getting less matches, if the alternative is playing a high TV mismatch, i.e. a non-match for definition?

It's a reality you create by refusing to even entertain the possibility of growing as a person. Are you afraid to answer "What if I try and fail?" People who can't get out of their own way don't get to lament realities they create.

We're not hunting stags. We don't starve if we don't get the stag that we're not hunting.

This is a game. There are other places to play it than the Box. People won't play it if they're not enjoying it.
Saying "foul, foul" is ridiculous.

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2016 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Saying "foul, foul" is ridiculous.

Yeah, seriously, you don't think someone wouldn't have thought of that one already?

Omg, thoralf's had an epiphany! Let's start fouling CPOMBers in the Box! The answer to all our problems! Very Happy

(actually no, the answer to all our problems is beer ..)

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2016 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:

unless.. it's 0:37 and the shops are closed.... Sad
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2016 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

unless.. it's 0:37 and the shops are closed.... Sad

Play a BB match and induce a Bloodweiser babe.
Razz
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Who cares about getting less matches ... ?

Christer cares. And everyone else who has ever posted about lowering the minimum coach limit because "not enough coaches". Myself included, since 2009. This is why (including the unfair matchupness you are focusing on) changes which reduce the number of matches over time won't be implemented. Maybe this is a tricky thing to wrap your head around, but Blackbox needs as many matches as possible to provide a competitive environment over time.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Christer cares. And everyone else who has ever posted about lowering the minimum coach limit because "not enough coaches". Myself included, since 2009. This is why (including the unfair matchupness you are focusing on) changes which reduce the number of matches over time won't be implemented. Maybe this is a tricky thing to wrap your head around, but Blackbox needs as many matches as possible to provide a competitive environment over time.

Playing vs teams abusing a broken killstack with 600 or more TV makes Box a competitive environment, yeah, nice logic.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

@Balle2000: I think there's a fairly strong argument that the likelihood of getting a bad matchup, plus the fact that certain coaches are deliberately trying to maximize the chances of getting a skewed matchup in their favour, is contributing to the lack of players, at least in the American timezone. It's a vicious cycle.

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Playing vs teams abusing a broken killstack with 600 or more TV makes Box a competitive environment, yeah, nice logic.

Get out with this self constructed delusion about competitive divisions. Nuffle help us.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

You can fling your sarcasm my way if you like, I don't care. But it's Christer you have to convince, not me.

JellyBelly wrote:
It's a vicious cycle.

Yes. I - an many others - have been watching variations thereof sneak itself into Blackbox since 2008. The answer is almost always: more coaches will make it better. Which is the focus everyone should have as a basis for all box discussions.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Yes. I - an many others - have been watching variations thereof sneak itself into Blackbox since 2008. The answer is almost always: more coaches will make it better. Which is the focus everyone should have as a basis for all box discussions.

Not enough coaches for that, especially with Ranked splitting the userbase.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it's all well and good saying: 'get more players and all the problems will be solved', but how do we do that? Especially in the American timezone.

Espionage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So the problem is Mono activation of high TV teams? Ban it, if you want to activate a team over 1700? TV, you must also activate one under that.

For every additional team over 1700, you must activate an additional team under that. If we really want, we could even make it no more than one of each race.

I've always liked compulsory diversity, can somebody remind me why it's a bad idea?

P.S after a year or so away, I must say the diversity in the box at moment is awesome.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 07:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Espionage wrote:
So the problem is Mono activation of high TV teams? Ban it, if you want to activate a team over 1700? TV, you must also activate one under that.

For every additional team over 1700, you must activate an additional team under that. If we really want, we could even make it no more than one of each race.

I've always liked compulsory diversity, can somebody remind me why it's a bad idea?

P.S after a year or so away, I must say the diversity in the box at moment is awesome.

A subset of coaches think being able to play one team is the most important aspect of match making for Box. One that is so important they aren't even willing to hear about giving an alternative a shot. Seriously, freedom trumps the possibility of better outcomes for more coaches. For a game, played for free on the internet.
Espionage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

really? That's it? Could one of those coaches please post below, even just a copy paste? Fully agree that you have the right to like what you like, but I'm surprised that anybody feels that strongly.

And if that's really the only reason, can we start the discussion of "if we changed, would we gain more coaches than we lose?"
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2016 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

so ... is this thread actually going anywhere? i last checked in around p, 39.

Jump to: