45 coaches online • Server time: 17:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is Warhammer still worth playing for fun?
Yes! - and I will tell you why...
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
No! - and I will tell you why...
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Don't know / can't comment.
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 33

pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, thought so - these things always come down in price and go up in quality.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I bought "Warhammer: The Island of Blood" for $50 at Coast Con last March. It includes rules, and a small skaven army & small high elf army of plastic minis.

It's basically an intro into WHFB.

The minis are plastic, but otherwise good. They paint up nicely.

My son Grey & his friends have enjoyed countless hours of playing. Because he has no income, he has downloaded the pdf files of all of the $50 army books.

We use minis from other games, and as previously noted elsewhere, peices of paper or poker chips work just fine to supplement as models you don't yet own.

We are still only about halfway done painting all of the minis. We have invested about $150 on paints thus far.

You can buy this set on Amazon.com or Ebay. If you're actually into playing, this is a good buy. I've played about 4 different games with him as High Elves, and it was a lot of fun.
polemarch

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

All my WHFB stuff is packed away in army boxes. Lets see, DOW, HE, WE, D, CW, TzD, Bst plus a Ancients army I use as Empire. Still have plenty of stuff to paint too, but each of these armies is a min of 3000pts some are double that.

Is WHFB fun to play. Yes, with the right people and if you don't care about the need for power escalation. Is it worth getting into? Well unless you have half a dozen mates or know a club nearby then I would say no. (also have to admit i loved 6th of 7th, am not that keen on the way 8th is going and would prefer a return to 3rd ed in some ways)

In my view wargaming is a hobby and irrespective of whether you play a GW game or any other system. Unless you are in it for all the elements (collecting, the history (fluff), painting, building terrain and playing then you are never going to get as much out of it as the hobby deserves. So you maybe a great painter, but with no-one to show it is not that satisfying, you might have a great army but no one to play against sux.

So my two bobs worth is to fine a club or playing group near to where you live. Hopefully you will like them (and they will like you) and you find what system/s they play fun and interesting. Then invest in that.

Then if the hobby gets you, then you are lost. Wink

the disclaimer… I have too much WHFB, a mate used to get me into new systems and then drop them just after i got hooked and collected extensive ranges (FOW, ACTA Babylon 5, 25mm Ancients). I have heaps of painted BB (why I don't know because most of my games are on Fumbbl) and now have a large Warma/Hordes collection because I fell in with a crowd who are big into it (not that I play that much). finally i also have a Saga starter set and lots of 1:3000 WWII ships. therefore you probably don't want to listen to me Rolling Eyes
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If we are talking about GW's core games then LOTR has the best ruleset of the big 3.

Sadly it is harder to get a game and the models have now risen to normal GW prices.

Regarding models, if you go for badly painted groups from a couple of editions ago then you can often get a decent deal on e-bay. With fantasy battle you really only need the front rank to look good so can use cheap plastics or mantic stuff for the rear ranks.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

a Nice trick for Undead armies (if you go that route), when painting skeltons just use all the bits to make up extra men, all you need is an arm and a head crawling out of a base and you have a skeleton. so one box of skeletons can really go a long long way if you are smart about it Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
a Nice trick for Undead armies (if you go that route), when painting skeltons just use all the bits to make up extra men, all you need is an arm and a head crawling out of a base and you have a skeleton. so one box of skeletons can really go a long long way if you are smart about it Smile

Same with zombies, I've seen quite a few people use the spare open hands and have them bursting from the earth to represent risen troops.

Also unit fillers can be a great way to save money and/or personalise your units.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all these comments guys - some very interesting posts, some of which struck a chord and thank you to those that really spent some time posting long comments too.

I just purchased 1 High Elf Mage, 10 High Elf Lothern Sea Guard and 5 Ellyrian Reavers off ebay for £12 +P&P... I will see how I enjoy painting those to start with - I will have to think about a colour scheme for the army... but I will end up buying High Elf Eltharion on Stormwing (the old style mounted Griffon) and High Elf Prince Imrik Dragonlord (the old style mounted Dragon) because they look like fantastic models... that's £56.50 just there from GW so I will have to search around from somewhere else for cheaper... so far I've come up empty handed - links anyone? At the end of the day though, the money isn't too much of a problem - but everyone likes to make a saving don't they! I will work on building an army even if I don't field them ever.

As for playing Warhammer I think I might have to roll up to the Aylesbury GW store sometime and get someone to show me the game and do a bit of research and see what clubs are around (thanks for the tip hairyscairyman). I'm competitive by nature, but if, as you all say, I find the right group then it might just be worth it for the fun alone. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out.

I suppose they will never bring out a PC game to copy Warhammer FB or 40K tabletop exactly as that would kill GW's models... but you have to wonder if the mass interest in the electronic version would actually create more interest in the real life version. For example is Blood Bowl in real life more popular because of sites like FUMBBL or Cyanide etc and therefore generate more model sales? Anyway, I digress, that's a whole different post... can't believe I'm hijacking my own post! Smile

Anyway, feel free to continue to discuss this. I haven't opened my Ultimate Paint set yet... my thoughts were that I could always ebay it for pretty much what I paid if I need to... I would be VERY interested to hear what paints people would recommend if the citadel ones are sooo poor? And if so, where can I get them from?

Enjoy your Christmas all!
OTS

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the quality of the citadel paints are quite nice. Mostly the people that downgrade everything GW are just haters.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

oneturnscore wrote:
I think the quality of the citadel paints are quite nice. Mostly the people that downgrade everything GW are just haters.

Agreed, the new GW pains are as good or better than every other range I have used. But they are more expensive for less paint. But the new GW blacks suck, bring back Chaos Black.

I don't think the mega paint set is a good deal as most of those pains you will hardly use. Whilst the key colours run out quickly. Far better to spend that money on just the key colours and washes.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2013 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, case closed on opinions on paints as spubbbba has spoken. Fortunately I still have a "new" unopened chaos black of the old big pot ones.

When I used to paint (around 1.5% max of the superb standard of spubbbba I might add!) I always wished for just another colour to do something different... so now with the paint set I have no excuse.

I have been looking on the internet at different high elf colour schemes. As I'm not painting to meet any particular army type colour scheme in any codex or whatever, I am completely free to do what I want.

I've been thinking about purple and white. However, I've also had an idea that might or might not work and have a harlequin like army, where every soldier has a different cloth colour while keeping the metal armour the same colour... or I might vary the armour colour per unit type. I don't know if this would work... or if I would be creating too much of a headache for myself and it just wouldn't look particularly good in any way. Advice please from you painters out there!

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2013 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep the scheme simple and consistent. I suggest you look at a colour wheel and choose a triad.
Personally I would avoid white as a starting or primary colour and stay well clear of yellow.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2013 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you have all the colours I think that a Teal (dark blue green) with Purple contrast and Ochre Brown leather work would look nice

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2014 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

To sort of complete the circle, I am now keeping a blog post on my progress here.

Feel free to comment Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2014 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Is it fun yes, is it worth the money noooooo. not by a long shot. The latest edition of the rules is my least favourite for a long time as well. It just relies on taking huge block units so who ever is willing to buy the most standard troops and paint them up generally has the best army now. Which is lame imo. I prefered it when heros and monsters were the way to go with support from troops for fodder.

Sadly these days 40k is the superior rule set of their core games.

As a cheap alternative though, you can easily play warhammer with squares of paper and a note pad though.

How far have the rules moved from 6 edition? Thats what I cut my teeth on and the last edition I played. It seemed like a good balance of heroes and rank n file contributing.
Valleysbowler

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2014 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

well congratulations on starting high elves and welcome to the world of warhammer! :p
i havnt played much fantasy in the last few years since getting married and having 2 kids, but i was an avid fantasy and 40k player for 6 years.
I still have my armies for warriors of chaos, beastmen, daemons, vampires, and used to have armies for empire, high elves, and brettonia.
As a starting point 1000pt games are good to get into but most people i know who play these days when i get a chance play stick to 2500 pt games coz they like having 625pts for big lords or rare choices, though it means you need 625pts of core troops.
I disagree with everyone needing massive armies to play, especially with your high elves sea guard are good and expensive troops.
If you find pricing an issue it all depends on how anal the people you play with are, 40k ive found is much harder to find a cheap alternative for models because of WYSIWYG rule. But in fantasy aslong as you can clearly see the model is a hero/lord you can give him whatever equipment you want no matter what he is actually holding, i used to use milita models for my empire captains, i remember once taking a guy with 2 hand weapons, cutting one of the weapons off and repositioning his hand under the first, then turning the blade on his axe around and sticking a halberd blade on the front to make it look like a cool 2handed axe and painted him in good colours straying away from browns to make him stand out and look important, 50p captain 5 mins of work job done.
Converting plastic models is the way forward, my 2 beastmen ghorgons are just giant conversions. Obviously some models are more expensive and cant be easily converted form other models (such as bolt throwers) but my advice is build your army slowly over a few weeks and try and get your friends to do the same, rather than jumping from 1000 to 2500 try and play 1000 for a few weeks then when everyone can afford to buy another unit or 2 jump it up to 12-1500, then another couple hundred at a time.
Im not a massive fan of te current ruleset, not for any major rules reason but for how the new books have killed equipment originality, if you look at some of the older book(i think HE book is still last ed though not sure) then they have 2-3pages of magic equipment then can take plus all the items in the rulebook, newer books have only 1 item per category of magic items, i havnt played vampires since the release of the newest army book, because i find i have more freedom with my beastmen but thats just me.
If you ever wanna talk warhammer or ask anything il be happy to talk to you =]
 Jump to: