47 coaches online • Server time: 00:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you play in the [AS] League?
Yes!
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 26

The_Murker

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Would you play in the ‘Allies for Stuntys’ League?

All of this talk about making the Black Box division better had me pretty excited, and I hope that trial period with the two new rules does still come to fruition, but it has got me wondering..

The Black Box has some neat meta groups to try and wrestle some enjoyment out of an uber-bashy and repetitive division. Could we not do the same thing but even better in the Ranked division? Here is my proposal to encourage more diversity and camaraderie in the Ranked division, while at the same time allowing people to still build up a team rather easily for tournament play. The meta group would survive on a gentlemen’s agreement to adhere to the rules laid out below. With enough people partaking in the fun, enjoyable and/or lucrative games in Ranked should be easy to come by.

1) All teams created for the Allies for Stunty [AS] League MUST have team names that BEGIN with [AS] so they are easily identifiable on gamefinder, and on match reports.

2) An [AS] team many only play other [AS] teams, unless it is partaking in a Major FUMBBL tournament.

3) Each coach in the League MUST create at least one [AS] Halfling or [AS] Goblin team.

4) Each coach in the League MUST also create at least one team from the following list of ‘forgotten’ races: Vampire, Slann, Elf, Underworld, or Ogre.

5) No Chaos teams are allowed in the [AS] league. No exceptions. (No Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, or Chaos Pact)

6) You may have as many other [AS] teams as you like, but only 1 of each race.

7) In Gamefinder, (here is the key) you are only ever allowed to activate your [AS] team with the lowest number of games played. If two or more are the same, activate the lowest ones.

So rule number 7 means that players who understand the system will have a group of teams, all with about the same number of games played, with some forced diversity in their bunch.

Everyone throws up some halflings or gobos for other league members to bash on, and makes Ranked a more interesting place by playing some teams seldom used for other than wicked cherry picking.

If the poll gets enough interest, I will create a group and flesh out the details, including how we might police the league, how it could get ruined, be gamed, etc.

But at first glance, I think the concept is solid and I’d like to give it a try. I’ll entertain any suggestions and feedback here. Thanks for all helpful comments.

I have A LOT of FUMBBL dice to give away, so if this idea takes off there will defiantly be prizes for me to mail out to the most impressive or active players in each of the 3 team catagories listed above. (Stunty, Forgotten, and ‘Tournament’ teams)

Here’s to more diversity and less cherry-picking on FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be happy to play Flings and Underworld Smile
sonrises

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Mmmmmm...why not, sounds nice Wink
CroixFer

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea. You should also speak with RRR admin so to get an all AS RRR Razz

Only thing is, why no chaos? First of all, you MUST have other teams,so it is still fair to have some bash power (which you might need for majors) and, on the other hand, you can activate but you might not get a single game for your chaos bashers (except from other chaos bashers, for example), or is there any rule that make the game unavoidable? And coming to that. Will it not be similar "cherry picking" but within AS meta group?
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

In Ranked you cannot create such a group because it is against the open intention of the division. At least that has been the case for any previous attempts on such a group.

To make sure, run this by the admins first.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 17:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought, but I think it's against site rules to create groups like this in ranked that play each other exclusively.

Edit: ninja'd
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, "only play each other" would also be lame, it wouldn't be a metagroup but more of a closed group! By the way, there already is a pretty cool Ranked metagroup which is called E.L.F. Wink
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand the concern behind the 'only play each other' aspect. But it would NOT be a closed group. Anyone can partake. Nothing to join. It is a naming convention for your teams and a gentlemens agreement to abide by the rules of the Leahgue.

It is a 'highly visible' indicator that this coach has agreed to play many types of teams in Ranked, and would like to play certain teams against other coaches who have made the same commitment.

The 'league' could not exist without A LOT of members, which would allow the league to avoid running afoul of the 'only playing certain coaches' rule. Admin will be consulted.

All coaches can still have their stand-alone ranked teams and play how they chose with those teams. Nothing would be lost from what stands now. Ranked would gain games. (and hopefully popularity)

Why no chaos? Because Black Box has all of that ClawPOMB nonsense. And so does Ranked as it stands now. I would like to focus my time and effort on a method to strengthen the FUMBBL community that does not involve CLAWPOMB in any way.

To simply forbid the combo would add extra book-keeping. Easier to say no chaos.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I want to get involved in this debate; however to save you time, there's no chance you being allowed to do this in ranked, as CJ (another ex admin has said). Closed groups = League.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven, Underworld, Norse and Necro can all have CPOMB nonsense. Just saying Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 18:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I understand the concern behind the 'only play each other' aspect. But it would NOT be a closed group. Anyone can partake. Nothing to join. It is a naming convention for your teams and a gentlemens agreement to abide by the rules of the Leahgue.

It is a 'highly visible' indicator that this coach has agreed to play many types of teams in Ranked, and would like to play certain teams against other coaches who have made the same commitment.

The 'league' could not exist without A LOT of members, which would allow the league to avoid running afoul of the 'only playing certain coaches' rule. Admin will be consulted.

All coaches can still have their stand-alone ranked teams and play how they chose with those teams. Nothing would be lost from what stands now. Ranked would gain games. (and hopefully popularity)

Why no chaos? Because Black Box has all of that ClawPOMB nonsense. And so does Ranked as it stands now. I would like to focus my time and effort on a method to strengthen the FUMBBL community that does not involve CLAWPOMB in any way.

To simply forbid the combo would add extra book-keeping. Easier to say no chaos.

The issue wouldn't be the group being 'closed' because anyone can join, it's just to do with the teams 'only playing each other'. Metagroups are fine, but groups that exclusively inter-play aren't. The whole thing without the 'Teams only platy each other' rule would be fine, I think.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

@ harvestmouse

The poll is over a period of two weeks. I think if over 50 coaches answer 'yes' in that time than it would be worth it to request permission from Christer to continue.

The group would not be 'closed' and it would not be allowing coaches to do anything they can't already do. And it dosn't stop anything a coach can do either. In it's simplest form, it is just a naming convention that says 'hey, I play all kinds of teams in Ranked. If you do to then let's play!'

All Ranked division rules would still apply. If in the next two weeks Christer reads this thread and knows immediatly that he would not allow it, I hope he would lock the thread immediatly, to save everyone the trouble.

But in the meantime, if people would refrain from saying 'it isn't allowed' I'd appreciate it. I am aware that Ranked prevents the same coaches from playing each other over and over.

However, if someone can think of WHY it should not be allowed, and give a specific example, I'd really like that too. Perhaps there is something I haven't considered.

Thanks for any more feedback. Cheers.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to bear in mind though, not everyone who answers yes will actually make a team so you cant use that as a guage of how many people will be in the group.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

C's made it very clear over the years that R is not the place for such groups (meta, closed, or otherwise).

Off to L you go, and enjoy!

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:

The poll is over a period of two weeks. I think if over 50 coaches answer 'yes' in that time than it would be worth it to request permission from Christer to continue.

The group would not be 'closed' and it would not be allowing coaches to do anything they can't already do. And it dosn't stop anything a coach can do either. In it's simplest form, it is just a naming convention that says 'hey, I play all kinds of teams in Ranked. If you do to then let's play!'

All Ranked division rules would still apply. If in the next two weeks Christer reads this thread and knows immediatly that he would not allow it, I hope he would lock the thread immediatly, to save everyone the trouble.

These are the same arguments that have been put forward every single time someone had a similar idea. Believe me it won't happen, no matter how many people will click "yes" on this poll.

I'm sorry but anything on this topic will be a waste of your time. The only place you can try to get it going would be League.

Jump to: