29 coaches online • Server time: 10:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you play in the [AS] League?
Yes!
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 26

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be permissible if this group were structured such that its members were permitted to play anybody? Like, could you make a "scavenger hunt" league of teams who play any and all comers trying to reach some objective, like beating the grid or accumulating wins against such and such a cumulative TV differential or something?

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

No. Any group that dictates who you play is not allowed.

The bottom line here, is 'Why can't this group be made in League?' League was made for this, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of it? It gives you all the necessary tools to keep tables and stats.

This sort of group is totally against the Premise of Ranked. Essentially, everybody should have the same options when looking for a game in ranked. A group totally goes against this. It simply isn't allowed or wanted in this division. Ranked should be as open and transparent as possible.

This is my last on the subject. It's not my business anymore and I have no wish to be the bearer of bad tidings, neither am I interested in debating rules that are out of all our control.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

How about if you are a member of the group simply have to look for a game with your least played non-chaos team. You play against anyone you want in ranked. Figure out whatever scoring system you like.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the nay-sayers are missing part of the point.

It's just a way of naming some of your ranked teams. Teams that only want to play against other kinds of coaches. You can still have all kinds of ranked teams.

I respect anyone who wants to play gobos in Ranked. So I'd like to see who those guys are... easily.

I'd also like to use goblins against some cool coaches who I respect for playing alot of different kinds of teams. So I'd offer them games. It's just picking and choosing using different criteria.

No rules would be broken.

I can refuse to play anyone if I want to. I can play anyone I want to. That is what Ranked is about.

The onus would be on the coachs considering a match between [AS] teams to ensure the other coach is using his [AS] team with the lowest games played. Simples.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
It's just a way of naming team. Teams that only want to play against other kinds of coaches.

^^^^

This right here is the problem. Yes, in R you can refuse any game you want and play whoever you choose but to say we will not play bash teams (who aren't the problem in R) is as close as an IG agreement as you can get without actually making one.

The problem with R is picking, and this group does not solve that problem, if anything it promotes it.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

So, to be clear you can use the finder for L teams, right? Its just not done much.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Correct

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Would it be permissible if this group were structured such that its members were permitted to play anybody? Like, could you make a "scavenger hunt" league of teams who play any and all comers trying to reach some objective, like beating the grid or accumulating wins against such and such a cumulative TV differential or something?

In the past this has been allowed. ELF accomplishes this. Sort of a way of saying "you can play anyone, but there are incentives to playing ____".

__Synn
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Or, like, a "Greenfield Greenlight Guild" of Halfling teams that automatically greenlight all matches +100k or more. It doesn't restrict who you can play against in any way you yourself wouldn't be free to do: if you announced this (or any) picking strategy in your bio and stubbornly held to it on Gamefinder, nobody would bat an eyelash (Public Shame, Legendary Cherries, Angry Newscasters Skull Squads, any number of grid-fillers, etc). I can totally see the reason for the prohibition on "closed leagues" in Ranked, but if the team is open to play anybody and the dictates of the league conform to the spirit of Ranked, what's the problem?

Note that I'm not advocating OP's suggestion: any group structured around not playing anyone without a certain kind of name essentially amounts to a closed league, and I totally see why that's not allowed.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would ban any coach creating a [AS] team before they could use it... Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I think the nay-sayers are missing part of the point.

I think that you are missing the point. You are trying to create a league in Ranked. That is not allowed.

If you want a league create it in [L]eague.

If you want a meta group teams must be free to play teams who are NOT part of the meta group.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

He does not need ranked, he just needs the finder mechanic and enough teams/players so you can find a game whenever you want (disregarding majors).
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2013 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If you want a meta group teams must be free to play teams who are NOT part of the meta group.
That's what I was trying to get to. Thanks. So OP could do this in League as designed, but it would have to be large to be effective, or could instead create or join a Ranked metagroup that encourages the kind of play he's talking about without unduly restricting the team's ability to play any opponent. Like one that tracked your record with and against T2-3 teams or something.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2013 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
koadah wrote:
That's what I was trying to get to. Thanks. So OP could do this in League as designed, but it would have to be large to be effective, or could instead create or join a Ranked metagroup that encourages the kind of play he's talking about without unduly restricting the team's ability to play any opponent. Like one that tracked your record with and against T2-3 teams or something.

IMO he just needs to drop rule 2.

Or he could go ARR! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2013 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of people seem to 'totally get' why this isn't allowed, but no one yet has explained why. How it could run contrary to the divisions princilpe of allowing people to chose their opponents.

How is this detramental to the Ranked division? I'm not currently asking If it IS allowed. I'm asking why YOU think it should not be allowed. Anyone..

Jump to: