42 coaches online • Server time: 12:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
No no, I meant in terms of cross searching for opponents in ranked. I havent created ranked teams yet and as such I am as ignorant as a newborn babe on how the gamefinder works. But I was curious on getting my toes wet in ranked.
I play Ranked a lot and have a good ol' time. I'm not a true Legend, but I'm just good enough that I float up there from time to time, and I can give absolutely anyone a nasty fight. I'm slow as molasses, and though I'm not a ClawPOMB fiend I average 53 blocks a game and I foul gratuitously. Everybody who plays Ranked at my hours knows all of this. Still, I have no problems finding games with bash teams running on win streaks. There are pickers, there are standoffs, but playing late night Pacific time I have no more than about 3% games against any one coach, I usually get a game within 10 minutes, I encounter only my fair share of rookies, and I really don't give a damn about the pickers who dodge me. Here's how I do it.

1) I make fun teams with 450x390 logos (even though they won't show Confused) and nifty themes.

2) I offer only the team I want to play initially.
2a) If that brings up hardly nothin', then go apply a bunch of teams at different ranges.

3) I greenlight anything that looks Grrrreat! Like if there's a Super Star coach with a perfectly sporting matchup, or something that will help me fill my grid.
3a) I look at all the teams, one at a time and greenlight anything that doesn't look asinine (either way, I don't greenlight cherry mismatches, though I do greenlight rookie coaches, especially if the matchup favors them slightly).
3b) I redlight anything I won't play. I might leave a borderline match alone.
3c) I instantly take or redlight any match I have considered and not touched if that coach greenlights me.

4) I maintain a large list of "friends" so I know who's on, so I know who I can track down and maybe find a game against. I seldom go hunting on IRC, but that works too.
4a) I play in NA leagues, that helps build your rolodex really fast.
4b) I enter RRRs and, more recently, Scheduled SMACKs. That draws spectators which helps get matches later.

5) Play teams people want to play against.
5a) Anything non-Chaotic works.
5b) Chaotic stuff works too unless you go insane mega full-Brasky. That also works, but you'll only draw elves and play SMACKs.
5c) If I'm on a bash kick with some killer Undead team or something, I'll run a second team that's also okay at the same TV. I'll greenlight with the bashers, and it's surprising who will greenlight the other team in response: I wait 30 seconds before taking it so I can see if they just go "what the heck?" and take the bash team.
5d) It's nice to have two kinds of gimmick teams. One that looks silly but is really competitive at TV (I have all-former-Journeymen Humans, say), and one that really is silly. Use the former for getting games, and the latter for keeping your TV down or playing rookies.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

As for cross-searching for opponents, this list is sortable by race, division, and # games played. Does that help?

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

What you been doing for 7 years CharlatanXIV?

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I always feel like I can't get matches on Ranked when in reality the number of times I've ended up without a match, and the average time spent to get a match, is probably about equal for Ranked and Box. But I don't really like the meta gaming aspect of Ranked matchmaking, and I have an unreasonably short patience when it comes to sitting on gamefinder, checking team after team, greenlighting many and not getting responses right away.

Yeah I know, Box matchmaking has a metagaming aspect, too, but, dude, just look at JackassRampant's post there. Wink
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

My big turn-off with Ranked is that Legendary Ranked coaches put me off repeatedly... After I gave up so many cherry games to them... So when I asked why, I was told there was no incentive for them to ever accept a game not in their favor...

Basically, I feel this is the team-building-for-tourneys-league...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, please stop with the old nonsense and/or piffle. This is a new coach asking questions - the answers are not just rolling out the usual recycled claptrap from the other thread. He can make his own mind up without pre-existing prejudices or silly, waffling instruction manuals.

Let's keep it helpful, or I'll lock it.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Bill, my advice is pretty simple. Ignore them. Greenlight everybody, and the pickers can have their fun their way while you play good fun matches against the rowdy, nooby, and happy-go-lucky. That and play tournaments.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
As for cross-searching for opponents, this list is sortable by race, division, and # games played. Does that help?

My Hero! Very Happy

I really want to play games against good people because how else will I learn? But on the other hand, I'd like to play some games against people who are as proficient as I am in the Box and see how that translates in Ranked.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have non-bashy teams, most rankers will play you.
CharlatanXIV

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, thx a lot everyone! That forum is just great!
Dan-Da-Man

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Right, please stop with the old nonsense and/or piffle. This is a new coach asking questions - the answers are not just rolling out the usual recycled claptrap from the other thread. He can make his own mind up without pre-existing prejudices or silly, waffling instruction manuals.

Let's keep it helpful, or I'll lock it.

New coach? been on the site since 2007

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Without playing a game until this week, apparently. So new.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I really want to play games against good people because how else will I learn? But on the other hand, I'd like to play some games against people who are as proficient as I am in the Box and see how that translates in Ranked.
You might try just playing all and sundry and seeing how it goes. And entering tournaments. Minor tournaments like RRR are an important part of Ranked culture. I'd recommend submitting one or two of your teams to RRR at a time.