30 coaches online • Server time: 11:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KhorneliusPraxx

Post 20 Posted: Jan 21, 2014 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The last Smack Tournament was in May of 2013?!

Shocked

I have thought long and hard about this because I really miss the Smack Tournaments. With the new GAME FINDER™, there isn't as much need to join the chat so I think that has something to do with it. I have tried to get one started many times in the last year and we never seem to get more than 5 or 6 coaches before we all end up having to abort the attempt.

Many of you have heard my rants about Black Box and the fact that I never thought it should be separate division but instead an option in the finder. That is another topic and not to be addressed here but I bring it up because while discussing that topic with a friend, and lamenting the fact the death of the once great Smack tournaments...BAM!...it struck me...how to bring back the glorious Smacks.

ADD A SMACK TOURNAMENT OPTION TO THE GAME FINDER!

When you pick a team to put on the finder, it should pop up as normal, showing all the teams you can legally play, but also there could be a separate section in the finder that shows how many teams have agreed to join a Smack tournament at every level, Rookie, Experienced, Veteran, Pro, Elite, or Legend.

If you click to join your team to a Smack, the rules should then POP UP to make you read and click that you understand.

Then, as in Black Box, you will sit and wait. Not for every 15 minutes but for there to be 8 teams agreed to the tournament.

If it is taking too long or you change you mind, you could then just disconnect or select one of the regular one-off ranked matches.

If the number of teams for a Smack hits 8, the tournament could start automatically without having to get an Admin to start it.

Any thoughts Question

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2014 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, would be even better if it could include both R and B teams...

Alas, "Scheduled Smacks" seem to be the only option.

__Synn
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds great!

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have tons of ideas...but sadly no programming skills, so i can't do anything to help the site. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a good idea Smile.
Topper

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeh that would be a great idea.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

that would mean the site would have to dedicate a staff member to start the tourney around the clock, wouldn't it?

chimp2010

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a programming rookie too but I'm sure there's a way that it could be automated to start a Smack if enough teams apply at the same time.

Could be similar to Box... Every half an hour a program checks teams that have 'activated' for a Smack and sorts them into a tourney?

I think it would be a major programming task so I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

It is a great idea though!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey look, it's the same idea as that handsome fellow put forth in that other thread.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Hey look, it's the same idea as that handsome fellow put forth in that other thread.

Its a good idea so whats your problem with the OP? Dont see you posting ideas to try and improve the site.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

So...

given that official tournaments require a tourney administrator of some sort, and given that Smacks are instant tournaments, excluding the final round...

I assume you'll be volunteering to be on-site 24/7 to make sure that these tournaments have an administrator to ensure the tourney flows smoothly?

--j

ImageImage
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Dan-Da-Man wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Its a good idea so whats your problem with the OP? Dont see you posting ideas to try and improve the site.

I already suggested a similar idea. Why don't you do something helpful yourself?

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
So...

given that official tournaments require a tourney administrator of some sort, and given that Smacks are instant tournaments, excluding the final round...

I assume you'll be volunteering to be on-site 24/7 to make sure that these tournaments have an administrator to ensure the tourney flows smoothly?

--j

That is why I said that the official rules should pop up for the entrants to read and agree to. Then if someone doesn't complete the two games in a row, they could be banned from further smacks and a living person doesn't have to say, "Do you agree to the rules?", every time.

...and Mr. Foulscumm, if you had the same idea, great. I'm not sure why you didn't just post, "I suggest the same idea earlier but I am glad you agree with me." instead of being hateful.
Maybe this is a case of 'great minds think alike.'

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, that is exactly how I interpreted his statement KP. =)

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

I'm glad you think that way of my Fouly. Sadly, I'm currently taken, but when she leaves me I will happily reevaluate my situation - but no promises!

Jump to: