55 coaches online • Server time: 19:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I think can imagine it. I've set up tournaments and this would be with some random people and people. You probably have to be available 2-3 hours while the first matches are played and you have to wait some time to get it going - only to realize that a coach dropped out or a team is scheduled elsewhere or is in a wrong TW class or whatever... Keeps one at least half buys a whole evening, I guess. And since you have to deal with people, conflicts may rise about... well, something.

Is that somewhat fitting?

My initial though just was: "Yes, automated SMACKS would be cool." Not something I ask for, not something I looked further into (to figure out pros and cons), just an idea I could second. Smile

I can only say: Thanks, FUMBBL staff, for all the great voluntary work you do for the community of/and this site!

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

would be nice to see more insta-smacks around, i imagine this is alot of work. i would do what little i can to help
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
Hmm, I think can imagine it. I've set up tournaments and this would be with some random people and people. You probably have to be available 2-3 hours while the first matches are played and you have to wait some time to get it going - only to realize that a coach dropped out or a team is scheduled elsewhere or is in a wrong TW class or whatever... Keeps one at least half buys a whole evening, I guess. And since you have to deal with people, conflicts may rise about... well, something.

Is that somewhat fitting?

My initial though just was: "Yes, automated SMACKS would be cool." Not something I ask for, not something I looked further into (to figure out pros and cons), just an idea I could second. Smile

I can only say: Thanks, FUMBBL staff, for all the great voluntary work you do for the community of/and this site!

don't forget the part where you have to hunt down an admin to deal with any bracket manipulation in the event of things going sour, for people running brackets who do not have any site authority...but that can be remedied by giving that particular person admin rights over the smack group...

but then you have to make sure that that particular person is available to manage things, etc etc etc...

not as simple as some people on this thread make it out to be...

with that being said, please don't take me the wrong way...as a tournament administrator, i'm not against smacks in the slightest...hell i've been running scheduled smacks for years, and look forward to it every week...

i just see this thread come up semi-regularly, and every time it comes with the thought of "Oh this is easy! why don't we have these again?"...and every time it's brought up by people who have never been on the back end of things, and had to manage tournaments as a whole, and how much work goes into the process...not to mention, never taking into account the possible flaws in their particular plan...

my personal opinion is that while smacks are a fun format, i don't think they're suited to this environment, simply due to the human management requirement...but i'd be all ears if someone could come up with a legitimate plan that not only considers the smack aspect, but the administration aspect as well...

so far, i have yet to see one...

--j

ImageImage
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

my personal opinion is that while smacks are a fun format, i don't think they're suited to this environment, simply due to the human management requirement...but i'd be all ears if someone could come up with a legitimate plan that not only considers the smack aspect, but the administration aspect as well...

The original post talking about using gamefinder as a method of enabling SMACKs did cover a good portion of the human management. It does require a technological solution, which means Christer has to deem it worthy of his time, but it's not like people have completely ignored this massive obstacle.

There is a secondary reason that the technology solution matters... no one uses chat anymore.

__Synn
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

BattleLore wrote:
What happens to coaches who put a team in and "forgot" about it. In an instant smack all coaches have to commit before the smack is started to see if all are still available.

8 coaches a the same level have applied.
POP UP: 8 coaches have agreed to start this Smack. Do you still agree to the rules and are you ready to begin now?
If all 8 select yes, tourney starts. If even one person selects NO then they are dropped off and the others continue to wait for an 8th.

BattleLore wrote:
And as there has to be some programming, how many coaches will benefit from it. Is it worth to implement it and test it for well let's say 20 coaches...

If made this user friendly, you don't think the Smack tournaments would be happening ALL THE TIME? Seriously, I think there would be even more than before.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
[There is a secondary reason that the technology solution matters... no one uses chat anymore.

DITTO!
the new GameFinder is great but the unintended side effect was that it made the chat unnecessary. By doing so, it obliterated the Smack Tournaments. At this point, if nothing is done to revive them, you might as well just pull the group down because it will never be used again.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

As for the need for admins...

1) The new client works really well. Do people even have technical issues anymore? Percentage-wise, how much have these technical issues declined since switching to the new client?
2) If everyone reads and signs off on the rules right as it begins, (exactly the same as everyone saying the agree on the chat to an admin) what is the issue? If a coach does not follow through on his end of the agreement...and there are not admins to fix it right away, just ban him from ever joining again and fix it later. Everybody gets to move on knowing that particular coach will never ruin their lives again.

As for me not helping on the technical side, I am not a programmer. I admitted this. I am not demanding anything of others. This was merely a suggestion. I have many ideas that I think would make this a better place but they are just my opinion. I know I have no power and not making suggestions in an attempt to burden others. If nobody cares about Smack Tournaments then just ignore this and do nothing. I was just saying that I LOVED them and would like to see them return.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1) tourney administrators don't handle technical questions, those are forwarded to site staff...most bracket problems(though they are extremely few and far between) aren't fixable by tourney staff...

2) so what happens if one coach unknowingly exploits a bug, the other coach goes mental, and the game ends up dropping?...

under the old rules, the problem would get moderated on the spot, and dealt with, so the tournament would not get held up...

under this proposed system, let's say, for argument's sake, the game gets dropped, someone gets pouty, and logs off...

then what?

there's no administrator to moderate the problem...the match isn't finished, the tournament cannot proceed to conclusion, 6 other coaches are severely inconvenienced...

ok, so let's say a ticket gets filed?...then we have to deal with ticket resolution, which, while we keep up with tickets on a reasonable basis, we still need to interact with people involved in a ticket dispute, so if someone isn't available to give their side of the story, the ticket gets held up...

long story short, it's not as simple as you make it out to be...

a simple checkbox will not resolve the potential issues that could come up...will it take care of concessions?...sure...will it take care of people who don't show up?...dependent on how it gets handled, plausibly...

will it handle the host of problems that come up outside of that(and believe me, there are more than you think there are)...no, not in the slightest...

this is why every tournament has an administrator...this is also why the 1-week deadlines are so beneficial, because it gives the tourney admin time to get a resolution put in place, and doesn't require us to monitor the system non-stop for any issues...

--j

ImageImage
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2014 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I would imagine that if you broke this idea up into manageable chunks, there might be a little more light at the end of the tunnel.

The first step(s) have already been taken through various threads, blogs and even IRC chat discussions that demonstrate at least some need or want for these 'insta-smacks'

The next step, IMHO, is to work on getting at least one day and even a 4 hour window where anybody who is interested, meets up.

There would need to be a decent and enticing approach to this, to get the word out.

Once there are even quick start smack games even happening, it would give a valid reason for the site to accommodate these smacks.

Key Action items:

What day(s) are people able to set aside as 'quick-start smack days'?
**thoughts**
Wednesdays after the scheduled smacks are drawn, so that teams that didn't make it into a scheduled smack, but wanted to play, can quick smack instead?

What are the best ways to promote these smacks?
**thoughts**
-Word of mouth has always been one of the best forms of advertising.
-Blogs. Having everybody and just anybody blog won't have as much success as setting aside 2-4 coaches. Whenever you find someone interested, having an agreed upon sourse of reference will add structure and consistancy.
-Forum Thread (weekly), similar to when a major is about to start. People can, weekly, express interest for the upcoming week, include match reports highlighting the fun of participating in the previous smack and most importantly, is centered around BUILDING fluff, as these smacks are non-existent, we have to start somewhere.

That's about all I have to offer for now.

BN: I am limited in my abilities as far as BB code and being computer savvy but I can talk with the best of them, for the fluff!!!

Jump to: