11 coaches online • Server time: 05:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Relezite wrote:
In my opinion, based on the resources he had, it was tantamount to declaring the game lost. Which it might well have been. He just had no playmakers with his WDs.

I agree.

However, I think the action can be justified. The 1st goal of an NBFL season (for most teams) should be to reach the playoffs. To do that you can afford to lose a game here and there. What you can't (usually afford) is to lose your best players early in the season. I know this all too well based of off the disaster Season10 turned into for NA.

Once you make the playoffs, or reach the point where you need late season Ws to make them, the decision process for bringing back important BH players (or MNGs) changes.

And let's not lose sight of the fact that NA is probably the scariest team for AV7 dodge teams to face at the moment, because of having 6x Blackle/MB, as well as 3 DP hobbers, and enough guard to make their blocks tricky. If he was playing another elf side, or maybe even one of those new Nurgle who don't have the MB/Tackle built up yet there is a stronger argument for bringing back your playmaker.

The argument for bringing him back in that game was that he was the 1st CAS of the game, and to that point NA had really had poor block dice, mostly pushes. He still would have had his 2nd apo left as well. And a win or draw is a win or draw no matter if it comes early or late in the season.

Yet, already having 10points through 2 games, while no other AFCE teams had more, and knowing that there were 15 (14?) more turns of NA blitzes coming probably shifted the decision in his mind to just take what was coming and hopefully have a healthier team for next week. He's already played the 2 killiest teams in the group with the JETZ and NA (apologies to Miami, but they aren't there yet, big guys be damned Smile ), so just surviving those games without losing anyone important, and coming through with 7 points would probably have been considered a win at the start of the season.

It's different than in a KO format for sure, and while he ceded control of the division to NA for the moment, NA still has to play the JETZ, and the JETZ are the worst matchup for NA at the moment with all the extra ST and 4x clawMB running around.

I don't play woodies enough anymore to claim to make a better decision, I can see the argument both ways though. If the BH had come later, and no apos had been used it would have been more tempting to use one. As it came early (turn 3?) there was more of a question to be had.

edit: Pitt is probably as scary, but they are at a higher TV so more inducements available against them.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 3 (2/16)
At Least Somebody Caught It!
Cinncinatti defeats Baltimore (3-0)

Baltimore wins the coin toss and elects to receive. Cinni lines up in a center-E with forward warriors. They are bringing a wizard and an Igor to the match. Baltimore sets up 9 on the line, aiming for a north side run. A high kick helps them secure the ball and they break up the line while trying to push blocks north. The Cinni kicker gets a lucky block on a black orc, putting him out for the game and setting bad pace for Baltimore. The teams seems content to rumble while the ball stays in the back field, but this strategy is going Cinni's way as another orc is KO'd. A rookie pestigor breaks free of the fight and charges the thrower. Baltimore finally manages to take a rotter off the field but loses the ball to an interception on an attempted long bomb for the score. The ball is run north, handed over, then tossed down field and dropped right about where it was before the pass was attempted. Yamon goes back to retrieve the ball, but trips on snake eyes, stunning himself and all but assuring the defensive touchdown for Cinni. The slugfest in the center continues for the rest of the half, and when Yamon tries to mark the ball, he is surfed for his trouble. On the last turn, Cinni puts Ray Lewis out for 2 games. 1-0 Cinni

Cinni gets 2/2 for KO rolls, Balitmore gets 0/3 but is still fielding 11. They field a wide center defense with a deep back. Cinni plays 5 on the line with lots of receivers. Their opening drive looks weak, until the troll is killed on a foul, with no regen. Baltimore's return foul only gets the player ejected. Rotters vs black orcs continues to be a bad match up this week, as another one goes out for two games, this time with a fractured skull. Andy Dalton runs the ball north and passes it off to a rookie pestigor. Cinni slaps Baltimore around one more turn, KO'ing another player, then runs it in. 2-0 Cinni

Depression desends on Baltimore as they go 0/4 on KO rolls (total 0/7, odds: 1/128). Cinni plays a 5 man line that the dwindling orcs cannot counter. Terrell Suggs gets an consolatory injury on his blitz, but the second string thrower fumbles the pick up. Cinni spends their turns tring to force warrior picks ups and failing, but they have the luxury to try. Finally one of them catches it and the back up thrower is injured as well as Cinni blows up their fireball for giggles and walks in. 3-0 Cinni

Clutch moment of the game: The interception in the first half by Andy Dalton.

MVP of the game: Andy Dalton, for his interception and superior ball handling skills allowing the rookies of the team to make progress.

Correctly predicted: Nekran, JR, Licker, Relezite
Relezite

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand and agree with both your points of view. From the perspective of a fan recapping the games though, not bringing him back shut down like 14 turns of entertainment for me though. I will be handing out free buckets of rocks at both of your week 4 games, sirs.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

An interesting stat from week 3 that might support burgun's decision: of the 6 games played in week 3 so far, each of the other five had a team take more damage than Buffalo did. Philly, San Dodos, Green Bay, Tennessee, and Baltimore all got monster set backs.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure Baltimore and Green Bay took the kind of damage that qualifies as a "monster setback" in the way that Philly and Tenny took it to the shorts: I think, rather, they were each, uh, set back a monster.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Time will tell regarding GB. While I didn't lose any major parts I'm going to be <1500 with 11 guys next game and have a 0/2/1 record. If I lost next game too and take some real damage due to lack of players then we could be looking back at this as the point where a lackluster season started to tank...

Then again, maybe things will look up next game when Woodson is back, we'll just have to see!

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, and that is a major divisional contest. But somehow I suspect you'll have more than 11 players in the actual game, along with several other assets to like.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

True enough - and I don't mean to belittle the losses of the rest, I got off easy compared to some of the butchery that happened this week. It still smarts though. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 3 (3/16)
Violence At An All-Time High!
Jacksonville bashes their way to a (2-0) win over Tennessee.

Jacksonville wins the coin toss and elects to receive. Tennessee sets up a vanilla defense with a strength line. Jacksonville loads up a 7 man line with a reverse-Y receiving pattern and a wizard back up. BLITZ! The kick is dead center, so Tennessee can't even get close to marking it, so they settle for piling on a rookie and injuring him. David Tryhard does his best to get the ball immediately in the safety of the pocket of big guys, but it is not safe enough and Tennessee brings in a good blitz that knocks it loose. Unfortunately for Tennessee, the minotaur goes to pick his nose and discovers the ball in his hand. He celebrates this novelty by running right through Tennessee's troll and straight towards the end zone. His team supports him by adding a fractured skull onto a junior blitzer as he does it. A 1d black orc blitz puts the minotaur in his place though and Tennessee is in control of the ball. The move it to the center of the pitch for security and prepare to drive. Jacksonville's position is not great but they grab another blitzer injury, this time on the much stronger Tyler Emischen. Tennessee's troll is on his way to earning the anti-MVP as he spoils their turn on a double skull block. The ball is knocked out and it is a tight scramble for possession, but it's Jacksonville through good positioning and pushes manages to get a clean pick up and break free for the turn 6 score. 1-0 Jacksonville and a 2-turn drive for Tennessee.

Jacksonville plays a wide defense. Tennessee drives one receiver deep and prepares the TTM back up option. The minotaur goes to blitz one or the other after the receiver is triple covered but he roars instead. The TTM is attempted but the goblin is fumbled.

Jacksonville runs a capital-H defense with a loose line of 2/3 big guys. Tennessee deploys a 9-man line to counter. Tennessee starts off well, by removing the troll from the pitch, but fails a gfi with the carrier to end his turn. The ball cannot be reached, but a 3rd blitzer is removed, fatally. DaJohn Harris continues his rampage, hurting a rookie marauder and the ball is secured again at the line of scrimmage. They go for a foul but lose their multi-talented DP instead to a ban. Jacksonville pushes the line, Tennessee pushes back. Harris cannot continue his rampage as he trips on his next attempt. The orc troll finally regains his composure and takes out a rookie of his own. Finally the fireball is let loose and it hits Tennessee hard, proning the troll and ball carrier and giving the ag 4 lineorc a fractured skull. The recovery for Jacksonville here is too easy and they toss it way too far way from anyone but the dark elf himself to recover it. 2-0 Jacksonville with a 2-turn drive for Tennessee

In the final turns, Tennessee attempts a TTM touchdown with the hopes that a fluke riot or blitz could lead to a tie but the goblin crash lands short and they almost give up a third touchdown instead. The whistle is blown and they head to the locker room to lick their wounds.

Clutch moment of the game: I think this is the double skulls by Michael von Bargen during Tennessee's defensive drive that created the hole Jacksonville needed to recover without using their wizard. No skulls, or different block order, different game.

MVP of the game: Hard to give it to any one player but David Tryhard will earn it this time due to his twin key break aways. He didn't steal the ball, but capitalized on the situations perfectly.

Correctly predicted: Nekran, Wingedhuman, Licker, JR
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2014 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Grue is just out hunting for a shot at herger- I personally can't think of anything worse happening

Ps. No promises that this is the season he comes out
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure his coming out won't be at all impacted by who lands the #1 pick...

Smile
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2014 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
I'm not sure Baltimore and Green Bay took the kind of damage that qualifies as a "monster setback" in the way that Philly and Tenny took it to the shorts: I think, rather, they were each, uh, set back a monster.

GB took a ton of MNG, but nothing season ending really. An av8 krox is a bummer, but not an immediate retiring considering the skills.

Philihala really took it in the shorts, both Ulfs dead is pretty tough to recover from in season. Sure, you can take rookies, but Ulfs need 2 skills to become remotely reliable, that's probably not happening in Season 12.

Tenn took a bit of a pruning, but they are a fairly deep team. It sucks to lose guys, but I don't see any of them as unreplaceable on that team.

SD and Baltimorc have some issues, but again, you can survive a bit with a -av or a -ma. It doesn't help, but 4 skill guard lineman and killbyrds should still get solid use.

For all that Bufflo had a rookie die, and a block/guard lineman take a niggle. Yeah, the niggle sucks, but it's not a ton of damage.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2014 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I exaggerated. I just wanted to point out how violent week 3 has been.
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2014 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really an exaggeration, just a difference of short term vs. long term.

Missing 4+ players for a game is a big deal. In your case though, missing both Ulfs for the season is a pretty big handicap.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2014 - 05:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not just any game, either. GB gets Minny next, that's a big game. But still it's only one game.