48 coaches online • Server time: 20:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hidden in the latest update blog, Kalimar confirmed something we had an inkling about, but didn't know it was going to happen for sure.

For me this is the most exciting news for FUMBBL, for a very long time. This being, we will be able to use custom pitches.

This topic is to discuss the implications, potential problems and the design work needed to go forward. E.g. getting the general community involved at an early stage, rather than letting the core helpers have to sort it all out by themselves.

Please try to keep on topic, as I hope this thread will be useful source of information.

I have 2 initial thoughts:

1. The need for generic (professional standard) overlays. This being overlays that could fit any custom pitch and look professional.

They of course being; snow, sunny, rain and heat.

Rain and snow of course are obvious designs. Heat and sunny are not so.

My initial thoughts for Heat would be some 'heat cracks' and a general 'yellowing' or 'reddening' of the pitch.

For sunny a general lightening and saturation, plus a shadow of the top parts of a stadium, on the pitch.

2. My other point is a query. Will the pitch be reversed for the opponent?

I see a potential problem either way.

a. If it is reversed; then writing would also be reversed.

b. If it isn't reversed; then an SWL style 'half pitch logo' pitch, would have the logo placed for the wrong team.

Thoughts, ideas, answers and help appreciated
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest you clarify exactly what options will be available at first for custom pitches. I am not sure myself, but I think they will only be for the tournaments, maybe league play (under tournament settings). Not sure about overlays and mirroring, this is about having full field pitches, not half field pitches.

I am excited about them though.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Would these pitches change auto for the weather?
so new pitch for sunny, snow etc?
or will this be up to the coach to use them?

Not that I am of any help here, but can anyone submit designs and ideas for the new pitches or are they already set

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't exactly what you are asking but because it will get most likely get read by someone who matters I figured I would ask it. I would like to see more visibility during a snow game. I always have a hard time seeing players that have been used. They are a bit faded compared to a player that is unused during my own turn. Maybe there can be a way to not have the fields change for weather but have it more apparent in the spot indicating what the weather is.

Jeffro
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 02:42
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If you knew what i know, you'd be excited.

the things i have seen. The beautiful, beautiful things i have seen.
Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing you know about a pitch is that it consist of squares and that each square will connect to at least one other square (if you design it other-vise you will have squares that the ball can end up on where players cant get to (baring leap, if the distance is short enough).

There is for example no direct need for a football field being a rectangle.

This means, you need to design tiles that can fit together visually, and rules for how to place the tiles. So, you need to think in patterns rather then pictures.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
I suggest you clarify exactly what options will be available at first for custom pitches. I am not sure myself, but I think they will only be for the tournaments, maybe league play (under tournament settings). Not sure about overlays and mirroring, this is about having full field pitches, not half field pitches.

I am excited about them though.

Well yes, of course I knew some aspects, however I'm in the dark about a lot of things. I'm trying to needle out as much information as I can, though. All good points WB.

Ok, with half field pitches, this is the problem I'm seeing.

Let's look at the SWL half field pitch. It's not quite perfect, due to the field swapping over for each person.

So....if an SWLer (or anyone else) designed a pitch to incorporate their team (so they play on their custom half of the field, and the other half is left standard) what will happen then?

If the field is the same view for both players, the other team, will have the custom half. If it does reverse, any fields with lettering would then have that reversed and ruin the effect (as an example Hanzzz pitches have graffiti).

By overlays, I mean conservative overlays that'll convert any pitch to the desired weather pattern, and look professional at the same time.

RE Stanley: All clients so far have had separate pitches for each weather pattern. This means that each pitch has to be made 5 times (if it's to have the weather).

So with an overlay, you would add that to the standard pitch to make it. It could be that the client only uses a standard pitch, and the overlays when a different weather condition is rolled. I very much doubt this however, and recommend not doing this, as adding an overlay isn't an exact science.

RE C3I2: I have no idea what you are on about, but on topic please.

Actually, maybe I get it, and it reminds me of a good point. Dot overlays.

There are 2 ways to design a pitch so that you can see the squares.

With squares or with an overlay (of lines or dots or whatever).

There's various different ways you can do either of these, and you could mix the 2. However a overlay of dots would be handy, and probably has already been done.

Maybe Colin has a set of these already?

Last edited by harvestmouse on Mar 09, 2014 - 03:33; edited 1 time in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

What I know so far is the new pitches are sets, similar to the current one, with a different image. If this feature is available for league, which I am not sure, then SWL (for example) could make a base pitch (wit 5 weather variants) and then teams have their logos on top of that. Not 100% customizable to each team, but each league could run unique fields.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Because you don't realise that pitches can have different shapes, does not mean I´m off topic.

--- I would call the other way "nodes" but its essentially representations of the same thing, just like in chess vs. go.

Last edited by C3I2 on Mar 09, 2014 - 14:04; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

C3I2 wrote:
Because you don't realise that pitches can have different shapes, does not mean I´m off topic.

--- I would call the other way "nodes" but its essentially representations of the same thing, just lick chess or go.

It is off the topic of BB pitches for the client, which can only have one shape (and licking chess has to be unhygienic, I wouldn't advise it).

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If you remember he did this last time, I commented on a topic (legality). His point brought up something useful, but other than that just ignore him and don't worry about it.
C3I2

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

So, if you change the design so you can have CUSTOM pitches, you´re not allowed to have custom pitches? Now, have you played Dungeon Bowl? Have you played table top with "Traps" on the field? Have you watched Aussie Football (hint - its not played on a rectangle).

A customized pitch is a customized pitch, and custom-ed Artwork for pitches is something altogether different.

As for the design, it is often helpful in game design to use the "nodes connected" perspective that way you don't lock your self into thinking squares or hexagons to early and look at the underlying mechanic instead.

Playing with that visually, works but a lot of people would think its weird being accustomed to squares (I do it fairly often in other games so I would adapt almost imediately).
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 14:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify some things:

1. The change Kalimar talked about is at least to begin with an ability to use custom pitch images. It does not allow changing the structure of the field.

2. The first step is to make major tournament specific sets. To begin with, there will be no way to set this option by coaches and/or league managers.

3. Once I get further with the league update code, I will most likely allow group managers to set pitch images for their league games. I have not yet decided the extent of this configuration (i.e., completely custom images or a choice between existing image sets).
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, cool, thanks for the feedback.

So, what we could do with; is ideas, graphics, overlays and possibly tiles.

I believe the Chaos cup and the FUMBBL cup are being worked on.

Something nice could be the FUMBBL dice as a tile square? Or the dice skull, as square corner markers might work?
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2014 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

love the idea of fumbbl dice as tiles. that would look awesome