18 coaches online • Server time: 05:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TenaciousPiggy

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I may be playing blood bowl with some friends IRL soon, so I decided to try to make a custom roster just for kicks and giggles. Here's what I came up with. I decided to go with some fluff cause it would be fun. It's based on the Wood Elf Wild Riders of Kurnous with some tweaks.

Help me out with balancing and cost. I tried to use the team building rules here: [urlhttp://www.midgardbb.com/NewBBTeamBuildingGuide.html[/url]

0/16 Wood Elf Lineman – 7 3 4 7 – GA – PS – 70k
0/4 Elven Steed – 7 3 2 8 – Sure Feet, Fend – GS – A – 80k
0/2 Unicorn Rider – 8 3 2 8 – Sure Feet, Horns, Frenzy – GS – A – 90k
0/1 Great Stag – 6 5 2 9 – Loner, Wild Animal, Sure Feet, Thick Skull, Horns – S – G – 180k

-Standard Wood Elf Lineman, there would only be 4 on a positional heavy team.
-Sure feet was a must for all the positionals, as they all have 4 legs like bull centaurs.
-Horns on the Unicorns and the Stag just made sense.
-I might decide to make the Steeds MA7 instead of giving them block, I'm not sure yet.
-I really wanted the Riders to be fairly bad ball handlers so as to make the linemen useful in some way. Also, it's hard to pick up a ball with hooves.
-The steeds have fend, because who in their right mind would want to run under a rearing horse.
-The Stag seems expensive, but he also seems pretty great. Might bring it down to 150kish.

Last edited by TenaciousPiggy on %b %18, %2014 - %02:%Mar; edited 3 times in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

First obvious thing: Elven Steeds and the Stag should have No Hands.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, wrote a lengthy comment and didn't get published.

Again, then.
First, a few fluff considerations:
- Wildriders of kurnous are a great movility cavalry in warhammer, they move 8-9 inches plus are fast cavalry, changing formations and avoiding obstacles with ease. Here I see a "slow" team.
- Unicorns have no place within the wildriders (but sure, a mage can join them mounting one)

So: more movement. More movement overall.

And I agree with xnoelx, no hands too... which leads to...

If you go the no hands way, which should include the unicorns, you'll have a team with no ball handling. Once you run out of linemen, you are out. But... you could consider unicorns and stag like "mounted", allowing their rider to pick up theball and, perhaps, giving them multiblock for their rider.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice fluff but I think having 6 GS access players to bash with and loads of fast ag 4 to ball with probably makes these guys unbalanced and overpowered. Maybe take S access off the elven steeds to balance it up a bit?

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clarify, all of the positionals are mounted players, so they do indeed have hands. It's just a bit hard for them to reach down and pick up the ball from on their mounts.

I like the idea of a faster team, I'll go ahead and switch some MA on.

Elven Steed - MA+, Got rid of Block. (Was probably gonna do that anyway)
Unicorn Rider - MA+

I'm guessing the team will be a bit slow to start, with no block/dodge and pretty much zero chance of getting your Stag on your rookie lineup. The low AG of the positionals should make up for the high AG of the linemen, and because you're going to want to score with your Steeds and Unicorns early on, the elfballing will be kept to a minimum I would think.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

mounted players are against bb rules Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
mounted players are against bb rules Wink

Members of the Wild Hunt care not for your rules!

This is not technically an official thing, so I doubt it matters. Cool
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Not entirely relevant to how you shape this team, just a random bit of trivia:

There was a Forest Folk team back around the end of 3rd edition, maybe the start of 4th/4th gold, originally published in the Citadel Journal, and collected in the BB Compendium (vol 1, iirc), so they were experimental, not official. They had centaurs, gnomes, and nymphs. Summary of the roster can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/supernbl/compendium.html

The main reason I remembered them at this point, and the bit that is semi-relevant to the current discussion, is the Ride skill. That's the only exception I'm aware of to the rule against mounted players.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm generally against mounted players, they feel and look pretty stupid. However if you have the figures, this is a pretty cool idea.

Bull Centaurs are the common '4 legged animal' stat creature. So I think you can add sprint as well as sure feet.

I'd also add a bit more speed, but drop either the S or G on the positionals. It might not be necessary though. Play with them a bit, see how it goes.

Eventually I want to do icons for a 'new world' native indian style woody team. They might be of use to you, but they're a long way away right now.
TenaciousPiggy

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The positionals would be permanently mounted. Basically, you could switch them out for any fast dude with the skills. There's no cool Ride skill planned for this team, that's far too complicated.

I'll test them out a bit.
Kalessin

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I'm generally against mounted players, they feel and look pretty stupid. However if you have the figures, this is a pretty cool idea.

Well... there's polo (which I find like a dumb sport, but has its fans all over the world).

Also, here in Argentina there's a similar sport called "Pato" (literally, "duck", like the bird), which is tecnically the "national sport", but we all know that the actual national-popular sport is fútbol (what north-americans call "soccer").
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I meant in BB. Also including Lucky Luc, which was a really bad idea.

I thought Polo was big in Argentina. I know they are good at it.
Kalessin

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2014 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I thought Polo was big in Argentina. I know they are good at it.

Sure, is big... but only for the few wealthy people that can actually afford a top-tier horse (or several) or own a horse AND pay the players. Which, as you may imagine, is far from common.

If you happen to come across some pics of the equivalent of polo's superbowl here, you'll see that the crowd is composed of only the richest guys around (plus a few celebrities that happen to stop by to be seen and the middle class wannabes).
 Jump to: