45 coaches online • Server time: 00:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Box intervals should be hourly in offpeak?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 60 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 83

smallman

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems to be roughly an 8 hour window every day where the box will only trigger maybe 2 times. I'd imagine this window would get heaps more games if it was able to be programmed to only trigger on the hour during this time.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

That presupposes that the people who want games during those off-peak hours will all remember to show up in the 5 minutes before the draw. I don't think that's appreciably more likely than them showing up at any other 5-minute interval.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It already has a timer saying how long to next activation

I think its a good idea, each time activation fails add 15 mins to the timer to a max of 1 hour
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Blackbox should be put in a bag with a bunch of rocks, tied closed and thrown into the river.

But only when it's Offpeak hours.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Living in the offpeak timezone I know that if I saw "30 minutes to next activation" I would wander off and do something else. Longer activation periods wouldn't make me more likely to activate, it would do quite the opposite.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Seems to be roughly an 8 hour window every day where the box will only trigger maybe 2 times. I'd imagine this window would get heaps more games if it was able to be programmed to only trigger on the hour during this time.

Wait.....this is the period you are active...am I right?

A thought has occurred to me....
luckyjim12

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe more people would activate if they could be sure they wouldn't come up against an all-marauder CPOMB team with no re-rolls. Just sayin' Wink
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:

\o/ I applaud the subtly of this comment! Smile
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:

I don't know. I find this smallman-bashing a bit tiresome to be honest (no matter how "subtle"). Confused

The rules are flawed - not him.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
smallman wrote:

I don't know. I find this smallman-bashing a bit tiresome to be honest (no matter how "subtle"). Confused

I find he doesn't get bashed enough to be honest Smile

If the flaw was in the rules these practices would be much more widespread than they are.

Playing only minmaxed Clawpomb teams is a personal choice that ruins the fun of many others and has even by his own admission chased new coaches away from the site.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Must admit I haven't played any ranked for, well, feels like years now, because Box allowed me to get a match up at the peak times I play... which has been handy when I haven't had a league game to play.
However, I noticed of late that I wasn't getting many match ups. I keep seeing the stats about the number of ranked games being played in contrast, and hadn't tried the new gamefinder... so I made an orc team to test it out. I got several match ups to start with (up to 5 games) and then cannot get a game... sat there for about an hour the other night... nothing. That's the thing... I'm sure with Box I would have got a game much sooner because of the "compulsory" match up... I've since rolled a HE Ranked team to see if this gets more games... I have a sneaky suspicion it will...

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:

That's totally wrong. Just because there is a loophole or something that can be taken advantage of, it is irresponsible to claim he is not accountable for the way he abuses it.

What about MPs claiming expenses for duck houses and mansions with £6000 electricity bills? Oh, the rules are flawed, the piss-take claims are just dandy.

What about uber wealthy individuals using off shore accounts to pay 1% tax whilst the working class pay closer to 50% all things added in. Oh, the rules are flawed, the tax dodgers are alright eh?

No, players are responsible for their own conduct on this site. If they abuse the ruleset because they can, they make the site worse, they ruin the experience of others - often new players, which is hardly a great first impression - and deserve all the criticism coming their way.

Just because something is legal does not make it right.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Fortis wrote:
Living in the offpeak timezone I know that if I saw "30 minutes to next activation" I would wander off and do something else. Longer activation periods wouldn't make me more likely to activate, it would do quite the opposite.

This that Fortis says.

And also: some bunch of us actually enjoy the Blackbox, even as dirty and mean as it is. 'cos its challenging or whatever.

What the above proposal means is that if 7 people active on time, the one that won't get scheduled will have to wait an entire hour to see if a late fellow player shows up. Doesn't seem fair to him.

That said, I've noticed quite a lot of times that there's 2 or 3 players activating teams and the server don't show any match up at all. I've a wide tv variation (from 1100/1200 to 1800 and some middle grounds) to ensure getting to play a match, and still... nothing.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The bot doesn't schedule less then two games at once (as a measure to prevent arranged games).

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:

How so?

By drying up the opportunities to activate, you make it something you have maybe a 2 hour window to try and if you fail thats it for the day?

I would rather have a lower percentage of rounds result in games if it keeps the absolute number of games higher.
 Jump to: