49 coaches online • Server time: 13:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternatives:

1) No stacking

2) Only possible when blocking player's strength is higher then blocked player's strength (how the hell does an average-sized marauder pile on an ogre, that's simply unimaginable)

3) Remove the skill altogether as it is completely superfluous. Neither ending every other game in like turn 3 of the first half nor laying tons of players prone on the pitch make for an interesting game

4) Definitely no SPP for PO-cas
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
2. Piling on must be declared and the player placed prone BEFORE any armor rolls is made. The attacking coach then has the right to reroll either the subsequent armor or injury roll if they choose.

I like this one. It really makes PO a tactical choice instead of a, "Oh, got through the AV roll? Let's do damage!" It would have a big impact as bash teams would not get the benefit of PO players standing after inclicting casualties, greatly impacting their position and the number of blocks available the following turn.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
2. Piling on must be declared and the player placed prone BEFORE any armor rolls is made. The attacking coach then has the right to reroll either the subsequent armor or injury roll if they choose.

This is great, makes PO even more deadly!

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Grod wrote:

You only get to reroll 1 of them! Smile

Oscar Wilde
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but it removes the tactical element of whether you would rather leave your guy standing or try for a stun/injury.
Bash teams would not get the disadvantage of PO players standing after inflicting casualties, greatly impacting the number of blocks taken the following turn.
With it being declared first you would always pile on.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:
Grod wrote:

You only get to reroll 1 of them! Smile

Being prone is often an advantage for a pomber.
That's what JimmyFantastic is referring to (I think).

Back on topic: only viable solution to save PO is Frankenstein's number 2; this way it would become a rare but useful skill.
In any other case it wouldn't be used anymore imo.

This in a league, of course: I like fumbbl official division(s) as it is.
Grod

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Making it work on blocks only also makes it rather strategic - the PO player has to engage the opponents if he wants to make PO style blocks, and they in turn can try to avoid him or stick fend players on him.

Oscar Wilde
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My alternative pile on rule is:

Pile On stays exactly how it is now, however you need extreme weight or strength to perform this manoeuvre. Therefore only ST 5 or above players may take the skill.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need to be big to pile on

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Mild
1) If you PO and roll doubles on the new roll, you stun yourself.
2) You may only PO if your AV or injury roll is at at least (8-ST).

Harsh
3) If you PO and roll doubles on the new roll, you are ejected (you may use bribes).
4) You may only PO if your AV or injury roll is less than or equal to your ST score.

I really like #2, because it hits PO where it hurts, vs AV7 (and with Claw) and on Stuns. But it leaves it viable, too. Needs to use natural ST score and unmodified AV roll, not counting any assists or skill use (like Horns). ST3 ClawPOMB (or POMB vs AV7) would work on AV rolls only on a natural 5-6 (60% of all fails), and POMB stuns would work on only a roll of 5-7 (>70%). Change it to 9-ST and it's 1/3 of all fails vs AV7 and just over half of all stuns.

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %06, %2014 - %18:%May; edited 2 times in total
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Grod wrote:

Stop the presses, I agree with Jimmy! You *want* your dude on the ground most of the time. It's the times he does a cas the old fashioned way and stays up that you can hit him back.

Here's an idea that Jimmy won't agree on (thus perhaps has a chance of being an actual fix...):

PO causes a turnover on doubles. It is NOT like a foul, the player stays on the pitch it just ends your turn like a failed catch. This makes PO spam bad, and it also makes PO an interesting skill. Do you blitz first and risk a turnover with your killer? Do you do some other things first? What if you PO and it's a turnover before you can protect the killer so he's open to fouls? Lots of fun options and yet it's still good for humans and other races to have a PO or two. It only kills the "killer" teams. Plus we get to watch them rage if they have three early turnovers in a row! Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Change its name to pile on.

Haha yes! Only good idea so far!

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Rat_Salat wrote:
How about just get rid of it altogether?

Easy.

Get rid of one turners first.

We could, I wouldn't care. But there aren't pages and pages of people complaining about oneturners are there?
fidius

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It's called Piling On because that's the name of the illegal manoeuver in American football. But along those lines, how about completely re-writing the skill to fit the fluff better, make it an armour or injury assist for players standing around the victim: players with PO can go prone to give the blocking player +1 to either roll.

Other than that, Grue's idea of making it a turnover (somehow) is a good one, although I'd link it to an armour test rather than straight doubles. eg. after on-piling (lol), opponent makes armour roll on blocking player, minus Strength differential. If armour is broken, turnover. This makes it naturally more attractive for Big Guys with St5 and AV9, and less likely as a skill choice for Human Blitzers, Marauders, Wights, etc.
notbobby125

Post   Posted: May 06, 2014 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually agree with the idea it should function like a foul, in many sports it IS a foul. It makes using the skill a lot riskier to use. You really want to reroll that armor roll if your going to lose your POMBer for the rest of the game.

Here is my idea for a claw nerf: Claw only reduces a player base or natural armor. So, a regular dwarf would have it's armor cut down to 7, but a dwarf with +AV would be reduced down to 8 armor. So, it gives coaches some means to defend against the skill, while making the normally overlooked +AV more useful.
 Jump to: