39 coaches online • Server time: 11:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB4 was better than CRP, so why not bring it back?

(Skijunkies client worked great too.)

i like the /hurt.
i like get the ref for a whole half on a roll of 3+ (3/36) kick off instead of a 2+ (1/36).
the +2 for the dp.
the +2 for the argue the call.
the eye.

People like Options.

so why not have an optional league for Lrb4?
The_Provocateur

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

There was an lrb4 league on fumbbl, it died due to no one playing it. The only thing better about lrb4 was the fouling system and the apo. The new client had /hurt but then it got taken away because some copyright issue. Sad
koadah

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Was it [censored] Mr. Green

We had one but no one used it.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly disagree. Have a few major gripes re CRP, but see them as easily fixable and would like the theoretical LRB7 to be more like LRB6 than LRB4.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you weren't here for lrb4, so you wouldn't know whether it was better or worse with lrb4. On paper crp is much better, in practice I don't believe this is the case. On paper there's no reason in the world to keep aging. However removing it's been a disaster in my opinion.

I think a lot of anti crp or pro lrb 4 players are gone now though. I was a bit surprised it died off so quickly. It was overnight. Very few played the lrb 4 client.

And as for bringing it back, it's not going to work. Christer no longer supports it, the site changes don't support it and most importantly modern javas don't work with the client. So.........

Also as far as I know, Kalimar isn't really interested in supporting lrb 4 functions at the moment.

It would be great to have it now though, I think we could do a lot more with customizing compared to what we did before.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Not going to address the trolling. Smile

Just gonna say this: Skijunkies client would still kill me on the disconnects. Running a stable connection I find harder than ever these days. It's a real priviledge that can go wrong on so many points and it rarely ever is a priority for the service providers.
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I remember how we had that option for 2 years, and how no one used it. And how a few people used the Div X.

But that was mostly due to people wanting to play as quickly as possible. (the propriety of convenience.) And admittedly not much has changed. But this request comes, because of how much I have really come to despise CRP, in comparison to LRB4. (Call it nostalgia.)

I would also prefer a new LRB every other year, like it was done previously. But no one is in charge of that wagon.
it was really neat to release new skills like Wrestle, and Grab.

but since 8 people can't all agree on the toppings of a pizza,
Can we still have the option of getting a slice of LRB4?
perhaps just an optional league?
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I’ll compromise. just give me a +2dp.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

No-one used it because they couldn't.
A few of us tried to do a league but it just didn't work.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Its just nostalgia Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Its just nostalgia Surprised

^ this

I remember LRB4 clearly. I remember so many lopsided games, I remember the lottery of aging, virus, get the ref style destructions and generally enjoying a much smaller % of games.

There's a lot of good stuff in CRP, moreso than the bad (which can be summed up as clawpomb which even isn't that bad in my book - the vast majority of games with a clawpomb or two are very competitive).

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Wuhan wrote:
koadah wrote:

I remember how we had that option for 2 years, and how no one used it. And how a few people used the Div X.

But that was mostly due to people wanting to play as quickly as possible. (the propriety of convenience.) And admittedly not much has changed. But this request comes, because of how much I have really come to despise CRP, in comparison to LRB4. (Call it nostalgia.)

I would also prefer a new LRB every other year, like it was done previously. But no one is in charge of that wagon.
it was really neat to release new skills like Wrestle, and Grab.

but since 8 people can't all agree on the toppings of a pizza,
Can we still have the option of getting a slice of LRB4?
perhaps just an optional league?

Steady on mate! Every year? Shocked

Some of us blokes are old and don't remember stuff so good. Every 5 years at least gives us a chance. Wink

Having to maintain old stuff is an utter pain the the behind. I reckon there is already more than enough here on Fumbbl to look after.

If you can find an old version of java and install it there are probably a few old fogies who would give you a game for old times sake.

I can't see Fumbbl integration happening though. Arrange game through chat and launch them manually. If anyone remembers how.

+2 DP is a glaring omission. I don't know what Kalimar was thinking to be honest. Wink
He could sneak in RSC while he's at it. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you can make a case that LRB4 was better for leagues. But I still think that CRP is far superior, if quite flawed.

The real question is why do fumbbl work off some committee who design the rules for tabletop tournaments with different needs than our community? Why not have a fumbbl committee and work from our own rulebook? (Probably because everyone could cry about every minor thing and christer/fumbbl doesn't want that responsibility, no doubt advantages to having the rules committee at arms length)

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
lizvis

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

i was in the lrb4 league and the match uploader mysteriously stopped working (our teams would get stuck somewhere between the end of a game and post match). we were told that fixing it wasn't possible... sounded lame to me, like someone just wanted the league to go away.

ofc lrb4 was better, fouling was more tactical instead of the blow up/melt down lottery mechanic it is now, dwarfs started to fizzle mid TV and therefore weren't viable in majors (take away the no injury birthdays that made the Competitive Eaters and as a race, dwarfs don't win their first major until CRaP takes over), it took coaching skill to build and maintain a Chaos team in lrb4, now any idiot with a chaos team can make a pack of killers, chaos dwarfs were an all around better race before they lost the troll and 'gained' claw, etc etc, i could go on and on....

but, sadly, it's too late... the site already has too many options on how to play and not enough coaches to go around for all these options. maybe an lrb4 league option would bring back a few of the older coaches who don't play anymore but it would likely be offset by games lost in the main divisions; because some coaches (like myself and wuhan) would probably stop playing CRaP.

@drdiscostu: christer thinks that if he diverts from what the tabletop players play then there will be a mass exodus from the site. i've tried to convince him that it would be the opposite, that the table toppers would conform to whatever was available on fumbbl (especially if it was deemed a more playable ruleset, and really who the hell couldn't make a better ruleset than GW?), but christer just doesn't see it like that.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 17, 2014 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

CRP is quite better than lrb4. The only improvement I would make is making sneaky git more powerful.