15 coaches online • Server time: 06:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xyon

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro elfs still feel like a copy of high elfs, I figure they'd do well with one more positional that is different from the other elfs.

Introducing for speculation, the pro elf blocker.

0-2 pro elf blocker mv6 st3 ag4 av8, starting skills: grab. general and agility skills on normal, strength and passing on doubles. 90,000 gold

Pro elf style of play is/should be based on control of the field, sidesteb on the blitzers, nerves of steel on the catchers, and grab on blockers all provide an ability to control an area on the pitch.

If I were asked about any other changes to the roster, I'd probably either take catchers down from 0-4 to 0-2, or make catchers and blitzers both be 0-3.
licker

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not really make them different and give them a 6438 grab player?

Take away the blitzer.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

YIKES S4 Razz

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

xyon wrote:
Pro elfs still feel like a copy of high elfs, I figure they'd do well with one more positional that is different from the other elfs.

Introducing for speculation, the pro elf blocker.

0-2 pro elf blocker mv6 st3 ag4 av8, starting skills: grab. general and agility skills on normal, strength and passing on doubles. 90,000 gold

Pro elf style of play is/should be based on control of the field, sidesteb on the blitzers, nerves of steel on the catchers, and grab on blockers all provide an ability to control an area on the pitch.

If I were asked about any other changes to the roster, I'd probably either take catchers down from 0-4 to 0-2, or make catchers and blitzers both be 0-3.

First of all Pro Elves are my favourite race in the game Smile they certainly arent a copy of high elves, in fact quite the opposite. They are the original Bloodbowl Elf team along with Dark Elves.

There was talk at one stage of removing high elves from the game and putting Pro Elves in round the time of their re-introduction to the game in BB Mag 8. Though all the high elf fan boys wouldn't have it, I don't think they were ever really going to disapear tbh. So high elves stayed and Pro elves joined. In this period JJ had regrets about the direction BB had moved in and that he felt it was a mistake making the world too similar to the WFB world. So started moving back away from it and back towards the cyber punk thing, this is when Necromantic were introduced and Pro elves Smile

also here are you grabby elves - http://fumbbl.com/help:IthilmarE Wink

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
So started moving back away from it and back towards the cyber punk thing, this is when Necromantic were introduced and Pro elves Smile

I really fail to see the cyberpunk flavour in Necro and Pro Elves.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Really, the Mohawk and leather from pro elves is very cyber punk. But yeah the necro thing not so much that was a move back toward in jokes and references. Basically he wanted the funny stuff so created a roster with Frankensteins monster and werewolves in that don't really fit into the fantasy world. If you remember their models though Frank 'n' stein had leathers again and looked quite shadowrun esque.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

First rule about secret league is dont talk about secret league!

I was inspired by that 'lrb4 was better' thread, what with all the talk about the good things about CRP and LRB4, what went too far or what could be changed for the better. People say amazons and ogres need some roster tweaking, I think the 4 elf teams need some revisions myself just to make them different from eachother. So I thought, no elf team has a blocker yet.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
Roland

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, wasn't necro and khemri suppose to replace undead?
Garion

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:

yup

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Roland wrote:

yup

Ah, i remember correctly Smile
Whfb did split the armybooks too at the time...
So why did the roster stay?

Anyway, on track again... if the pro elves need more positionals it should be halflings. Like the harleqin team Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't remember tbh why they stayed. IIRC Vampires and Khemri rosters were introduced at the same time in one of the BB mags, I'm guessing 4 or 5 here. I believe these were meant to replace undead rather than it being necromantic replacing them, because as you say this is the same period undead became khemri (based on the awful mummy films really) and Vampire counts. It was the following BB mag that JJ had has big 4 page rant about how he wanted BB to move away from the warhammer world again, so it may have been his decision to keep undead and add necromantic at the same time to keep the worlds more seperate, while there were clearly moves elsewhere making them more similar, like in issue 1 with the lustria map which is identical to the warhammer one except with BB stadiums all over the place.

I cant remember exactly though, my memory is a little muddled here and I am at work so cant check.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I would've guessed it was GW's decision, because they had the Undead team minis. Similar to excluding the Pact/Slann/UW teams from CRP.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

possibly. its hard to say. I'm pretty sure he actually states a reason why they stayed in the 4 page article he wrote in the BB mag outlining that he wanted the move away from WFB. Though that was no doubt a contributing factor as well.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
Garion wrote:
Roland wrote:

yup

Ah, i remember correctly Smile
Whfb did split the armybooks too at the time...
So why did the roster stay?

Anyway, on track again... if the pro elves need more positionals it should be halflings. Like the harleqin team Smile

Halflings on an elf team? Hmmm... yeah. 0-2 halflings and 0-1 ogre Very Happy
Garion

Post   Posted: May 19, 2014 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

good news, I found a copy of BB mag 9 online so here it is, though a lot shorter -

Undead were originally based on the WFB army, back in 3rd ed. Because undead worked so well on his first attempt at designing the team they never looked back and kept the team as is (though regen got a few nerfs a long the way). Then 7 years later, Phil Bowen showed JJ a Khemri team he had created from kit bashing. The armies had just split up in to the Mummy Returns and European horror type armies and JJ felt his undead team was quite boring at the time and lacked character unlike the new undead armies.

Then JJ got the Ok to release Khemri kit teams and in his words it opened up a can of worms, because once it was designed he then realised he had to make a vampire team too.

Then he realised too late he had made a mistake and moved too close to the WFB world and the new teams didnt have the leather and spikes cyber fantasy look of the old undead team which was more fitting with BB.

Then he started re-positioning the game again post Khemri and Vampire release. this started with Pro Elves returning, and to continue down this track he then decided to make a Necromantic team, for the reasons I said in my earlier post.

He decided right then and there that he wouldnt worry about keeping things inline with WFB and would steal ideas from other sources.

However at this point the Undead team was removed from the game according to BB mag 9, and only the new 3 should be included. If I were to guess I would say after the final BB mag (12) the BBRC probably had a discussion with JJ and they agreed to let all 4 in the rules for LRB3.

So I am not sure exactly how they came back. But there is some info all the same.