34 coaches online • Server time: 08:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the Snow Troll a good player, specifically in [R]anked?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 33 ]
No!
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
The team is of a similar level either way/ It's personal preference
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Wait until X happens.
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Yhetee Pie
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 52

WoodPusher

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking about starting a [R] Norse team and was wondering about other coaches experience with Snow Trolls? After the first skill up I would take Mighty Blow (unless doubles) and I feel like it would make a great anti dwarf/orc etc. player. Should I take it? Right away? Never? Only after the team is developed to a certain extent?
Garion

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah take one. They add st to your team and a little claw. Just don't expect him to do anything useful.

I'm sure some silly min max loving coach will pop along and tell you they are sub optimal, maybe they are right. But I enjoy playing with one.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes right away. It takes time to develop rookie snow troll. You want to have ST5 guard helping your guys, and the troll is a useful tool against ST4 AV9 players.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse are bloated as hell anyway, MOAR TROLL!!!

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
licker

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse are really only 'good' at low to mid TVs.

Taking a troll just means you get past mid TV faster, but can be effective none the less.

If you want to make a high TV team then yes, go for it. If you want to just win games (kinda like blitzerless slann, *cough*) don't take one and enjoy watching every team you meet struggle to do anything against your walls of block.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the snow troll is quite OK. It helps where help is needed:
- High armored opposition
- Strong opposition
You can take it, and then take mighty blow.
Norse are fine against most opponents at low TV, except maybe dorfs, orcs, and sometimes delves and zons. Troll rocks in 3 of them, and useful against a 3rd of those. Plus it pulls its weight against khemri, necro, and undead.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally don't take one for two reasons:

- At low TV, it's quite expensive for what it is, and at mid TV you can do without him / you're already bloated (norses don't live long, and it just takes a couple of bad games to be left with a 1500TV team with 5 rookie positionals).

- Norses are great because they are reliable: they all start with Block except the Ulfs. The latter already are a pita to deal with until they get their first skill, I don't wanna have one more blockless player.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree not taking both the ulf and the troll. What I did is I took 1 runner, 1 blitzer, and bought the 2nd runner when 1st one is developed, plus the snow troll, and rest linos.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Norse are a bash team with no game vs bashers without one.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just try not to do you your first hits in a turn with him if he doesn't have block. I had a TT tournament oppo who did that first game action and the both downs cost him.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate mine with a passion (he carried over as an Ogre from LRB4). You already have 4 frenzy guys who are at their best blitzing, so a Wild Animal guy who HAS to blitz to be any good seems like a waste of money to me.

If he dies I will not buy a new one, although I may find that all the people who have said you need one above are right and change my mind. Perhaps they are even worse without one *shudder*.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
You already have 4 frenzy guys who are at their best blitzing, so a Wild Animal guy who HAS to blitz to be any good seems like a waste of money to me.

Not a waste, he's just not your "go to" hitter.

Like a tree for woodies, he owns the area around him, and is a St 5 distraction if your opponent wants to blitz him. And unlike the BH negatrait, if he fails his roll he's still there.

Plus, up or down, he's got that Disturbing Presence, and a 3 square "radius" is 7x7, and opponents often forget about it and try a handoff or pass play while within that effect - doink.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends. It really depends. But if you do get one, get him early, and probably don't bother to replace him while your TV is high. He (she? do I want to know?) isn't going to do much against high-level opponents if he doesn't have at least a couple skills (ideally block), and he does not skill up quickly. This is also true of the ulfs, but at least you can sneak a couple TDs with the ulfs, bull centaur style.

Of course, I said yes because of the two Basic Troll Facts: 1) Trolls Are Fun, and 2) Weird Icy Trolls Are More Fun. But, you know, if you're min-maxing Norse for some reason.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I need to haughtily throw in the opinion of the Current XFL Norse Champions... before I lose it when it comes around again...

SNOW TROLL = FUN TIMES

I've gone into most tourneys with a high TV and the Yeti only has decent use versus a few teams. In the XFL tourney, I don't think I used the Yeti much at all. He's not useless, but he's certainly unreliable. Get him after both Ulfs have a couple skills.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The snow troll is pretty useless to be honest. I have recently tried norse again after a long time away and they are just really annoying, not a race I enjoy playing at all. At low TV they are very good, but once opponents get guard you are screwed.

But what they actually need from a big guy is an Ogre with claw, not a frenzy player. They need an av9 bone head thick skull player to take hits and dish them out, the rest of the team is so squishy and wild animal is a terrible negatrait. Personally I just don't think it is possible for them to compete at high TV using a conventional roster and their squishy big guy is one of the reasons for that.

The other problem is with Frenzy on their 4 blitzer types it is often impossible to blitz with them all it takes is a bit of common sense from your opponent and they have a 2nd line screen meaning if you block and fail to knock someone over you will be giving away half dice all the time and leaving your squishy blitzer open to blocks the following turn. Meaning you have to blitz with linemen far more frequently than you would like.

Sadly I think the best way for Norse to play is all linemen and just hope you get enough doubles on every player so your team has blodge, MB, guard all over, a couple of MB PO tackle players, plus a block MB PO Pro snow troll and a blodge SH SS runner. But the chances of them ever achieving a team like this are almost nil.