20 coaches online • Server time: 08:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Legends. Maybe u scare?
I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
I am not a Legend and I like to play vs Legends
19%
 19%  [ 29 ]
I am a Legend and I am scare of other Legends
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
I am a Legend and I I like to play vs other Legends
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
I am a human and I like pie
50%
 50%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 151

Grod

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Since then I have been unable to get a game in ranked.

The GrodBot will always play you Jimmy!

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

Oscar Wilde
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Yeah never seen anything like this in ranked Surprised

Ha ha ha, how did I get my CR so high? This is very true though. I myself become so overly picky in ranked. I don't enjoy the game finder at all, because of ME and no one else. I am not a vulture. I never go after rookies. I just avoid teams I normally only see in the Box. No CDs, Chaos, Nurgle, and etc. but that is all on me. I enjoy playing legends. Most Legends in ranked are dirty min/maxers and I first look at their teams before staying away. At least in the old day I could say to someone "No thanks, you are a dirty min/Max'er. I prefer to have an even match up." Now it's just silence and no explanation. Anyways my rant of the day is over. Box is my favourite area, but with no competitors after the much needed changes has forced me to play Ranked. Check that, it has forced me to watch the game finder for hours. But again that's my own issues and much easier to accept when the box decides my fate. Legends no scur me.

Jeffro
Stimme

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I just played against a Legend. I would do it again.
I would also play Jimmy, although I am more leftish. And he is always right.
I would not play Keggiemckill, because he is a dirty cheater luring unexperienced coaches into matches with Goblins and stuff, when all they want is an easy game to skill their AG4 wolf.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

And then kill your wolf with a well placed Chainsaw foul. I'm a terrible person. Wink unfortunately My Gobs are in the Box so you can't choose to play them. In the Box, only I can choose to play them. Smile

Jeffro
Synn

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I miss getting games in chat. I tend to get on gf and then promptly wander off. When I pay attention, I usually green light a combo of a game looking fun and the coach being somewhat familiar to me (in a good way). Losing a game is fine for me if I can have a few laughs, but I hate winning against someone who is just pissed off at the get go.

There are very few Legend coaches I haven't already played a few times. Some of them are games I would rather take with some stakes on the line (bless you Fumbbl majors).

Reading through this thread though makes me think I should start breaking out more teams. I know over the past six months, I have been pretty focused on Undead/Dorfs. I guess my charming personality doesn't mix well with positional raep.

Might create some norse.

__Synn
spinball

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I fear but one coach on the site, PurpleChest is the only one I have felt totally outmatched against. Then I looked at my ranking (which used to be on the front page) and found out I am a legend... Doubt anyone fears me though Smile
Malmir

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Raughri wrote:
I often find that legends who have bash teams are reluctant to play each other, which I find incredibly amusing. Lost count the number of times two legends with CD, Chaos, Nurgle teams both in 2k plus territory, refuse to play each other but green light my 1800 teams.

I do enjoy games against better players, but I wish they would talk me through my mistakes, as it would save me having to watch the replays as well as hopefully making me a better player.

Remember that they BOTH have to agree to play. It might well be one of them (perhaps the one who is green lighting you) is happy to play that match but the other coach won't so they look elsewhere.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, the ludicrous 'look at the hardcore action going on in B' argument, as if the standard is higher. Thread complete. Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I know this is a bit of a sidebar, but this interested me.

Verminardo wrote:
(And then I put my best player in harm's way anyway because I really want to win. A fine Legend am I...)

I utterly dissagree. i am not saying Legend means anything, or that CR does. But I have yet to see a truly great coach at a high CR that hugs their pixels. Even that is in any way afraid to put their pixels into danger.

Gotta agree with PurplChest here.

But oh wait. I see Verminardo's point of view too.

Did our game last night have any special meaning to you beyond pick up game? For me it was an end of sprint game. I needed to win to have any chance of winning ARR Elf.

Score is 1-1, deep in the 2nd half. You have the ball, a numerical advantage and you are stalling out to win.

Yet your star player is still getting stuck in as if it were turn one. The apoth is gone but you are still trying to guarantee a victory that looks pretty likely anyway.

That is Legend thinking IMO. Wink

A mere star or even super star may well have been thinking "If she buys it here this team could be pretty ordinary for quite a while" Smile

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Ah, the ludicrous 'look at the hardcore action going on in B' argument, as if the standard is higher. Thread complete. Smile

No, no. It wasn't complete until a Legend complained about "standards". Wink

You did manage 4 legends & 5 Super stars in your last 17. I suppose there must now be a way query the API to see how often legends pick legends..

Of course as we all know, your legends were 'real' legends. Wink

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear oh dear oh dear. I oscillate between laughter and sadness.

Time to leave.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread started out interesting, but has gotten somewhat off track.

The way I look at it is pretty simple: if you want to get games in [R]anked without having to sit on gamefinder for hours, the only way is to make sure people want to play your team/coach combination.

Failure to do so is always your own fault, period.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Play with pro elves and you will get games. Even as a legend. People can not say no to pro elf teams. They know even if they lose they will get lots of spp from cas ect.And you get to enjoy playing lots of games and can even avoid the worst matchups (4x mbpo tackle dudes ect).

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Maybe thats what stops a lot of people playing High ranked coaches. They see it, and it probably needs to be seen as, hardcore mode. They are likely to throw everything they have at you at every turn.

Yeah, quite so. It's not always good for team building, though. That was all I meant. Some really good players just manage to do both, look at Mr. Happy or Ripley or John Little or Vindaloo (or Jarvis "never bright here", which goes to prove what Coach Ranking is and isn't, Zed could kick my ass with Flings any day.)

But your point kind of resonates with what PainState and others have said about fun vs. winning. I don't really get the people who don't care whether they play badly and lose all the time and say they are here for the fun, not the winning, to me that's a contradiction. I don't mind so much if I lose a close game to a good coach, or even if I get diced, but I just hate losing because I made a big mistake. So at some point, after some 50 R/B matches or so, to me it was either improve my coaching, or leave Fumbbl because it became too frustrating.

So I don't really understand how it's fun to play thousands of matches and still make those mistakes, and not care, and have a team of every race, and play Vampires and Humans and Ogres. My approach was to focus on a few tier 1 races (Dark Elves and Wood Elves in my case) and try to become competitive, a mission that is not yet completed as I haven't won an official tourney yet. And once I've done that I'll play Humans and Slann and what have you.

Which is not to say that I disregard others' idea of fun, obviously Fumbbl would be a much poorer place without the Buccaneers and Milford and I've been tipping my hat to the latter with my own humble bit of Majors coverage. Smile
Grod

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
But your point kind of resonates with what PainState and others have said about fun vs. winning. I don't really get the people who don't care whether they play badly and lose all the time and say they are here for the fun, not the winning, to me that's a contradiction. I don't mind so much if I lose a close game to a good coach, or even if I get diced, but I just hate losing because I made a big mistake. )

+1

Verminardo speaks my language Smile There seems to be an inherent contradiction to me - if coaches won't play against Legends because they want to play games they can win, but at the same time, their complaint about Legends is that they are too focused on winning.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: