46 coaches online • Server time: 10:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Legends. Maybe u scare?
I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
I am not a Legend and I like to play vs Legends
19%
 19%  [ 29 ]
I am a Legend and I am scare of other Legends
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
I am a Legend and I I like to play vs other Legends
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
I am a human and I like pie
50%
 50%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 151

koadah

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Verminardo wrote:
But your point kind of resonates with what PainState and others have said about fun vs. winning. I don't really get the people who don't care whether they play badly and lose all the time and say they are here for the fun, not the winning, to me that's a contradiction. I don't mind so much if I lose a close game to a good coach, or even if I get diced, but I just hate losing because I made a big mistake. )

+1

Verminardo speaks my language Smile There seems to be an inherent contradiction to me - if coaches won't play against Legends because they want to play games they can win, but at the same time, their complaint about Legends is that they are too focused on winning.

No. there is no contradiction at all. Not even close.

1. Wanting a game where people feel that they have a fair chance of winning. A lot of people will feel that they won't get that if they play vs a top coach with a near perfect team. The definition of 'fair' here may vary. Wink

2. Fear that a coach too heavily obsessed with winning is gonna bitch and whine for a miserable experience if things don't go their way.

3. A legend with a basher team is likely to be able to destroy your team more efficiently than someone else.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Grod: No, that's not really how I meant it. The contradiction I mean is between playing for fun and not playing to win, and naturally that's a subjective sentiment so I'm merely stating my own preference, not judging anybody else. For me, playing for fun is playing competitively. Not in a way that puts winning above everything else, mind. You can be fair, and considerate, and welcoming to new/inexperienced players, and still play competitively. Mainly I just want to play at a certain level of coaching skill where my own play doesn't constantly frustrate me, but if I have a few unlucky games in a row I do confess a victory becomes really needed in order to cheer me up...
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Did our game last night have any special meaning to you beyond pick up game? For me it was an end of sprint game. I needed to win to have any chance of winning ARR Elf.

Score is 1-1, deep in the 2nd half. You have the ball, a numerical advantage and you are stalling out to win.

Yet your star player is still getting stuck in as if it were turn one. The apoth is gone but you are still trying to guarantee a victory that looks pretty likely anyway.

That is Legend thinking IMO. Wink

A mere star or even super star may well have been thinking "If she buys it here this team could be pretty ordinary for quite a while" Smile

Heh. Basically it was just bad play on my part, but it didn't make me mad at myself because it was just laziness. I know I could have done better if I had bothered to really think that turn through, which would, by the way, really have been a Legend thing to do... Wink Might have bothered if I had been trying to build that team up for tourneys and keep that player, but with the Niggle that Witch really was something of a liability already so I was very prepared to let her go. Smile
Synn

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy,

It might also help if you aren't packing 6 MB dorfs at TV 1400. Smile

__Synn
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really, as this was the same team that was getting games at superstar.
Got a couple of games after posting this so no need to tank my rating with brogres yet!

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah you dont seem to be having much trouble getting the easiest of easy games with your Dwarfs. 4 brogres Razz

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I rather enjoyed the match. If not for several snakes, at critical times, it would have been 2-0 in my favor.

Love those sticky finger blockers.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Muahahaha I love me some brogres! Really good game vs Bullroarer4's Darkies. They couldn't run and we couldn't block. Thankfully luck was on my side when it really mattered despite some bad play and some really tight spots.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I played a few games recently and got my Legend ranking back.
Since then I have been unable to get a game in ranked.
I played someone in Box today and he said he could not beat a legend.
His team was better than mine but he seemed almost resigned to defeat just because of the tag.
Are people that scare of "legends"?

Good picking bud Smile

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Legendhood is overrated. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I do avoid a lot of legend coaches, but not because I'm the bad guy from The Lion King. It's because a lot of the legends take the game VERY seriously and it's not a fun match up. I don't really care if I lose, or even if my pixels explode (some may doubt this given my love of my zombie stat freak, but any who've seen some of the dumb moves I make with him will get it) but I hate spending over an hour stuck in a game with someone who sucks all the fun and fluff out of it for me.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Synn

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:
It's because a lot of the legends take the game VERY seriously and it's not a fun match up.

I take BB pretty seriously, but not every match. Tourneys give me my competitive outlet and the one perk to B and R being separate is that I am always in a tourney. Therefore I have found that my R games are those I don't care as much about.

__Synn
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

"I am a human and I like pie"

translation: "I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends"

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
akaRenton wrote:
It's because a lot of the legends take the game VERY seriously and it's not a fun match up.

I take BB pretty seriously, but not every match. Tourneys give me my competitive outlet and the one perk to B and R being separate is that I am always in a tourney. Therefore I have found that my R games are those I don't care as much about.

__Synn

I should probably clarify a bit.

There are some legends I will accept a game or two from who I don't know much about to see what they're like.

There are some who I've specced a fair few times and picked up a bad impression of (rightly or wrongly, the internet is notoriously awful for picking up on intonation), and probably will turn down.

There are some I would happily play daily because they are lots of fun.

There are some who I avoid like a 70's BBC employee because everything I've seen about them suggests I'll have no fun whatsoever.

For what it's worth, you fall into the 1st category Synn. Don't think we've ever played each other, and I don't know very much about you beyond your win rate and the odd specced match.

The other reason I may not respond to a green light, is that someone I know is fun has already offered me a game in a league, or via pm.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
"I am a human and I like pie"

translation: "I am not a Legend and I am scare of Legends"

A statement which may then be translated to:

"I am looking for a good time, but that guy's packing ruffies".

Additionally, the dyslexic with poor reading comprehension may have thought it read:

"I am pie, and I'm afraid of humans".
 Jump to: