18 coaches online • Server time: 01:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What about adding to the new FFB client an option to mark players with coloured skill rings?
While at low TV marking players with letters is enough, in a game at high TV I missed a Guard because one opponent player had too many skills.
It would be way easier to spot immediately Guard/Diving Tackle players if they had a coloured ring around them.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %26, %2014 - %02:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, should be fairly easy to implement compared to most suggestions too.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

How does that work for multiple skills? Multiple coloured rings?

Bio template here.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

cdwat wrote:
How does that work for multiple skills? Multiple coloured rings?

That's one possibility, but I would be happy even with just one-colour ring per player, to mark very important skills like Guard/Diving Tackle/Side Step (just one of them, for the remaining skills I would use the letters).
The important thing is being able to spot immediately a dangerous/troublesome player.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
...I would be happy even with just one ring per player, for marking very important skills like Guard/Diving Tackle/Side Step...

Why not just mark that *one very important skill* first with a Capital.

G = guard
MB = mighty blow
GDtS = guard diving tackle sidestep

Rings all well and good for low TV tabletop tourneys. High TV, I would be annoyed as f**k if someone tried to stack 5 rings on my guy at a TT tourney. When you play high TV, you should be well enough versed with who are the biggest targets, what they have, and what you need to watch out for. You're a vet... suck it up and don't expect the computer to do everything for you! ;D
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Shift Right Click allows a greater degree of precision in naming than rings. Rings?!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffro wrote:

Why not just mark that *one very important skill* first with a Capital.

G = guard
MB = mighty blow
GDtS = guard diving tackle sidestep

Rings all well and good for low TV tabletop tourneys. High TV, I would be annoyed as f**k if someone tried to stack 5 rings on my guy at a TT tourney. When you play high TV, you should be well enough versed with who are the biggest targets, what they have, and what you need to watch out for. You're a vet... suck it up and don't expect the computer to do everything for you! ;D

Because the capital letters occupy more space and, when a player has 6 skills to mark you can't see them all, that's the reason.

I don't get why you are mentioning TT tournaments, I'm not saying that you or your TT opponents have to use skill rings, I'm asking skill rings for FFB.
If you don't want to use the feature it's fine, nobody forces you to do it or to see skill rings in your client.
It's not that I'm not able to understand where the menace is, the problem is when you face for example 4 gutter runners with a similar skill set, differing just for a guard, a sidestep, a diving tackle etc.
I don't understand why should I suck it up, if there is the possibility to make things easier with a simple request.
mrt1212 wrote:
Shift Right Click allows a greater degree of precision in naming than rings. Rings?!

Sure, too bad that things get a bit tricky when you are facing players with 5/6 skills each and you have not enough space to mark all the skills, hence the ring would be useful as additional marker.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Use characters to mark skill combos. I use # for Blodge, @ for POMB, % for Wrodge. I almost never have to note more than five characters even on a legend.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice suggestion but I'd rather coloured circles.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

There's plenty of space to write 'kill' or 'avoid' and still see it... Razz

For most players, there's only a couple of skills worth noting anyway - guard, diving tackle, sidestep, and maybe tackle if you have a lot of dodgers.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not use these rings, conveniently located on your keyboard: O o 0 D Q @

Seriously though, you just need a better labelling system.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I mark nearly everything and have had no problems.
Coloured circles would be nice to have and I'm sure I would use them if they were available, but maybe not worth implementing(I have no idea how much work would be involved).

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Use characters to mark skill combos. I use # for Blodge, @ for POMB, % for Wrodge. I almost never have to note more than five characters even on a legend.

Ooh, good idea, I'm going to give that a try myself.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds clutter-tastic. Hope that the full pitch crossword "logos" and these horrid ring colours really carry over into the new client! Maybe we can have some flashing lights and gif animations added to the pitches as well, and make crickets the standard sound for all actions.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't like them you can just not use them....