20 coaches online • Server time: 01:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

when a player is a "monster", suaully gets the X label.
tasty targets get XXX.
tasty target with Guard get XGX
ballhandlers with O.
lesser ballhandlers, o.
lesser freaks, x.

once i labelled one DIE.

as well as "dafuq"

DO YOU EVEN LABEL

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

m0gw41 wrote:
Why not use these rings, conveniently located on your keyboard: O o 0 D Q @

Seriously though, you just need a better labelling system.

And you need to read the previous posts, because I said that capital letters occupy too many spaces.
The problem is when there are many players with many skills, not marking the odd player with guard or dodge.
jamesfarrell129 wrote:
There's plenty of space to write 'kill' or 'avoid' and still see it... Razz

For most players, there's only a couple of skills worth noting anyway - guard, diving tackle, sidestep, and maybe tackle if you have a lot of dodgers.

When players have 6 skills it's a bit harder.
I mark killers with "k" as well for the record.
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

To each their own.

#1, only mark skills gained, not skills a player started with
#2, if a player has a lot of hard to abbreviate skills, mark a couple important ones then put a + or ++ after those marks to remind you to look at this player more closely
#3, play nothing but cpomb spam in box and remove all the opponents players before you have to worry about marking them.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
If you don't like them you can just not use them....

I won't use them since the suggestion seems to add very little that isn't already available.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

#1, only mark skills gained, not skills a player started with
#2, if a player has a lot of hard to abbreviate skills, mark a couple important ones then put a + or ++ after those marks to remind you to look at this player more closely
#3, play nothing but cpomb spam in box and remove all the opponents players before you have to worry about marking them.

#1 I already do that

#2 The point of using abbreviations is to avoid checking player, not making me check the player every time.

#3 I find dull and boring playing cpomb spam, I hate the lack of variety so I play something different to contribute to variety.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
#2 The point of using abbreviations is to avoid checking player, not making me check the player every time.

I disagree. It should be to remind you of key skills, like guard or diving tackle. You don't have to mark down all 6 skills - surely when you are blocking you can check whether the player has block or not? It takes literally seconds to check what skills a player has.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

re #2 You mark the important skills, skills like kick off return or sure hands (if you don't have strip ball) or just about any passing skill all largely irrelevant 99% of the time. No need to mark any of them. Just put something extra on the player so you know that if you can blitz someone you can blitz them because it will remove a few more skills if they go out.

re #3 Rolling Eyes
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

When I'm blocking a specific player, sure, too bad that in crowded situations with sidestepping guards and diving tacklers you need a overall vision before starting the block sequence, especially if you have a frenzy player blocking.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
re #2 You mark the important skills, skills like kick off return or sure hands (if you don't have strip ball) or just about any passing skill all largely irrelevant 99% of the time. No need to mark any of them. Just put something extra on the player so you know that if you can blitz someone you can blitz them because it will remove a few more skills if they go out.

re #3 Rolling Eyes

I don't mark sure hands, kor, and tackle if I have no dodge for example, I know that well.
I mentioned skills like guard, side step, diving tackle, i.e. the problematic ones.
I don't understand why you keep on suggesting alternatives when my idea wouldn't affect your own way of marking players.
If you don't need to mark players, use weird charactes and symbols more power to you, I asked for a feature.
If it's possible to have it fine, if not I will suck it up.
From a technical point of view it should be easy to add.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
When I'm blocking a specific player, sure, too bad that in crowded situations with sidestepping guards and diving tacklers you need a overall vision before starting the block sequence, especially if you have a frenzy player blocking.

So mark Guard, Side Step and Diving Tackle. Easy.

I would also like it if Kalimar added a feature where every time I open the client, it says "Hi Greg!" to me. It should be easy to add, and I'd really enjoy it. If other people don't want it, they can turn it off.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

I would also like it if Kalimar added a feature where every time I open the client, it says "Hi Greg!" to me. It should be easy to add, and I'd really enjoy it. If other people don't want it, they can turn it off.

Sigh, such clueless comments...
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing wrong with your request, indeed I like it in principle.

However, you made it sound as though you had issues marking players because there were too many skills to mark.

So many suggestions were on ways to get around that.

Remember that in the new client markings for you team should be remembered from one match to the next, already this is a big improvement for many of us. Creating and using a well thought out marking system then is going to be very helpful for a lot of coaches.

Of course everyone should do it their own way, but if they are having issues with it then many of us have lots of suggestions for methods to try.

For what it's worth...

I use s for side step
t for diving tackle
G for guard
g for grab
B D Tfor block dodge tackle
b and d for break tackle and dauntless

So a player with blodge side step diving tackle and tackle would be
BsDtT

That fits on my screen just fine. Alternatively I use some abbreviations for some combos to save on space, mostly just for pomb or cpomb and for foulers, though most foulers only have one or two skills anyway.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

If the client said Hi Greg to me any time I loaded it up, I'd lose more games due to confusion. Its an outrage. Imagine the forum spam after that.

I want the client to learn my marking schemes and auto-apply them for each team. And also to tell me when I'm about to do a really stupid move (and I'm not talking about the skill now) Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of rings in essence. I also have no problem marking players with sufficient characters/letters/numbers/words. But, this may be me being stupid as I am not technically gifted, what happens in high tv games when a scrum appears. Surely all the colours would overlap and look hideous? It would look like Care Bear puke wouldn't it? Surely that would be even more confusing. Fine if there was only 1/2 players with lots of skills, but...well you get the idea.

Perhaps I have seen the vision incorrectly?

This is an observation/question of the OP not a criticism Smile
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2014 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My scheme is similar to licker's, except I use b, d, t for Block, Dodge, Tackle, as lower case letters use less space and those skills are more prevalent. Then only rarely do I need to use the wider B & D for BT and Daunt.