28 coaches online • Server time: 04:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to disagree on all those points really. First of all in this edition I would rather be a tv 150 underdog every game if I'm an elf or rat. Similarly if I'm lizards and playing against any bash race other than cpomb heavy teams I would rather have slibli and a wizard than being even tv. They are just far better than anything you can hope to build. A free 2+ shot at getting the ball carrier down and adding an extra st4 to the roster with an amazing skill set is really broken imo. Imo there are certain racial match ups and tv differences where the tv underdog actually has the far better chance of winning because of gimmicky inducements. Personally I don't like this aspect of the game at all now.

Journeymen imo shouldnt be allowed to rr at all. The 50% thing just increases the luck factor in games , which imo is bad. The way it works now isn't terrible but it's still preferable to them having free rrs. They should be a hindrance on your team. In this environment journeyman abuse would go through the roof if they performed as well as regular players. However I would rather see star players lose loner. Too many of them are completely pointless atm as they don't have block or dodge, with access to rrs secret weapons would work a bit better as would the utility stars like dolphar etc...a price hike would be needed on some, but then I think it's needed in some places anyway.

As for the permanent injuries. I disagree again. I actually think the leves of attrition on the whole is ok. The problems as I see it is it mostly comes from one source - cpomb, where as it would be better if all teams caused damage more evenly with the bash teams obviously doing slightly more damage, and I also think the attrition is too low at low tv and too high at high tv, basically it needs to even out a bit, obviously high tv it should go up, but not to the extent it does. the answer here is a fouling buff. The reason this is needed is to make it very hard to create kill stack players etc... Basically they would be targeted most games with a good foul, preventing teams building up as many legend killers as they want.
The increased power of early bash would also help keep all teams tv down between the 1400 - 2000 range. Which was on of the design goals of crp that didn't quite succeed. The removal if the bank rule by JJ is said to be the cause of this problem, allowing some teams to maintain high tv for too long, though I'm personally not a fan of that rule anyway tbh.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a bit like the ageing argument. You can say it is a good mechanic if you like but people are gonna hate it.

People won't like making it harder to get their teams going.

IMO the proposed nerfs would have been a good enough start.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying make it harder to get teams going. I'm saying give low tv a weapon against high tv that hurts them. As above- allowing stars to rr means secret weapons wouldn't be quite so terrible. (I would also bring secret weapon rolls back too) and better fouling along with IGMEOY would help take big teams down a peg or two.

The big problem really is people want conflicting things. The design goal as stated before was to have teams constantly in the 1400 - 2000 tv range as that is where the teams are most balanced and gives the weaker races more chance to perform well which everyone wants. But then from a selfish point of view people also want to make the most kick ass team on the site, that's better than anyone else's. This isn't actually meant to be possible in crp and for the most part they succeded but teams still stay above tv2000 far longer than intended which is a contributing factor to the problems we see.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the 2000+ teams are only really a problem based on the absurd matchups that sometimes are scheduled. That is to say, its not a really frequent problem at all.

It's mostly KenThis (Murder by Numbers), Griffon31 (Run-Amuck), Jean-Michel (Kill Theater), Tykoonfranky (Prédateurs Style) who have high TV Chaos teams that get wonky TV difference matchups. Even this sprint though, none of them are really at the upper bound of TV thanks to Nuffle's divine intervention and them having to play one another.

I mostly play Box so YMMV, but it's been quite pleasant as of late.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

(Thanks to JimmyFantastic intervention) You're welcome!

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
(Thanks to JimmyFantastic intervention) You're welcome!

I wonder if Jean-Michel burns effigies of you yet, he's taken the most from you so far.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Better fouling with cheap expendable linos would probably be worse for the Box than CPOMB is now.

Fumbbl coaches tend to be pretty good at protecting their stars which is is where ageing came in. But of course people hated it.

Higher cost for stars would help. Though personally I like them. Wink

I hadn't realised that teams staying over 2000TV was that big a problem. 1800-1900TV killers are quite bad enough. Wink

Even KenThis has no Box teams over 1900 and only one over 1800.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Better fouling with cheap expendable linos would probably be worse for the Box than CPOMB is now.

Fumbbl coaches tend to be pretty good at protecting their stars which is is where ageing came in. But of course people hated it.

Higher cost for stars would help. Though personally I like them. Wink

I hadn't realised that teams staying over 2000TV was that big a problem. 1800-1900TV killers are quite bad enough. Wink

Even KenThis has no Box teams over 1900 and only one over 1800.

But if fouling was improved then people might actually take 50k cards in the hope of getting Codpiece. (I kid!)
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

A thing I would like for perpetual play is not giving free journeymen to teams with TV 1750 or higher and with enough treasury to replace players.
Another small change I'd like is reducing the SPPs for causing a CAS from 2 SPPs to 1 SPP.
Killers would need twice the casualties as they cause now to get Legend status.
Currently clawpombers rack up SPPs very quickly.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %02, %2014 - %20:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Which then would mean that those who got there stays longer in the sweetest pot. (Before they need to pick unnecessary skills thus increase TV.)

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Which then would mean that those who got there stays longer in the sweetest pot. (Before they need to pick unnecessary skills thus increase TV.)

Block, Mighty Blow, Claw, Piling On, Tackle, Frenzy, Juggernaut, all necessary skills.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
We're not going to do anything. We're not even going to trial the CPOMB nerfs that Christer was considering.

I hope you are wrong, but it is not long before making the nerf changes/tests to Box will be too late.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I think the 2000+ teams are only really a problem based on the absurd matchups that sometimes are scheduled. That is to say, its not a really frequent problem at all.

You miss my point. Probably my fault for not being clear.

The reason the goal of crp was to keep teams tv in the aforementioned range was nothing to do with cpomb etc... The idea was to keep teams in that tv range because the belief was/is that the balance is lost for tier1 teams (which officially if I can call it that is every team other than stunty , vamps and the 3 new ones) once teams start maintaining such a high tv. Where as teams within the tv bracket all stand a pretty even chance of winning. The fact this has failed is why we will never see human or Norse major winners; because teams are consistently remaining at or above a tv level that was meant to be possible.

Last edited by Garion on %b %02, %2014 - %20:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I read it as applied to the environment I play in, not recognizing how it affects tournies, etc. You're right - if the intent was to keep most Tier 1s even at high TV, they failed.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2014 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Sorry, I read it as applied to the environment I play in, not recognizing how it affects tournies, etc. You're right - if the intent was to keep most Tier 1s even at high TV, they failed.

Exactly, that was their intent. Which is why imo low tv bash is needed and for me it comes in the form of improved secret weapons and fouling. Not so the lower team has a much greater chance of winning but so the lower tv team is both protected with inducements like extra apos while they can actually do damage to the higher tv teams which would help pull them closer together tv wise. At the moment the sheer power of cpomb gives rookie or low tv teams close to zero chance of causing cas to the cpomb teams. While the wizard gives them a reasonable chance of winning or drawing the game it's largely irrelevant because the higher tv team will remain high suffering few to no cas and gaining lots of spps in the process helping them maintain their bash dominance