12 coaches online • Server time: 06:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

(Wasn't sure whether to put this in 'House Rules' or 'Real Life'...)

Hi all,
back in january I posted the NTBB2014 rules (as well as the NTBB2014 Bretonnians).
They can (as always) be found here: http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm

However, I also wanted to post some thorough explanations about why NTBB2014 turned out like it did. Then Work got in the way. A lot.
But now summer is here, and I've finally finished my write up. You can read it here:
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB2014x.htm

Finally, if you just want the lovely reference sheets, you can grab it here:
Rules: http://www.plasmoids.dk/NTBB2014.pdf
Inducements: http://www.plasmoids.dk/Inducements%20NTBB2014.pdf

Enjoy
Martin
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

- Please give me a more insight into the Amazon case, and samples. I thought the blitzer could be 80k when the linewoman are 60k. Your statement says I was wrong, and I would like to understand it.

- Would you consider limitless rosters to help stunty teams?

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

AG 4 catcher for halfling with right stuff, pretty nice boost, can't say i'm not 100 % for ^_^

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry martin but I think this NTBB is getting worse each edition. The Claw and PO changes fair enough, personally I think they are too much, but they are still better than what we have now, I think the previous ones where claw was -2 to a minimum of 7 was better and I think the PO not stacking was better.

Slann - the minus 10k is correct.

Goblins - Trolls should never have had loner I agree there, but that's enough calling them River Trolls and giving them two skills for free is nonsensical. Removing Loner from the trolls and giving the Loony Dodge as a starter skill would have been the correct way to go about it imo.

Ogres and Zons - I'm just going to ignore them for now as those rosters need completely re-written from scratch anyway.

Wood Elf - That change would stop me ever playing wood elves again. sure they are a very good race. But that is a ridiculously huge nerf.

Halflings - Starting with Ag4 catchers I get from a fluff stand point because of 2nd ed, but again I think you are going the wrong direction, just give them back a chef that actually works and that should be their shtick, their opponents basically should never have re-rolls.

Then we get to the two worst ones, high elf getting Sure Hands and Chaos getting a leader Minotaur. These are really laughable.

High Elves - you have removed a skill that never gets picked and adds a little character to the team and given them Sure Hands a skill that everyone takes on every team very quickly. I do agree that high elves are the weakest of all the elves especially at low TV but I really don't think they need any buff. But if you go that way why not just drop the thrower and catcher price 10k each. Then you can have a starting roster that isnt really poor like their normal ones. You could have 2 blitzers, 1 thrower, 1 catcher 3 rr. That would mean their starter roster was as strong as the other elf teams if thats what you are trying to achieve. Currently they either have to do have 2 blitzers 1 catcher 3rr, or 2 blitzer 2 catcher 1 thrower 2 rr. The first is lacking in positionals the second lacks in rrs. So the price change would mean a good starting roster at last.

Chaos - This is the biggest joke of all though. Why give leader to a minotaur, its nonsense. Also if you just dropped the minos cost by 10k then that would be more than enough, then you could have a Chaos starting roster with - 8 Beastmen, 2 Chaos Warrior, 1 Minotaur, 3 Rerolls,1000TV. That's a roster change that makes a lot more sense as Minotaurs are way over priced currently anyway.

I don't see khemri mentioned - hopefully you have just removed decay and left it at that, I know you were playing with TGs that started with break tackle but again that was far far too big a boost. Giving Khemri agility which is meant to be their weakness. Madness.

Last edited by Garion on %b %08, %2014 - %11:%Jul; edited 3 times in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Zed wrote:
AG 4 catcher for halfling with right stuff, pretty nice boost, can't say i'm not 100 % for ^_^

also they can't get hit with tackle. Shocked

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that the CRP+ deserves it's own page.

Keeping it on the same page confuses people and will give some people the impression that the former BBRC endorse the narrow tiers.

Yes, I know that there is a preamble but you know internet people. Most of them won't read it. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

also you should lay your rosters out in the same format as the rule book, so people don't have to read everything to see what the rosters look like.

Also why are you giving chaos a buff when nurgle are even worse at low TV? That doesn't make sense.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

I don't see khemri mentioned - hopefully you have just removed decay and left it at that, I know you were playing with TGs that started with break tackle but again that was far far too big a boost. Giving Khemri agility which is meant to be their weakness. Madness.

Looks like Khemri changes are part of the CRP+ rules, where humans get -10k on ogres and AV 8 catchers, while Khemri get Thick Skull on BlitzRas and ThroRas, and TG's lose Decay, AV goes to 8, and gain Break Tackle for +10k

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if I need to explain why one more time, but should this changes be adopted by FUMBBL, I'd very likely stop playing flings. There are so many ways to buff flings, if you wanna buff them (and I really think they don't need more than a small buff), you picked the worst options.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Xeterog wrote:
Garion wrote:

Looks like Khemri changes are part of the CRP+ rules, where humans get -10k on ogres and AV 8 catchers, while Khemri get Thick Skull on BlitzRas and ThroRas, and TG's lose Decay, AV goes to 8, and gain Break Tackle for +10k

ok well that is a terrible idea, yes remove decay add thick skull but giving them break tackle makes them more agile than elves Laughing Its a truly awful idea, its like giving elves Mighty Blow to start, Khemri are slow and clumsy for a reason, don't buff their major weakness.

Kam wrote:
I don't know if I need to explain why one more time, but should this changes be adopted by FUMBBL, I'd very likely stop playing flings.

luckily this wont happen.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I play as part of a Long term league. Amazon and Norse fall apart by season 3-4. The minor damage just catches up with them over time.

That having been said I greatly think right stuff cancelling tackle on the block die will make dwarves less over powered. Stunty will have a better chance.

The kill stack does need a bit of a nerf in my mind its too powerful. So I think its better than CRP+ with your ideas.

Sneaky git makes it possible for elves to foul semi safely with their expensive linos, as well as help the goblins out a lot.

The rest of the mods change teams that I don't play enough or see enough played.

Last edited by Acheron143 on %b %08, %2014 - %19:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
bigGuy

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Blog post from Khemries point of view Smile
Beerox

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I never got the Khemri stuff. They're hardly Khemri anymore. The trick for CRP Khemri is precise positioning (a lost art, according to the old timers...). You must get it right the first time, because you won't be dodging around. It's tough but do-able, to keep this house of cards upright. AV9 is important in this effort - lose a Guardian and your job is twice as hard.

Anyways... What exactly is the problem? Just give Blitz Ras thick skull, and maybe remove decay. Done. If you want to go crazy then make rerolls 60k.

Just because some Khemri-hater had a gimmick idea 5 years ago doesn't make it good. Khemri have a place in the game and they should stay, and NTBB is nothing short of blasphemy.

Make a new team.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

exactly beerox, you have hit the nail on the head perfectly. It is absolutely insane making that change for all the reasons you say. heck it got tested in the vault pre crp anyway and got vetoed.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason we have such trouble tweaking the rules is that the top skills need a re-write. Block, Dodge, Tackle, Guard, MB, and PO are all no-brainer skill picks, and the more you have of them on your team the better it will perform (as long as you don't have AV7). This is the root cause of every team's TV trajectory: if they have the good skills early, they outperform early. If they have access to the good skills late, they outperform late. It is as simple as that. Equalizing the skills will result in evening-out progression, narrowing team tiers, more diverse builds, less min/maxing, etc.

Examples
Dodge (A): split into dodging and defense. Stunty keep both. Amazons keep only defensive (anti-Stumble). Catcher types keep dodging. AG4 players develop slower.

Tackle (G): split into anti-dodge (with a -1mv benefit) and anti-defense. Dwarf Blockers keep only anti-dodge. Stunty-Dwarf matchups no longer grossly unfair.

Block (G): split into blocking and defense. Blitzer players keep blocking. Dwarf Blockers keep only defense. Norse keep only blocking. Flesh Golems get defensive version. Will lead to player specialization (off/def).

MB (S): move to E for Big Guys only, then split into +1 armour (G) and +1 injury (S). Gives all teams more hitty power and narrows the AV7 v AV9 gap. Big Guys can double up (+2/+2 with a doubles). Slows down bash progression.

Guard (S): introduce anti-guard skill (A) with downside. Reduces cage effectiveness. Puts premium on positioning.

Cost players at 5k increments

Allow 7 level-ups and narrow the gaps between levels (6/14/25/41/66/106/176)

Add a host of new skills for variety's sake, including a Cheating category for Goblins and doubles, where buffs to fouling can live (among other ideas).

etc etc.
 Jump to: