33 coaches online • Server time: 19:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Whose turn is it?
Chaos Pact
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Goblin
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Halfling
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Khemri
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Lizardman
31%
 31%  [ 30 ]
Norse
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
CRaPpy Ogres
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Slann
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
Undead
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Underworld
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 96

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

So having watched Humans and then Vampires both lift trophies for Majors this year after Necro did it last year, I was wondering what the community thinks will be the next race to win its first Major title? And why?

I'm putting my choices into general tiers...

Best Bets: Chaos Pact; Lizardman; Undead
These races all have some advantages over the rest of the pack such as Clawpomb access, lots of size and durability. Of these, I think Undead have better tools to deal with a variety of opponents and few negatraits just giving them a slight edge over Pact. Lizzies seem to me to have a couple worse "rock, paper, scissor" type matchups that can bounce them hard making them my least favorite.

Need Lotsa Luck: Khemri; Slann; Underworld
There are some flaws with these teams that make them a higher order of challenge to win it all such as Decay, lack of size and fragility. Having said that and knowing they've yet to get beyond a Semi, I think Slann could leap their way to steal some wins they shouldn't in an elf fashion and are my favorite from this group to win one. I know Khemri have made a final, but... decay. And Underworld have just a bit too much stunty to last.

With the Perfect Draw: Goblin; Halfling; Norse
In a scenario like this year's Crown of Sand where Goblins got paired with Khemri (oh, Goblins, you had such a great opportunity!), we could fantasize about these teams sneaking into and then overcoming long odds in the following 8-team final tourney. Otherwise, they just break too easily to endure. So, Goblins are my pick from this group. 'flings are just too slow and Norse are just rendered helpless in too many high TV matchups compared to Goblins.

Err... Ogre(CRP)
The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of infinite or finite possible universes (including the Universe we consistently experience) that together comprise everything that exists: the entirety of space, time, matter, and energy as well as the physical laws and constants that describe them. The various universes within the multiverse are also called "parallel universes" or "alternate universes". However, in none of them does this race manage to win a Major!

Bonus points if you can provide which Major you think your choice has the best change to win!

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Pact are most likely. It really surprises me the don't have a win, already. Maybe everyone just plays Chaos instead?
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I see the tiers differently.
Best Bets: #1 Chaos Pact, #2 Slann, #3 Lizardman, #4 Norse, #5 Undead

Pact is #1 because CLPOMB and cheap fodder. The Marauders can all be built in anyway a coach desires meaning he has no real positional limitations. Plus the Renegades and Big Guys can both be used in so many different ways (or NOT used).

Slann is #2 because they are so similar to other teams that have already won PLUS they have Leap. They rival Skaven and the Elf races in Ball Stealing with the durability and punch Humans can muster. Plus... coaches here have had the least amount of time to learn to use them. Someone will figure out exactly how to play them optimally. At the moment coaches are just a few modifications away from breaking through. Maybe just 1 or 2 stat freak players will make the difference.

Lizardmen have been so close in the past. The team makes no sense to me. But other excel with them and I place my confidence in their excellence.

Norse are immune to Claw and because they start with Block they should be able to get enough Tackle to cut down Elves like weeds. It is going to take a special coach walking a razor-thin team build geared towards team depth and a take on all comers mentality. But I don't think a stat freak is needed. Just a coach that can see what I see in the roster... but who is a better coach than me.

Undead can make it. But it will require some serious CAS luck. By that I mean that your 2 Mummy CANNOT get a MNG result or get a Badly Hurt early in the game. Undead change so dramatically when they lose 1 or both Mummys. The nerfing of Fouling hurts this team so much. It will also take a patient team builder that knows how to keep this team from growing too fast. A slow steady rise to the top seems to be a key for this team in my opinion.

Need Lotsa Luck: #1 Khemri #2 Underworld

Khemri got so screwed by gaining Decay and losing Mighty Blow and general skills on the Tomb Guardians. Add that to the Fouling Nerf and Khemri as a roster drops like a rock. If this was still LRB4 Khemri I would rank them 1st or 2nd among Forlorn teams. If this was still LRB4 Khemri might have already Unforlorned.

Underworld... Skaven without the Gutter Runners and instead Goblins. In some sort of perfect draw with lots of luck on their side including a few Fofeits. Otherwise, NO.

No Way, No How: #1 Ogres, #2 Goblins, #3 Halflings

Ogres... MAYBE under LRB4 roster. Now... NO.

Goblins... NO.

Halflings... NO.
JigerJones

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I still sigh when I think about how I shoulda won one with my old Box Pact........
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of people hate on Underworld, but I've found them alright. Surprisingly, Goblins are more durable than Linerats against casual blocking: TPOMBers can go crazy on them, but if they PO they find themselves surrounded by cheap foulers and hard hitters. Underworld Blitzers are among the best players in the game given a little development, and Mutation access really helps the Linerats and Throwers too. They're definitely not a top-tier race, but I rate them better at high TV than most forlorn races. At peak, they're good against many of the other forlorn races, too: Undead often lack sufficient Tackle, and well-built Blitzers are really hard on Mummies and Ghouls.

Last edited by JackassRampant on Aug 22, 2015 - 06:46; edited 1 time in total
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see Underworld taking a title, but I suspect the team will use the Claws all menz mantra and take claws as a first or second skill on 7 out of 11 starters
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

IDK about that, but yeah, lotsa Claws. 4, maybe 5: Troll, both Blitzers, one Linerat, maybe 2. I tend to build Throwers as carriers, but that's partly luck 'cause I've been rolling lots of doubles.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Officially, are Ogres still non-forlorn, or did they get relegated with CRP?

With a good coach (ie. not me), some luck and good draw, any team can make it. My bet is on lizardmen, they've come close a couple of times.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizards are favourites, but Norse is not a lost cause. I was effective with them already up to 1500-1600 TV in the box, and I can see them effective up to 1800 easily, without bloated skills. As it was said earlier, bench is needed, and fouling should be part of the strategy.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Pact can find themselves outmuscled though. As any Slann coach will tell you, AV8 can be VERY misleading!

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
Officially, are Ogres still non-forlorn, or did they get relegated with CRP?

With a good coach (ie. not me), some luck and good draw, any team can make it. My bet is on lizardmen, they've come close a couple of times.

Officially, they've been relegated with CRP.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunties ain't gonna win. Lizards can with the perfect draw and/or a lot of luck. The other races can win if a top coach chooses to handicap himself with a crap race and plays well and gets lucky.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy is right!

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm convinced Flings can win the GLT. They already have a free ticket to the main draw. It sure would require great stunty coaching skills, a few stat freaks, and luck (did I mention luck? Yeah, I really mean luck Very Happy), but it's "just" 4 games in a row. Extremely hard? Damn right! But impossible? I don't think so.

However, I don't give them a chance in the FUMBBL Cup Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2015 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
Stuff

Ogres... MAYBE under LRB4 roster. Now... NO.

Ogres did in fact win a major under LRB4 rules.

Last edited by zakatan on Aug 22, 2015 - 14:48; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: