30 coaches online • Server time: 18:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Purplegoo is..
An uber n00b
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
So n00by he doesn't understand 'n00b'
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Too much of a n00b to enjoy pie
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Aware of Macavity, but too much of a n00b to really understand him / her / it
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Forgetting that this is a bit of a passe thing to do in forum threads
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2014 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it might serve as reference if anyone else experiences the same issue later.

I'm using Hydra IRC, have always since day one, and have not moved in a couple of years. Tonight, when it tried to auth my account, it decided that '-authServ- Your hostmask is not valid for account purplegoo.'. xnoelx was kind enough to point me at the help page dealing with hotmasks, and I used that advice to try and set up another one for my current location (I also tried the 'every location' option just to see).

When I did, I got the message ' -authServ- You must first authenticate with authServ.'

So, it seems I cannot add a hotmask (it's decided I need despite being in the same location I always am) because I am not authed, but I cannot auth because I have the wrong hotmask...

I've had a brief Google, but I'm sorry to admit I'm an utter n00b at such things. Any bright ideas?

Cheers!
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2014 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Which browser are you using? If firefox then download chatzilla and follow the instructions in the help page for setting it up. Its my IRC of choice as you run it from your browser and its really neat and tidy. For me its the best irc about, but different strokes for different folks. If you need help setting up just let us know.

Sorry, not so much a fix as a work around.

I doubt it is anything to do with this but it is possibly a DNS or IP issue, if you try turning your router/modem off for about 10 seconds and turning it on again it could potentially fix this issue, but I doubt it. Easy to try though.

edit: another thing to try along those lines is run command prompt (window key and R at the same time, then type CMD and press ok or run which ever it says) then once in command prompt you could try flushing your DNS, type this in then hit enter 'ipconfig /flushdns' (without the apostrophes), again I'm not convinced this is what is happening here but its possible.

you could also try releasing and renewing your ip address once in command prompt, even less likely to make a difference but its possible -
To release your Ip address type 'ipconfig/release'
Enter

Then to renew your IP address type in command prompt 'ipconfig/renew'
Enter

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2014 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have a go tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas!
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2014 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I got Chatzilla thanks to Garion. It works for me and I am a mega noob.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2015 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

When you get some kind of message like "-authServ- Your hostmask is not valid for account purplegoo." and if you can't get back your old mask (because you moved home, changed ISP...).

Your only possibility is to ask some IRCop to do the job for you (changing the mask to * or anything like that), either with a Ticket or using #FumbblAdmin.