45 coaches online • Server time: 11:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Good idea?
Yes, that would make everything cooler
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
No, you're overlooking something, and I'll explain in-thread
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
No, I'm only happy when I cause permanent injury to someone else's team, and this reduces the permanence of the virtual pain I can inflict
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 48

Village_Idiot

Post 5 Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh no, it's another nuub with ideas!

Yeah, sorry.

OK, apologies out of the way, the neighing begins:

Since I'm not that brilliant, I find I do better when I focus on just a team/race or 2-3. Currently, that's Orc, Elf and Lizard.
I recently used my potion on an elf thrower (+AG, Accurate, another skill or 2, I liked him. Eliminated 2 busted stats)

This got me to thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if potions were more common? I reckon most of us enjoy the team growth aspect, and it's always a shame when a nicely developed player gets maimed in to irrelevance.

So, a suggestion:

1. Make potions a purchasable option.
2. Set their price at something significant, so buying a new player is a better deal. 150k? 200k?
3. No limit on # of purchases.
4. Set code so potions cannot be used during tournament play; injuries suffered during that have an effect for the remainder. But if the target survives, he might find a potion waiting at the other end.

Seems like that approach screws no one, obviously any CAS sticks during a match, and would stick during a tournament. Meanwhile, we all get to keep our more beloved pixels, be they throwers who pass at 2+ at long, or tentacled ClawPOMB monsters with jump up.

Perceived downside: this makes the potion rewards that many currently covet less valuable. That's not irrelevant, those were given out to be significant.

Suggested solutions:
- Make them multi-use. 3? 5?
- Give them additional powers. Stat-boost of your choice?

Thoughts, curses, rants, I'm all ears.
Also, don't believe a damn word Cavetroll says. Not one.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

ummm,

no

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

For league I see no problem w/ this, but ranked or box I give this a big N-O.
Potions are rare for a reason & beyond another kick-starter or, dare I say, 3,000,000 games Shocked they should remain so.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

no,
or just if the price is 10.000.000 for really impresive farming teams
Sionis

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If that idea ever flew, I'd say the price is a money donation of x-dollars to Fumbbl.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

And lets have player transfers and get rid of both claw and piling on and implement that Space Marine team and...

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sionis wrote:
If that idea ever flew, I'd say the price is a money donation of x-dollars to Fumbbl.

Pay per play FUMBBL makes Grod Sad

Oscar Wilde
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

potions are for hardened, funny, famous, likeable coaches, not for huggable pixels.

Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, aside from the fact that very few coaches want to house rule FUMBBLs competitive divisions (or would anyway agree on which house rules they would be) pixel huggers give me an edge to win! Lots of my opponents play sub optimally in order to preserve players or to farm their skills. This is a huge feature of Blood Bowl as an ongoing League. Luckily I dont pixel hug so it helps me win, but my teams develop slowly. Its all part of what makes BLOOD bowl interesting. Poker is only interesting when you care about the stakes.

Oscar Wilde
Village_Idiot

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, a response that actually tries to discuss the notion.

Nightbird wrote:
For league I see no problem w/ this, but ranked or box I give this a big N-O.

Gotcha, what kind of issues do you foresee?

Quote:

Potions are rare for a reason & beyond another kick-starter or, dare I say, 3,000,000 games Shocked they should remain so.

What is the reason they're rare?

Mind you, I'm trying to disconnect the rewards at 1m and 2m game from the 'purchase potions' suggestion; those rewards should be special, hence the suggestions to amplify them.

And naturally, I care about as much about the opinion of ClawPOMB fanboys as they care about mine.
Village_Idiot

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies, failed to notice this response.

Grod wrote:

Luckily I dont pixel hug so it helps me win, but my teams develop slowly. Its all part of what makes BLOOD bowl interesting. Poker is only interesting when you care about the stakes.

There seems to be a logical inconsistency there.

I think we agree that FUMBBL play is special, and I think we also agree that it's special in no small part because teams can develop substantially. Kind of like the difference between just playing a wargame till the last hitpoint, vs campaign play.

Yet, you seem to look down upon this; wouldn't you agree that if everyone shared your "BLOOD bowl" philosophy, FUMBBL would be less special?

Conversely, since potions cause even more pixel hugging, wouldn't that further your mode of play?

I generally hold that coaches who primarily play to CAS out their opponents should be playing a war game.
krytie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The price would need to be at least 1,000,000 but even then i don't eally like the idea. But how about this:

Potions available as inducements, for 1,000,000 usable in post-match sequence only. Unused induced potions disappear when you ready your team (Use them or lose them) Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we just do away with injuries and dead players anyway. I mean, it sucks! Keep 'em until you retire 'em! I think we should form a pixel union to represent the oppressed playing pixels on FUMBBL because they have it so rough. Did you see the news? 1 million dead now. That's horrific!

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Village,

The issue is that something like this will be abused very quickly by certain people. To give you a thumbnail rundown:

1. Make a Dark Elf team.
2. Keep TV low and accumulate lots of gold.
3. Build up team - use potions to prevent player loss.
4. Power level of team would be high enough to be heavy favorite in any tournament.

The thing is - people already try to do this with Dark Elf teams - cherrypicking really really hard to put an awesome team together. What you are suggesting makes it sooo much easier and people are going to be able to put together superstar teams that are unstoppable by normal teams.

Case Study: Pimped DE Team
Notice that this team has already consumed 2 potions. Just imagine if they did not have to retire their 2 witch elves and had no injuries on the team. Everyone who wants to be competitive would end up playing teams like this - it would make tournaments very dull personally as some teams would have even less chance than they do now.

Anyway, that is just my point of view.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Village_Idiot wrote:

I generally hold that coaches who primarily play to CAS out their opponents should be playing a war game.

I suspect that they were aged 12 or less when the movie Rollerball came out. They probably sneaked in to see the AA rated movie and were never the same again.

The school playground after that movie is what made us what we are today. Twisted Evil

Jump to: